OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

Did any class 71s ever receive full yellow ends whilst in green? I thought I had seen a picture of one but can,t find it now and I'm not sure if I imagined it.

Also what about Stewarts Lane's pet E5015 which was generally kept very clean for the Kent Coast Pullman trains along with flags?

Hi mate,

Lots of variables, but work on an individual price for 1000 people, and tooling plus unit cost for those must reach that figure or be less than.

I have plenty of production capacity available at the moment in my factory's.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for that.  Right now I'm committed to getting "King's Oak" ready for RM Live in September but I will have a look into this a bit more, once that is out of the way, using your Class 71 appeal as a template.  I assume it is reasonable to expect the figures you will be using for the 71 would be similar for say an AL6? (Oops, giving too much away there...!)

ha or the idea i had was a jv with Heljan.

use their well regarded AL6 chassis (trchnically not correct for flexicoil class 86 members ) on a kickstarter project for covering a new bodyshell that fits onto the danish chassis.

• Like 1

good comparison provided you refer to a 00 gauge AL6. all hypotheical of course.

both bo-bo

both have pantographs

both similar sizes

similar sized packaging

would you get a 1000 "stakes" on an AL6 though?

It depends really on how much it would cost to make provision for Flexicoil springing.  The original AL6 - 86/0 design would run to four livery variants, two original blue and two corporate blue, and if separately fitted jumper cables could be easily added into the design at modest cost, an 86/3 could be easily accommodated without any flexicoil springing, none of which have been made by any OO RTR manufacturer.  All the livery variations would of course parallel the Bachmann 85 which lets face it, must have sold more than 1000.  Of course if the flexicoil springing could be an easy hit within the budget, then the 1000 could be spread over many more livery/body options.

Perhaps we should move the discussion elsewhere, including the AC Loco Group forum.

ha or the idea i had was a jv with Heljan.

use their well regarded AL6 chassis (trchnically not correct for flexicoil class 86 members ) on a kickstarter project for covering a new bodyshell that fits onto the danish chassis.

You know, I still think, especially now Bachy have announced the 90, we might yet be able to persuade a Sheffield based retailer who has recently resurrected the Heljan 58 as a commission to look at some of the liveries they never produced as a commission.  IC Exec, RES, RFD, Freightliner grey, all possible with the existing body style (inergen bottles excepted)

• Like 1

Hi mate,

I couldn't have put it better than Matt if I'd tried.

It's my intention to produce this model, but funds don't permit at present, as cash flow is tied up ( as you can probably imagine).

By kick starting this model, it gets made quicker and the modeller who subscribes will get it cheaper with running numbers that probably won't get done when normal production starts ( probably 12 months after the Kickstarter sign ups get theirs to give them a bit of exclusivity).

I'll also be sending out special numbered certificates to those that subscribe, to give it more exclusivity.

Cheers

Dave

Dave, DJM Class 71 now available to pre-order with Kernow Model Rail Centre. I'm confused now, where should I order from?

Did any class 71s ever receive full yellow ends whilst in green? I thought I had seen a picture of one but can,t find it now and I'm not sure if I imagined it.

More than one according to Haresnape.  I thought I have seen a picture of one as well, been trawling the most obvious books not found it yet.

Dave, DJM Class 71 now available to pre-order with Kernow Model Rail Centre. I'm confused now, where should I order from?

Hi mate,

Slight slip up that I've now corrected.

The 4 models listed here are for kick starters only.

If the project comes to fruition this way, I'll release other models 6-12 months later with different codes and numbers etc, at the £139.95 price as the Kickstarter price is for sign ups only.

Cheers

Dave

If the project comes to fruition this way, I'll release other models 6-12 months later with different codes and numbers etc, at the £139.95 price as the Kickstarter price is for sign ups only.

Cheers

Dave

That's answered one of my other questions.

This is from today's Kernow newsletter:

"We are pleased to announce that DJ Models have granted us exclusive rights to weathered modern-image models in OO Gauge. We look forward to working with DJ Models and Mercig Models to continue producing high-quality, realistic, factory-weathered models and will announce details of specific variants of the Class 71 and Class 59 in due course."

• Like 1

good comparison provided you refer to a 00 gauge AL6. all hypotheical of course.

both bo-bo

both have pantographs

both similar sizes

similar sized packaging

would you get a 1000 "stakes" on an AL6 though?

I'd be more surprised if you didn't get 1000 stakes on an updated AL6.

If it included some of the earlier Class 86 versions I'd order several ... just dont tell SWMBO ;)

ISTR the prototype Southern Railway OLE was in the yard at Balcombe, dear to the hearts of members Re6/6 and 10800.

(10800 awakens from RMWeb slumber - other things going on in my life at the moment).

Brilliant news Dave, I had a feeling that someone would produce this fairly soon, pleased it's yourself. I hope (believe) it will be a great success.

Ian, yes Balcombe was the trial site together with Lovers Walk in Brighton. We don't think it was ever used for revenue purposes, although of course it will be on our model! Oddly it was the Eastern section that went for the OH yards, the Central addressed the issue by just having 3rd rail in the reception roads.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Oddly it was the Eastern section that went for the OH yards, the Central addressed the issue by just having 3rd rail in the reception roads.

I think the justification for the electrification of the South Eastern, and construction of the ELs, must have included a forecast increase in Continental traffic. On the Up side at Hither Green a large new Continental Depot was constructed, and the ELs were to be seen - as has been mentioned earlier - with trains of ferryvans to/from Dover. The Central had the Hornbys for the Newhaven Boat Train and certain freights were also electric worked (00.34 MX Norwood to Brighton comes to mind) but had no need of further OLE, or of the new ELs.

And, of course, the SE didn't really need 24 ELs, as evidenced by the decision to rebuild some as Big EDLs for the Bournemouth Electrification in 1967, when they were still quite new.

• Like 2

I think it was originally intended that more of the Kent Coast passenger trains would be loco-hauled after electrification too

Yes, I recall reading about that some years ago (which was borne out by one or two old hands at Beckenham) - there was a school of thought that the peak requirement for EMUs was so much greater than off peak that it would be uneconomic to match CEP production to peak demand (although later events changed that, together with the arrival of the VEPs and the use of HAPs on semi's). The 71's were to drag Mark 1's for the peaks and for boat trains (to allow an extra BG to be hauled) and then work freights off peak or at night. Can;t recall why the strategy dramatically changed after the locos had been constructed, but I can think of a few plausible explanations - MLV's negated need for extra BG, freight demand below expectations and at the wrong end of Kent, causing major light running, inefficiency (extra crews and locos) at London SED termini due to no loco release loops - but i don;t recall reading an "official" record of that decision. I guess there must have been a decision not to build the 60's equivalents of DVT's, or push-pull sets, which was the option taken by SNCF for example, in favour of standard EMU operation, but all the histories I have read don't really consider this alternative. Anyone seen anything more definitive?

and don't forget they were side lined by the brilliant concept and execution of the 73's - Southern Region genius at it's best - possibly the most versatile loco's ever built.

Crikey it's over 35 years since I first saw the line of stored 71's in No.1 siding behind Gillingham signalbox as a callow 13 year old and realised that "my" railway could disappear...................

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

and don't forget they were side lined by the brilliant concept and execution of the 73's - Southern Region genius at it's best - possibly the most versatile loco's ever built.

I think one or two US supporters might mention the New Haven's FL9, which did the same sort of thing a few years earlier, with access to electric-only Grand Central Station in New York as a result. And they were 1750/1800 hp on diesel, while the 600 hp EDLs could get a bit breathless and/or hot.

• RMweb Premium

I think it was originally intended that more of the Kent Coast passenger trains would be loco-hauled after electrification too

Don't overlook the fact that at the time the 71s were designed and built the Thanet resorts still received regular through trains from beyond the SR requiring locomotive haulage.  While 71s might have figured in the planning those remained in the hands of diesels with 24s and 33s recorded until 47s were in more widespread use.

Dave - have you approached the SEG in your quest for Kickstarters?  I'm sure there would be interested members there who might not see the project anywhere else.  Point of contact here : http://www.southernelectric.org.uk/modelling/

Once the Kickstarter page goes live in addition to any work Dave does to help it along it really is in the best interest of those who want this model to make prospective backers aware of it (and this is in fact one of the key reasons Kickstarter works - word of mouth by those who want a project to succeed).

This is really good news although, for me, it would be better if it were the other way around. ie. Class 74 first. Can't use a 71 but could find room for 3x 74s.

It's really great to see the amount of enthusiasm for something that wasn't around for long and which was restricted to a fairly small geographical area.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent news Dave. I wish you every success with the project.

Could I make a request at this early stage please? Would it be possible to design in sufficient tolerance in the bogie frames to make conversion to EM or P4 to save the usual filing away the inside faces of the frames? This would need 2mm extra between the insides of the frames.

I know that EM and P4 modellers represent a tiny proportion of 4mm modellers in the general scheme of things but it would make life so much easier for us and could possibly increase your orders.

Many thanks. 

Hi mate,

I will definately try, and I'm already thinking about bogie frames with a thinner wall taken from the inside face to cope with this, and having these available as a spare at launch.

No promises, mind, but I'll definitely try.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 5