OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

Wow, it's exquisite! Everything that l'd hoped that it would be.

As for frame space, there's enough for Proto Irish 21mm gauge! Such a rarity these days in RTR. Many thanks Dave.

Got my 'package' from KMRC yesterday. Didn't realise that I had actually bought four class 71's. Have to see my GP this afternoon for a routine check up perhaps he will certify me as an idiot at the same time as changing my current medication.  Anyway, all I can say is that I am as pleased as punch with these locos. I have 71008 (blue weathered) sound chip fitted and running round my track with weathered goods vans.  It so looks the part. 

OK there are a few niggly problems with the loco but these will soon get sorted, I am sure, when I can give these models a bit more of my time. And yes I did stop and read the instructions before running and act upon them. The DC kits chip really does bring the model to life. Yes, that's got a few little problems as well. Doubtless a call to Leeds next week will sort them out. 

In essence these class 71's really look the part - on a par with the SLW class 24s I will say. The chip was EASY to fit - even for a complete beginner like me. And 71008 ripping through my stations with its dirty goods wagons in tow and that high-pitched whistle blowing takes me back some sixty years to memories of standing on Folkestone Central station waiting for the train to Dover and school.

Thanks Dave for all your hard work on this project. It hasn't been easy- there have been many problems along the way.These models don't cost an arm and a leg to purchase. And I hope many others go on to buy them and make this venture a success.

Thanks once again.

• Like 3

I got mine today. Body removal was easy, I only had to pick the thing up and the chassis dropped out like a shot.

Bogies are really stiff too, to the point they barely turn and there is no up and play on them. As soon as it sees a corner, it derails. Is there a way to loosen them off? There are no retaining screws like Bachmann.

Detail wise, it is excellent.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the reply, I've tried the Legomanbiffo sound decoder and a Gaugemaster DCC27, which says it's a 4 function decoder. It looks as though function 3 controls the forward cab light (F1button), and function 4 controls the reverse cab light (F2 button), but I may have got this wrong of course. I was expecting the head code lights to use F3/Aux 1, but it looks as though it's the forward cab light.

On reflection I think you actually need a decoder with 5 functions not 4.  On my loco the head codes worked using a Lenz 21-pin decoder that is described as having 5 functions - A, B, C, D and E which are assigned as follows:

A+B (F0) - front and rear marker lights

C (F1) - cab lights end #1 (function output 1)

D (F2) - cab lights end #2 (function output 2)

E (F5 on a Lenz system) - head codes (function output 3).

So if your DCC27 is counting the front and rear lights as two functions then it won't operate the head codes as there's no spare.

Perhaps Dave could confirm that you need a 5-function decoder to work all the lights as designed.

Great to see all the photos appearing now :)

Pantograph, seems to be retained by a little screw on the underside inside the body.

Mine seems not to grip anything but the pantagraph stays in place ok.

What would be best to make the screw bite?

Speed, so it seems flat out mine runs at 55 mph, which I am more than happy with and the long control range gives fantastic running at slow speed :)

But is this just a case of running in or just the limit of the mechanism?

Oh on the bad news front I see Hattons have sent back the whole lot of the golden arrow ones that I was getting tempted with.

Blimey :( 

Great to see all the photos appearing now :)

Pantograph, seems to be retained by a little screw on the underside inside the body.

Mine seems not to grip anything but the pantagraph stays in place ok.

What would be best to make the screw bite?

Speed, so it seems flat out mine runs at 55 mph, which I am more than happy with and the long control range gives fantastic running at slow speed :)

But is this just a case of running in or just the limit of the mechanism?

Oh on the bad news front I see Hattons have sent back the whole lot of the golden arrow ones that I was getting tempted with.

Blimey :(

I’m not waiting for these but I find it encouraging that Hatton’s is prepared to reject something which is regarded as sub-standard. That’s worthy of respect.

I’m not waiting for these but I find it encouraging that Hatton’s is prepared to reject something which is regarded as sub-standard. That’s worthy of respect.

If you read Dave Jones' comments which are stronger Hatton's Dave then there it appears there was no option but to reject the whole batch.

Apparently no pantograph or pantograph well either, mu cables on the front, seemed heavier and the blue version had a 4 in the second character of the TOPS number.

On reflection I think you actually need a decoder with 5 functions not 4.  On my loco the head codes worked using a Lenz 21-pin decoder that is described as having 5 functions - A, B, C, D and E which are assigned as follows:

A+B (F0) - front and rear marker lights

C (F1) - cab lights end #1 (function output 1)

D (F2) - cab lights end #2 (function output 2)

E (F5 on a Lenz system) - head codes (function output 3).

So if your DCC27 is counting the front and rear lights as two functions then it won't operate the head codes as there's no spare.

Perhaps Dave could confirm that you need a 5-function decoder to work all the lights as designed.

That would make a lot of sense from what I'm seeing. I think directional lights count as two functions - when I've bought a 3 function decoders they've always had front and rear lights and one other function output, so a 4 function decoder would be using all available functions for directional lights, forward cab light and reverse cab light. I've got a TCS EU621 21 pin decoder which I can try as I think that's a 6 function decoder. If the head code lights are directional as well, this will need 6 functions. Thanks very much for your help with this.

Dave - could you tell us if this is correct and we do in fact need five function outputs from the decoder to operate the directional marker lights, front cab light, rear cab light and head code lights, or six function outputs if the head code lights are directional?

Does anyone know what the situation is with the Legomanbiffo sound decoder on this point, i.e. how many function outputs it has?

Cheers, Keith

Edited by skin_2

If you read Dave Jones' comments which are stronger Hatton's Dave then there it appears there was no option but to reject the whole batch.

Apparently no pantograph or pantograph well either, mu cables on the front, seemed heavier and the blue version had a 4 in the second character of the TOPS number.

Where are Dave's comments please?

• RMweb Gold

That would make a lot of sense from what I'm seeing. I think directional lights count as two functions - when I've bought a 3 function decoders they've always had front and rear lights and one other function output, so a 4 function decoder would be using all available functions for directional lights, forward cab light and reverse cab light. I've got a TCS EU621 21 pin decoder which I can try as I think that's a 6 function decoder. If the head code lights are directional as well, this will need 6 functions. Thanks very much for your help with this.

Dave - could you tell us if this is correct and we do in fact need five function outputs from the decoder to operate the directional marker lights, front cab light, rear cab light and head code lights, or six function outputs if the head code lights are directional?

Does anyone know what the situation is with the Legomanbiffo sound decoder on this point, i.e. how many function outputs it has?

Cheers, Keith

The TCS EU621 is indeed a 6 function decoder so it should work.  The head code lights are not directional. 

Thanks to Phil Parker for the loan of a Hornby Class 71 I have had a chance to put the two side-by-side and chuck together a quick 360.

Although I wrote the review of the Class 71 in isolation putting the two alongside each other it does highlight some points to me beyond the review although it would have been a little easier to observe some elements if they were in the same livery. As ever there are positives and negatives on both sides and the best would have been an amalgam of the two. I feel the Hornby model better captures the inwards taper or tumblehome of the front of the sides towards the nose. However, I feel the DJM has a better rendition of the changing radius of the front to side angle. Hornby's plastic handrails look finer than the DJM wire handrails. DJM's 71 has nice windscreen gaskets but the Hornby model has less prismatic distortion in the glazing.

I prefer Hornby's side window although I know the booster representation wouldn't look like that from outside; I would have been happier if the DJM window had been clear but with blackening on the inside. On the louvred side the rectangular access panel beneath the left hand Golden Arrow insignia clips the Hornby one is rivetted whereas it should be flush as on the DJM model.

I prefer the DJM pantograph assembly and the springs but the Hornby model has the right features in between the two outer springs. Hornby's model shouldn't feature the corner pillar vents in this livery.

The bogies and associated cabling on the DJM model are substantially better but are also a better width beneath the bodysides; the collector shoes look a lot better too. The cab front step on the DJM looks finer and captures the supports above and beneath the step whereas the Hornby model doesn't seem to have supports below. The steps on the buffer shanks on the DJM model feature a chequer plate pattern whereas Hornby's are smooth. The bufferbeam valance cutaway on the Hornby model looks clumsier and the fit of the DJM valance looks tidier.

Often though preferences are difficult to define but overall the DJM model feels much better quality. It would have been easier to make a value judgment based on RRPs but this has obviously been distorted by discounting.

• Like 3

I received my blue model today. Many very nice features, however one end has several indentions likely there before painting. I will have to return it.

The doors have sliver print or paint marks, these might be easily removed, but its already going back.

Only feature not impressed with is the  handrails, front cab ones have too big holes allowing them to be miss placed (or too thin wire), door ones don't follow the body profile.

Nice model in the main.

Cheers.

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

I've posted this on my web site under maintenance, and here to let you know what does what on the class 71.

Cheers

Dave

This didn't register with me earlier (post #1675) but here's Dave's definition of the lighting functions under DCC.  As you can see AUX3 is required on the decoder for the front and rear head code lights. 21-pin decoders with only 4 functions do not have an AUX3 output - you need at least 5 functions on the decoder for all lighting components to work. 

post-1144-0-79221200-1494926424_thumb.jp

• RMweb Gold

Can't wait to get my DJM one, the bogies and pantograph detail looks a lot better than the Hornby one, partway through it looks like one is sitting higher than the other above the buffer beams, is that the case or just the camera angle ?

The TCS EU621 is indeed a 6 function decoder so it should work.  The head code lights are not directional. 

That's what I thought too, so I tried it in the Class 71 and it behaved in the same way as the Gaugemaster decoder. I then tested it on my decoder tester and the outputs of Aux 3 and Aux 4 didn't light the LEDs. When I probed deeper it seems that the EU621, or at any rate certain versions of it, is not compatible with NMRA 21-Pin Standards, in particular Aux 3 and Aux 4 are logic outputs rather than amplified outputs and so they won't light an LED. Interestingly though the EU821 specifically says that it provides 8 lighting outputs and also says that it's compatible with NMRA 21-Pin standards, a statement that is absent in the description of the EU621.

Thanks for posting the bit about Dave's definitions of what does what, I obviously should have looked at that in the first place. However, what I'd really like to do is to get the Legomanbiffo decoder to turn the head code lights on and off - I'll ask Charlie about that to see if it's possible. If not then it may be necessary to fit an additional decoder just to control the head code lights, but I'd prefer not to have to do that.

Cheers

Keith

Edited by skin_2

Can't wait to get my DJM one, the bogies and pantograph detail looks a lot better than the Hornby one, partway through it looks like one is sitting higher than the other above the buffer beams, is that the case or just the camera angle ?

I think the bodies of both locos are not seated absolutely right, plus the turntable on which they're filmed is slightly sloping evidenced by the slight movement of both locos against their gear slop as the turntable goes around.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I dont recall seeing Dave Jones say anything about what you have listed above. Where did you read this?

Following my review of the all new DJ Models - Class 71 'HA' Electric Locomotive, in smart British Rail Blue Livery, here's a quick running session featuring the 71 in action, on parcel train, similar to what the class would of handled during the later part of there careers.
As can be seen she is a superb performer, handling a rake of 17 Mixed Vans, plus 20 Ton Brake Van with ease. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OP-UtQ16PE

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think the bodies of both locos are not seated absolutely right, plus the turntable on which they're filmed is slightly sloping evidenced by the slight movement of both locos against their gear slop as the turntable goes around.

Now you have spoilt the illusion! I thought they went round by magic ;-)

Great video. Thank you for doing it. Still waiting for my two: I should have paid up earlier.

Roy