OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

Legomanbiffo Sound Decoders are available for these locomotives, the DJ Class 71 offer is:

'send a copy of the first page of the instruction booklet' by e.mail to charlie@dckits.co.uk, stating the order number from the online order (EXAMPLE 007101) and the ESU Standard V4 decoder with a 20X40mm Speaker for the offer price of £100.00 + postage.  From d.c.kits-devideos.co.uk.

We have a sample here of the model, in makes the Hornby model look, as its been designed by people who know absolutely nothing about DCC or DCC Sound, its a brilliant,

well thought out model, designed by a modeller who knows what we want! a big well done from us here. 

Ian & Charlie

Charlie, I may be dreaming but here goes...

​Did you post with an special offer on sound decoders for the DJ 71? Mine are arriving tomorrow and I was going to order sound for at least one of them. I have gone back through this thread and tried using the search (which I never seem to win with) and no joy.

I may be going mad, if so please excuse me.

Cheers,

​Roy

Roy You weren't dreaming & you are about as mad as the rest of us who play trains model railways

With a bit of luck my 71 is on a plane heading in my general direction.

John

The Hornby Version I agree has a better pantograph, BUT it to falls apart quite easy, as for DCC its a Crap model, as for DCC Sound its a disaster, I know because I have fitted some, the dcc bit I think was designed by 'Mr Bean'   Honestly in the 21st Century its pathetic.   Charlie

Totally agree. After my one Hornby class 71 had been in the foam handling cradle a few times the pantograph literally fell apart and had to be  superglued back together. After drying out it looked as though the loco had been out in a severe frost. The DJ pantograph is a much tougher and much more resilient animal.

The whole DJ model just looks the part with all its detail. Fit a DC kits sound chip into it and you have a model that actually sounds like the real thing. OK it was 50 years plus ago but I can still close my eyes and hear these locos in Marine station now - the 'whirring' compressor and the piercing whistle blast as it departed/arrived.

And the DJ model version allows easy fitting (a 5 minute job) as well. True I have had a few running issues with the DJM class 71 that I have been using, but  I have to be honest and say that some track adjustments seem to have sorted them out.

To quote the modern generation the decision is for me  'a no brainer'. And no I am not in the pay of Charlie and his mate from DC kits or DJ models either. I just appreciate a fine model that is, I think as close to the real thing as an OO scale model can be.

• Like 7

The panto on mine has survived my cack-handed handling admirably so far!

More excitement for me today: Kernow have emailed to say my second one is on its way. E5004 in early green with lining will not be sound-fitted though. I intend to experiment with a TCS EU621 and a Lenz Silver + to see which gives better results.

In the meantime, like DoverPriory, I love the whistle and the compressor sounds on the legomanbiffo (or DC Kits if you prefer) sound decoder. I remember that sort of whistle on all of the older EMUs on the Brighton lines as well. 

Incidentally, I have not experienced any jerking or juddering from my LokSound decoder, which was actually originally a legomanbiffo class 350 adapted to a 450, but swapped out with a v3.5 decoder so both of my class 450s ended up with the same sounds and same performance characteristics, while the v4 decoder was reblown with the class 71 sounds almost as soon as Bif and Charlie launched them. I didn't even retune the decoder, it just worked properly straight from the get-go. In view of the reports from others in this topic, I can't explain why mine behaved so well. :)

• RMweb Gold

My two BR blue ones arrived today and what can I say, despite the fantastic photos that have been posted I was not prepared for them in real life - they are stunning.

I have not run them yet (that will be tomorrow) but the detail in them is top drawer, the bogies are even better than I thought and I have none of the minor issues that have been reported. Yes the pantograph is delicate, but I would rather that than an over-scale plastic lump on the roof.

Thanks to all involved from DJ himself to Kernow. Now, can I resist getting a weathered one, it is going to be tough...

Roy

• Like 1

I got an e-mail from Kernow this morning saying that my 2 Green Weathered versions (1 of each) have been despatched and are due some time tomorrow.  I'm very pleased with my "ordinary" green versions and can't wait for the (deliberately) "grotty-ised" ones.

If anyone is interested, this is the speaker installation I did with E5003. There is a small sugar cube speaker and a larger bass enhanced speaker, both of 8 ohm impedance, wired in parallel.

DJM%20Class%2071%20Speaker%20Installatio

I'll try to get a recording of it this weekend if possible - that usually requires some 'quiet time' when SWMBO goes out for a while!

Edited by SRman
  • Like 5

I got an e-mail from Kernow this morning saying that my 2 Green Weathered versions (1 of each) have been despatched and are due some time tomorrow. I'm very pleased with my "ordinary" green versions and can't wait for the (deliberately) "grotty-ised" ones.

You won't be disappointed! Mine arrived today and it is fantastic!

post-18888-0-97385800-1495636047_thumb.jpg

Edited by Funtleyworks
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

If anyone is interested, this is the speaker installation I did with E5003. There is a small sugar cube speaker and a larger bass enhanced speaker, both of 8 ohm impedance, wired in parallel.

I'll try to get a recording of it this weekend if possible - that usually requires some 'quiet time' when SWMBO goes out for a while!

Do you think the sugar cube gives a big benefit? I assume it brings out some of the higher pitch noises?

Roy

Blimey, just had a very unhappy bunny comment on my review video.

Some people are so negative.

I get people have opinions but it looks like a rubbishing attempt to me, if you don't like it don't buy it, tis very simple you know.

Check it out here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFYKMAO_2A8

I am still more than happy with the DJ model, looks like and therefore is a 71.

By the way this bloke commenting as A. J. Reed and Al Kaput is certainly out to rubbish the DJ model, my finger is hovering over the block option :(

Link edited.

Edited by mikesndbs

The DJModels class 71 was about the last loco on my wish list for my southern/south eastern themed layout. Although I could be tempted to buy a class 74 if someone makes a good sound chip for it. Looking at the locos I have available to run on my layout including (Bachmann EMUs,Thumpers, class 47s,Lord Nelson class Heljan class 33s, Hornby BoBs,WCs,(original and modified), Merchant Navys (original and modified) Britannias and Schools class there are three that stand out in terms of quality. For me these are the DJM class 71 (with Legomanbiffo sound), the SLW class 24 (with its own sound chip) and the re-tooled un-modified Hornby BoB/WC (with Legomanbiffo sound chip).

I would put the class 24 and the class 71 right at the top and  I cant divide them. And the in third place comes the Hornby BoB a fair distance behind. The rest of my fleet are what I would call OK to down right poor in terms of quality. Taking the loco and the sound chip as separate items 5/6 'items' in my list are not from the major suppliers. They are from new entrepreneurs. Long may this continue: these are people who really go for quality and dont just talk about it.  Future improvements in  this hobby I really do feel is in their hands. Dave's  journey with the class 71 hasn't been easy, SLW had problems before the success of their class 24 and the guys at DC kits have worked hard to produce some outstanding  sound chips.

All I can say is thank you to these 'guys'. I just hope the hobby will support them and drive forward REAL QUALITY in the models on offer in the future.

• Like 1

The DJModels class 71 was about the last loco on my wish list for my southern/south eastern themed layout. Although I could be tempted to buy a class 74 if someone makes a good sound chip for it. Looking at the locos I have available to run on my layout including (Bachmann EMUs,Thumpers, class 47s,Lord Nelson class Heljan class 33s, Hornby BoBs,WCs,(original and modified), Merchant Navys (original and modified) Britannias and Schools class there are three that stand out in terms of quality. For me these are the DJM class 71 (with Legomanbiffo sound), the SLW class 24 (with its own sound chip) and the re-tooled un-modified Hornby BoB/WC (with Legomanbiffo sound chip).

I would put the class 24 and the class 71 right at the top and  I cant divide them. And the in third place comes the Hornby BoB a fair distance behind. The rest of my fleet are what I would call OK to down right poor in terms of quality. Taking the loco and the sound chip as separate items 5/6 'items' in my list are not from the major suppliers. They are from new entrepreneurs. Long may this continue: these are people who really go for quality and dont just talk about it.  Future improvements in  this hobby I really do feel is in their hands. Dave's  journey with the class 71 hasn't been easy, SLW had problems before the success of their class 24 and the guys at DC kits have worked hard to produce some outstanding  sound chips.

All I can say is thank you to these 'guys'. I just hope the hobby will support them and drive forward REAL QUALITY in the models on offer in the future.

Here, here

• RMweb Premium

I get people have opinions but it looks like a rubbishing attempt to me, if you don't like it don't buy it, tis very simple you know.

Check it out here https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=CFYKMAO_2A8

By the way this bloke commenting as A. J. Reed and Al Kaput is certainly out to rubbish the DJ model, my finger is hovering over the block option :(

Your link took me to my own channel? (That I had forgotten I had!)  I didn't say anything about the 71??  I love mine!

• RMweb Gold

Check it out here https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=CFYKMAO_2A8

Funny thing is Al Kaput says the Hornby model is better and links to the SEMG review which says there is no runway leader and both have good and bad.

I assume Al Kaput lives under a bridge?

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Premium

The correct link is here:

Scroll down for the comments.

I believe that is what used to be called a 'Hornby Apologist' or a devotee of the red box who chants 'We never had it so good' over and over again.  They occasionally crop up asking when a super detailed model that Bachmann has released will be released by Hornby as they only buy red boxes...

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Gold

..... the SEMG review which says there is no runway leader and both have good and bad.

Roy

Which I believe is the correct assessment. Shape trumps detail when in motion in my book, even at a scale 55 mph....

Which I believe is the correct assessment. Shape trumps detail when in motion in my book, even at a scale 55 mph....

As the owner of 4 Hornby and 1 DJ, I'm not getting involved! But I'd love to see that SMEG review but can't find it! Can you post a link please?

• RMweb Gold

For me the shape is such a difficult one to judge, at some angles Hornby looks better, at others the DJ offering. I favour the DJ one as, for me, detail counts.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Funny thing is Al Kaput says the Hornby model is better and links to the SEMG review which says there is no runway leader and both have good and bad.

I assume Al Kaput lives under a bridge?

Roy

I just don't get the negativity, if you don't like it don't buy it, but trying to rubbish something many of us have been hugely excited and keen about seems unfair

Having just read this report I just despair for the hobby. Where is the objectivity here??The last paragraph made me want to weep. This is positively my last contribution to these columns I for one do not wish to be associated with drivel like this. From now on I plough my own furrow.

Link edited.

It is the same person who was ramming his opinion onto others in this topic and currently has his access to the topic removed and his posting privileges restricted.

• Like 1