OO Gauge Hudswell Clarke 24t 0-6-0ST

DJM Dave

Given the DJM track record of announcing things and it disappearing into the ether I wouldn't be exactly holding much hope of it ever appearing. I would be in the market to get one for a current industrial project I'm building but to be honest would want to see one in the flesh to make sure it's not a mechanical dogs breakfast like the Austerity tank. (the most impossible conversion to EM I've ever seen without resorting to building a new chassis)

Given the DJM track record of announcing things and it disappearing into the ether I wouldn't be exactly holding much hope of it ever appearing. I would be in the market to get one for a current industrial project I'm building but to be honest would want to see one in the flesh to make sure it's not a mechanical dogs breakfast like the Austerity tank. (the most impossible conversion to EM I've ever seen without resorting to building a new chassis)

In fairness, I don't imagine the model was designed with a conversion to EM in mind. It's still quite a niche scale.

In fairness, I don't imagine the model was designed with a conversion to EM in mind. It's still quite a niche scale.

And in fairness neither is any other RTR loco available in this country. But none of them are as bad as this. Edited by Persephone

And in fairness neither is any other RTR loco available in this country. But none of them are as bad as this.

I can't get my head around this.

This is a ready to run model in 00 gauge. It is not designed to be converted to EM - nor has this ever been communicated/advertised. The complexity with which it can be accomplished seems like an unfair yardstick with which to critique the model. Eg. My new Ford Focus does a terrible job of cooking eggs on the engine block - it's not half as good as my 1969 ford which has a much flatter engine with a metal casing etc etc

Besides which, EM gauge is easily achievable with this model through an RTmodel etched chassis frame, prototypical Gibson j94 wheels and vertical can motor sitting in the firebox - which is hollowed out to allow the geartrain of the DJmodels chassis to clear the boiler barrel. 

Paul A. 

It's quite simple really, if it's designed like the Austerity is then I won't be buying one (a HC) because as you quite rightly point out as per the Austerity, I'd have to buy another chassis for it. If however its a more conventional one axle drive then I will probably get one and rewheel it or better still get my wheel puller on the job.

And in fairness neither is any other RTR loco available in this country. But none of them are as bad as this.

In the interests of accuracy I believe there is an RTR OO loco on the market which is readily convertible to EM or P4 but it is a diesel (SLW class 24).

Personally, I think it is a trick that DJ has missed in not catering for finescale conversions in this manner, but that is his prerogative.

• RMweb Gold

Oh my, that's so funny....

Just taken a look at the description on the DJM website for this loco and hadn't noticed this line before,

"This model is already in development within the factory in China."

http://djmodels.co.uk/?page_id=375

Plus a price of £109.95 mentioned.

Cheers,

Keith

That page appears to have been removed.  This one is up at time of posting: http://djmodels.co.uk/product/hudswell-clarke-0-6-0-steam-locomotive-2/

Perhaps the significant line, for those straining to detect any sign of progress, is this "This loco will keep company in the DJModels range with the soon to appear J94", emphasis added. That suggests it's been "in development within the factory in China" for some time.

As with everything else, it'll either appear one day, or it won't!

In the interests of accuracy I believe there is an RTR OO loco on the market which is readily convertible to EM or P4 but it is a diesel (SLW class 24).

Personally, I think it is a trick that DJ has missed in not catering for finescale conversions in this manner, but that is his prerogative.

Ironically the Dapol austerity included an extra EM gauge wheel set (somewhat basic though). But the idea was dropped when the Terrier came out. I suppose to ideally easy to convert it needs to fit standards used by after market wheel suppliers. Those standards may not be easy to apply on a mass produced RTR model though.

There are some after market kits that do adapt to an existing model, I remember wheels for triange models. But none for the austerity.

It's quite simple really, if it's designed like the Austerity is then I won't be buying one (a HC) because as you quite rightly point out as per the Austerity, I'd have to buy another chassis for it. If however its a more conventional one axle drive then I will probably get one and rewheel it or better still get my wheel puller on the job.

Hi,

Applogies for missing this. The HC is slated to have a rear axle drive system with no other gears driving the other 2 axles, this being done by the con rods.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Applogies for missing this. The HC is slated to have a rear axle drive system with no other gears driving the other 2 axles, this being done by the con rods.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave

Great news, thanks Dave

• 4 months later...

Given the DJM track record of announcing things and it disappearing into the ether I wouldn't be exactly holding much hope of it ever appearing ........................................................

This thread seems to have disappeared into the ether since August ..... perhaps, with the announcement of a potential 'rival' 0-6-0ST on Monday, it might be time for a progress update on this ??!? 

• Like 1

This thread seems to have disappeared into the ether since August ..... perhaps, with the announcement of a potential 'rival' 0-6-0ST on Monday, it might be time for a progress update on this ??!? 

With 4 and a half years since announcement in July 2014, and zero announced progress to date, I would be surprised to hear or read of any change - much to my sadness as this was for me the most exciting of Dave's announcements!

Edited by dcroz

The bigger problem might be whether there is still enough of a market for it with Hattons having done the Andrew Barclay, Hornby doing / having done 2 versions of the Peckett, Hornby doing the Ruston.  Just how much of a market is there for small industrials?

The bigger problem might be whether there is still enough of a market for it with Hattons having done the Andrew Barclay, Hornby doing / having done 2 versions of the Peckett, Hornby doing the Ruston.  Just how much of a market is there for small industrials?

I'd personally say there is a huge market for industrials. most are sell outs. I have a peckett, have pre-order an 0-6-0 version and will get a Barclay when funds allow. I also have this on my wants list. the more small industrial tank the better. I can only hope someone does a HC 1800

I'd personally say there is a huge market for industrials. most are sell outs. I have a peckett, have pre-order an 0-6-0 version and will get a Barclay when funds allow. I also have this on my wants list. the more small industrial tank the better. I can only hope someone does a HC 1800

Hattons still have lots of Barclays, and at least 2 existing Pecketts have 10+ in stock.

I'm not saying there isn't a market for the Hudswell Clarke, but I am also not saying there is.  But with an abundance of small locos currently and soon coming anyone considering another industrial might be wiser to wait a couple of years given industrials are a niche part of the OO market.

• RMweb Gold

Hattons still have lots of Barclays, and at least 2 existing Pecketts have 10+ in stock.

I'm not saying there isn't a market for the Hudswell Clarke, but I am also not saying there is.  But with an abundance of small locos currently and soon coming anyone considering another industrial might be wiser to wait a couple of years given industrials are a niche part of the OO market.

I would definitely think that going for an industrial in the present fest of such designs needs some very careful thought about what to choose and some very long headed thought about the financing risks of such a project when you're up against the big boys even if it is still seen as a 'flexible' market area.  Anybody going into it will have to understand that they are going to be competing against what looks like a pretty high bar when it comes to standards of detail and quality etc which means tight project control and management to get the best result and a short development time.  If I was a loner with not much in the way of resources it's the last way I'd jump - the easy boat has long since sailed in this market.

• RMweb Gold

Judging from previous posts, it sounds like the Hudswell Clarke is already a couple of years away and counting.

I'll certainly be having one when it does arrive, but the amount of new competition that has arisen since it was announced makes my anticipated pair debateable.

John

The original factory has been lost. So back to square one. You can safely says its on the back burner for now.

I think the ship has possibly sailed for the HC, which is a real shame as I was really looking forward to it, and the marketplace was wide open back then. Still think it is viable but Dave has a huge mountain to climb, depending on how much work might have been lost over the China factory issues alluded to earlier. Back in August 2018 Dave said the geared axles concept wouldn't apply to the HC and maybe that satisfies "Persephone" - if the loco does eventually appear from China    

My 2 cents from working in a retail environment I would shelve the HC for the time being. It’s no longer the only game in town with Hornby’s Peckett’s and hattons Barclay’s I would instead go for a medium sized tender engine that could compliment what was already out there without going head to head with someone. Like the GWR manor or the SR U class. Not something niche and pregrouping. I couldn’t come up with any examples for the LMS & LNER as I don’t know to much about them. And it’s a shame really as I would have got a HC as I do really like the look of them.

Big James

Edited by Big James