OO Gauge Hudswell Clarke 24t 0-6-0ST

DJM Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I hope that DJM takes comfort from the fact that Hornby has announced the Peckett, because, I suggest, this is further evidence that there is a market for small steam-outline industrials.  Hornby's release will only increase the popularity of such subjects as industrial lines, collieries, light railways and preserved lines, all of whom utilised such charming little locos.

I imagine that the relative popularity of minimum space layouts will be a factor in sales also.

More power to you arm! 

Victorian Manning Wardle, anyone?

• Like 2

Depending on which class, I'd be up for two or three by the time I'd taken care of prototypes for light railways, Cambrian etc. Looking forward to the DJM Hudswell and the Hornby Peckett at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at the dimensions for some of the Manning Wardle 0-6-0ST they have different sizes of wheels but many have the same spacing.  Meatier tanks and boilers.  The GNoSR MW built 0-4-2T locos used in the docks would be very nice, BUT we are getting off topic.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I hope that DJM takes comfort from the fact that Hornby has announced the Peckett, because, I suggest, this is further evidence that there is a market for small steam-outline industrials.  Hornby's release will only increase the popularity of such subjects as industrial lines, collieries, light railways and preserved lines, all of whom utilised such charming little locos.

I imagine that the relative popularity of minimum space layouts will be a factor in sales also.

More power to you arm! 

I hope you're right on all points.

Would love a MW L- or K- class - with cabs rather than weatherboard for me though.

• 3 weeks later...

It is interesting that Hornby have plumped for the Peckett with examples from the 1890s and 1900s. Perfect for me. 

When it comes I will have to be brave and butcher the Hudswell Clarke, because it looks like only post-WW1 cab versions will be available.  That may make the difference between one (rather nervous) purchase and 2 or 3.

I am interested to know what the sales will be like of the Hornby Peckett in its various versions, because this has implications for other industrial loco releases.  The Huntley & Palmer locomotive should be strictly speaking confined to layouts of that company's biscuit factory, but I bet it will sell well because it is such a stunning livery.

The one that interests me most is Dodo.  She is to be finished in what was apparently Peckett's works livery of leaf green, applied whenever a customer failed to specify an alternative.  This means that the model may be easily used on the colliery/factory/light railway project of your choice, with little adaptation.

I suspect that a manufacturer's livery option is the way to go.  Manning Wardle's was, I think, blue.  What about Hudswell Clarke?

Does anyone know what the approximate release date for the HC is? Are we talking next year?

I'm trying to decide if I can afford a J94 as well as a HC but it depends when the Hudswells will be released because I can't justify two £100 models within less than about a year on my current wage, unfortunately.. it's that or the car!

When it comes I will have to be brave and butcher the Hudswell Clarke, because it looks like only post-WW1 cab versions will be available.  

An after-market etched cab to replicate a pre-war example would be nice...

EDIT:

Do you mean like this? 

HC_347a.gif

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor
  • Like 1

EDIT:

Do you mean like this? 

HC_347a.gif

Paul A. 

These days a 3D printed one might be possible -and much more likely to happen as they seem cheaper to set up.

Les

EDIT:

Do you mean like this? 

HC_347a.gif

Paul A. 

Yes

I believe this to be works no. 347 of 1892.  See also what I believe to be 325 and 327 of 1889 (black and white photographs) and 431 of 1895 (colour):

post-25673-0-07079200-1462039510.jpg

post-25673-0-22815800-1462039526.jpg

post-25673-0-81811800-1462039536.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing the above has prompted me to ask - does anyone have any drawings of any Leeds-built (Hunslet/Hudswell/Manning-Wardle/Kitson) locomotives? It's for 3Dmodelling.

Cheers!

Are they held at Statfold Barn?

Les

Kernow has three models listed. OOHC-001 DJ Models Hudswell Clarke 24t 0-6-0ST Locomotive Plain,  OOHC-002 and OOHC-003, both 'lined'.

Only problem with the big Bagnalls (Victor, Vulcan and the South Wales NCB one) is that there were only ever three of them.

The short wheelbase RSH saddletank is also nice, but did any escape from Cumberland?

A bit more widespread was the big standard 18" RSH type-

post-13358-0-10268000-1463487240_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-97537300-1463487307_thumb.jpg

or possibly a 16 inch Barclay, quite widespread and used by collieries and quarries- this one is from Harlaxton Quarry- there were several with the NCB in Scotland I believe-

post-13358-0-22234100-1463487473_thumb.jpg

Perhaps the Stephenson & Hawthorn Corby type is a little too close to the WD to be viable..

post-13358-0-73721000-1463487562_thumb.jpg

Just a few ideas...

Les

• Like 1