OO Gauge Hudswell Clarke 24t 0-6-0ST

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

Like the GWR manor or the SR U class.

Big James

When it comes to Russian Roulette for OO gauge that doesnt come any more loaded than that.

Dapol’s mogul and chassis puts them in shouting range of a Manor

Hornbys Grange chassis is the same as a manor, and some have upgraded older manors using this, and they have a tender ready to use

Bachmann has a Manor tooling, which isnt that bad, and could upgrade their chassis, refine some mould lines and put new lamp brackets on very quickly.

Personally I think its fool hardy for another party to risk going against those odds.

Given recent behaviours by other companies, I think a manor might continue its mexican standoff, best chance is someone to surprise us with an EP, anything other could see manors turn up like buses... several at once.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure I agree that there is no longer a market for this loco, people are saying 'because there are 3 new industrial steam locos out now, there is no market for any more', surely the opposite is true, the models are all different and the HC is vastly different to the Pecketts and AB in appearance, so it would compliment the other locos?

I can imagine with the Manor when someone announces it someone else will also announce one. Duplication does no Oma my favours

Big James

That really is quite ironic as this in in the DJ Models section, who announced the Q6 and the 59 (maybe others) as well as completing the 71 in competition with Hornby.  Of course what we don't know is who started their project first.

I'm not sure I agree that there is no longer a market for this loco, people are saying 'because there are 3 new industrial steam locos out now, there is no market for any more', surely the opposite is true, the models are all different and the HC is vastly different to the Pecketts and AB in appearance, so it would compliment the other locos?

And if Bachmann announce an industrial on Monday no doubt many will be keen to acquire one when its released in 202x.

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Gold

That really is quite ironic as this in in the DJ Models section, who announced the Q6 and the 59 (maybe others) as well as completing the 71 in competition with Hornby.  Of course what we don't know is who started their project first.

Hornby definitely started their Q6 first, by quite a margin according to my information.  Also from what I have been told Hornby scanned the Class 71 before DJM (although there is a wider story there as well which is part of the reason how I Hornby had scanned it first).   And Hornby's 'King' was known to be underway months before the Hatton's/DJM one was announced as it was hinted at far from subtly, in a handout from Steam, Swindon.   All well and good announcing second if you can be first to market but that application and nimbleness.

I think you are right to some extent. The appearance of industrials has created an appetite for more. The catch is that we need it produced to the standard of the Pecketts and Barclays rather than the Austerities.

I think you are right to some extent. The appearance of industrials has created an appetite for more. The catch is that we need it produced to the standard of the Pecketts and Barclays rather than the Austerities.

It has been confirmed that this will have a single gear and the wheels driven thence by the coupling rods (see posts 160, 163 above) rather than all wheels being geared so that should be well on the way to bringing it to the "standard of the Pecketts and Barclays rather than the Austerities" - hopefully no more all geared wheels steam locos.

It has been confirmed that this will have a single gear and the wheels driven thence by the coupling rods (see posts 160, 163 above) rather than all wheels being geared so that should be well on the way to bringing it to the "standard of the Pecketts and Barclays rather than the Austerities" - hopefully no more all geared wheels steam locos.

So far, so good. Will it be easy to open and will it have a conventional motor?

My 2 cents from working in a retail environment I would shelve the HC for the time being. It’s no longer the only game in town with Hornby’s Peckett’s and hattons Barclay’s I would instead go for a medium sized tender engine that could compliment what was already out there without going head to head with someone. Like the GWR manor or the SR U class. Not something niche and pregrouping. I couldn’t come up with any examples for the LMS & LNER as I don’t know to much about them. And it’s a shame really as I would have got a HC as I do really like the look of them.

Big James

There are plenty of options out there Big James.

In my view the wider historical coverage the better, so if it is possible to shoehorn in pregrouping and BR then it is a winner. Bachmann have already achieved with the LNWR "Super D" and the coal tank, and a follow up 2-4-2 radial tank would complete the trio in my view

A "trancendental " Western locomotive would be an "Aberdare".  81 built from 1900 and 4 scraped into Nationalisation in 1948.  Small tender loco with GWR character.

I would prefer a Midland 2F personally but appreciate there are subtle differences to complicate the production, but again a Pre Grouping loco which lasted into BR days, with the most obvious differences being cab types, ands again a small tender loco. 

• Like 1

Just read through recent posts in case renewed activity here betokened some news of the Hudswell Clarke.  It seems not.

I know it's not been cancelled, but, then, neither was the Hattons King! 

In fact, I have long been of the view that this will never see the light of day. I'd like nothing better than to be proved wrong, as it's a model I'd be keen to buy, but I have no expectation of ever seeing it. 

As many preserved railways run quite a lot of industrial locomotives I feel that more are attracted to these rather than many of the bigger engines.

There are at least 3 other industrial locos that others have not mentioned (Janus, RR 4&6wDH and the Sentinel 4wGT) with these choices many want more as many would realise that most lines seem to have a vast range of locos.

• Like 1

There are so many Industrials that could be done. In fact, I'm a bit surprised that Hornby decided to do the 6-wheeled Peckett - there are so many more they could have done. The standard Hunslet 0-6-0ST such as Beatrice and Jessie could be done in any number of liveries including plenty of industrials, for example. I do think there would be the demand for the HC if only some actual concrete information could be provided about it.

• AY Mod locked this topic