OO gauge Raven Q6 0-8-0 steam locomotive

DJM Dave

Photo courtesy of Ben Jones

A loco that I’ve had thoughts on for a good few years that I now get the opportunity to realise in OO gauge.

Using photographs, loco visits and Ravens plans, this model will capture the character of these distinctive engines.

Featuring a coreless loco mounted motor, heavy chassis, RP25.110 darkened wheels, DCC 21 pin decoder socket, space in the tender for a large DCC sound speaker and all wheel pickup, and variants of dome and a second tender (to follow).

RRP IRO £135.00

OOQ6-001 63395 early or late crest BR black, dome is flatter on top

OOQ6-002 3412 LNER plain Gill Sans lettering, (post-war) with smaller rounded dome

OOQ6-003 2280 LNER shaded lettering, pre-war, smaller dome.

OOQ6-004 63431 BR late crest (dome as 63395)

OOQ6-005 2238 lined NER black, as preserved

post-1144-0-90490300-1406108528.jpg

I can't help but approach this cautiously. There are as yet no pre-prod models of any of the previously announced DJ models, as it stands they are as far as I can see (and feel free to correct me if I am wrong) still at the CAD stage. This does also seem to be a choice born on the back of the "we won't touch it" discussion started initially by Bachmann.

I feel glad that the NER modellers have something to cheer for but I remain cautious in my outlook. Can Dave deliver? He has done so with the backing of a bigger company before. Whether he can do so on his own is something not yet proven.

Good luck, I hope it comes off and that railway modelling is the winner at the end of it all.

Hi S.A.C.,

Yes totally with you there.

I must admit the Q6 thoughts from Bachmann didn't enter my thoughts until recently, but I had been planning one for myself since I started and have had the plans for maybe 8 months now, thanks to sources.

It is just a list that has been started in 1 form or another, which is why I'm saying 2 years with no new announcements.

It gives these and the previously announced models time to come to market, and build a reputation as a manufacturer rather than a wish list producer.

Oh to have Bachmann's resources (financially) of course. :-)

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

A bold venture indeed Dave but hopefully a lot of folk will put their money where their mouths and wishlisting have been.  Incidentally picking up Simon Martin's point if you are using the same factory there are already examples of what they can achieve in the shape of Kernow's well tank and upcoming O2 and it increasingly looks as if they can deliver the goods.  Best of luck with this one.

Although I would have my  modeller's licence revoked if I bought one, even Rule 1 being a step too far, it's nice to see the other modelling minority, those who like the NER, getting their moment in the sun.  Having been told "NER? Haddaway an' Sh***" by the big boys, similar to those of us who model AC electrics having to put up with a constant refrain of "They don't sell" until Sunday's announcement, perhaps the time has arrived when received wisdoms will be left behind and using things like the "Kickstarter" idea will allow a broader range of less mainstream items to come forward at a lower risk to smaller outfits like yourself.

I can't help but approach this cautiously. There are as yet no pre-prod models of any of the previously announced DJ models, as it stands they are as far as I can see (and feel free to correct me if I am wrong) still at the CAD stage. This does also seem to be a choice born on the back of the "we won't touch it" discussion started initially by Bachmann.

Kernow are displaying EP's of their DJM O2s, They look absolutely fantastic.

https://www.facebook.com/207521425956079/photos/pb.207521425956079.-2207520000.1406111095./750463914995158/?type=1&theater

I notice that Dave has also taken over production of the Beattie well tank for the next run.

Apologies if I'm wrong but I vaguely remember that Dave has said that forthcoming locos will use very similar production values to that of the well tank (and the same factory?), I'm very confident that we can trust him!

I hope that this proves to be a commercial success Dave! A great surprise to see a big increase in size of the range.

Huge thank you Dave for finally bringing my favourite steam locomotive to life in OO gauge, I will be sure to buy 1 or 2 ;) I think bachamnn have missed out and you've made a great decision to produce this model, I can't wait for the NER lined version.

I know this is a real long shot, but when do you hope the model will be ready for?

Thank you!

Nelson

Hi Nelson,

I'm aiming for everything so far announced to be ready within the 2 years specified as I won't be announcing anything new ( except kick starters or outside commissions) until 2 years have elapsed.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

I must say it is fantastic to see the Q6 being tackled (finally!)

While I am partially with Simon knowing that there are no current models available from you, I do understand it's due to you just starting off. We can't expect a new company to announce a new loco and churn them out quickly (talking 8 months or so), without going through the whole design process properly. And for what we are being promised, it certainly is worth the wait in my opinion.

Now, about those P1s.....:)

Dave,

I must say it is fantastic to see the Q6 being tackled (finally!)

While I am partially with Simon knowing that there are no current models available from you, I do understand it's due to you just starting off. We can't expect a new company to announce a new loco and churn them out quickly (talking 8 months or so), without going through the whole design process properly. And for what we are being promised, it certainly is worth the wait in my opinion.

Now, about those P1s.....:)

Hi mate,

Yup, Simon is totally correct. I suppose until the Beattie, O2, J94 come out, I'm still an unknown quantity still, in my own right.

Cheers

Dave

Certainly a useful locomotive for myself.

Will you be producing the Pre war version with the smaller flatter smokebox door, the bulbous type on the preserved loco was a 1940s addition.

Looking forward to this! :)

• RMweb Premium

Dancing spreading to Scotland , watch out for me at 8pm tonight on the BBC. Q6 arrives to rapturous applause. Of course its partly tempered with the knowledge I won't get my Caley 812  for at least 2 years (come on  Dave , you know it makes sense!).  Seriously wish you well in this venture Dave. Great prototype . I just hope Bachmann haven't been working in secret all this time, somehow I doubt it!  Price of £135 seems reasonable in comparison to our Danish friends . So well done you.  Not quite signing up yet, but will certainly be watching developments and almost certainly will sign up for one before its released.

• RMweb Gold

Hello again, Dave - and yet another 'well done' from me!

The Q6 was well up in the Top 30 of The Wishlist Poll 2013 and third overall in the LNER Loco category (just behind the K1 and J15, but just ahead of the Claud Hamilton - all now announced).

(Note: The Poll Team makes no claim that models are made specifically as a result of The Poll. I am simply stating their relative positions.)

Proof of puddings is in the eating as they say, but I'm sure you have total commitment to see it all to fruition.

Kindest regards

Brian

Archived