OO gauge Raven Q6 0-8-0 steam locomotive

DJM Dave

Great choice. I reckon that this one will fly off the shelves. Is it too early to say what sort of production runs we might expect? Is it going to be a case of pre-order or miss out or are there actually going to be enough produced for the old fashioned alien concept of shops actually carrying some stock on their shelves?

It must be quite tricky trying to work out just how many of each version to produce but particularly on this one, I hope there are enough to go round!

I wish you great success with the venture.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I'm playing the stock side very carefully as I have neither the storage space or the cash to keep stock that might take a while to shift.

Ideally I will make enough for stockists pre orders, and a strategic reserve to cover any problem loco's.

I can always revisit previous production and turn round more models quite quickly.

I think the best thing is that customers will need to pre order to give me an idea , through stockists, what I need to manufacture.

I know this will annoy some customers, but it's worth noting that all stockists will be selling my models at within 15% of RRP for a period of 8 weeks of product launch, meaning that even the smaller stockist has a fair chance of selling my models. So by pre ordering from any one of my stockists ( yes it's a small list but I've invited 300+ Shops to become stockists) you are in fact supporting them with your custom.

If stockists decide to buy enough for their pre orders, and a few to keep in stock then that's almost the perfect scenario, but it's not something I'll be asking of them.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tony,

I'm playing the stock side very carefully as I have neither the storage space or the cash to keep stock that might take a while to shift.

Ideally I will make enough for stockists pre orders, and a strategic reserve to cover any problem loco's.

I can always revisit previous production and turn round more models quite quickly.

I think the best thing is that customers will need to pre order to give me an idea , through stockists, what I need to manufacture.

I know this will annoy some customers, but it's worth noting that all stockists will be selling my models at within 15% of RRP for a period of 8 weeks of product launch, meaning that even the smaller stockist has a fair chance of selling my models. So by pre ordering from any one of my stockists ( yes it's a small list but I've invited 300+ Shops to become stockists) you are in fact supporting them with your custom.

If stockists decide to buy enough for their pre orders, and a few to keep in stock then that's almost the perfect scenario, but it's not something I'll be asking of them.

Cheers

Dave

That seems fair enough to me and thanks for the insight. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the days of being able to go down to the local model shop and browse the shelves to see if they have anything of interest is one of those parts of the hobby that is probably on the way out. I can totally understand why. The notion of a production run that is designed to sell out without leaving lots of stock floating about is probably the way forward for the manufacturing side of the hobby.

Tony

It already is. One shop I use rarely has much owing to delays in production, but also that the cost of holding stock is now so expensive. With engines and coaches costing so much, ones on the shelves not selling are dead money sitting on a shelf rather than being passed to the end customer. Runs that aim for the total number preordered and then a few more would give the flexibility that the manufacturer would need.

The downside is that it does create demand when a new model is released and such demand pushes up the price more as they sell out quickly. Only a box shifter with a massive order really gives discount to clear older stock, but that in turn then puts pressure on smaller companies that have no stock left and sadly forces them out of business.

The advantage is that with a model announced you can work out what you want in advance and be given time to save for it.

One question I would like to put is this - suppose that this run does well and sells out overall. When and how big would the second run follow?

It already is. One shop I use rarely has much owing to delays in production, but also that the cost of holding stock is now so expensive. With engines and coaches costing so much, ones on the shelves not selling are dead money sitting on a shelf rather than being passed to the end customer. Runs that aim for the total number preordered and then a few more would give the flexibility that the manufacturer would need.

The downside is that it does create demand when a new model is released and such demand pushes up the price more as they sell out quickly. Only a box shifter with a massive order really gives discount to clear older stock, but that in turn then puts pressure on smaller companies that have no stock left and sadly forces them out of business.

The advantage is that with a model announced you can work out what you want in advance and be given time to save for it.

One question I would like to put is this - suppose that this run does well and sells out overall. When and how big would the second run follow?

I have the ability to order, manufacture and ship a repeat run in 3 months.

Hope that helps?

Cheers

Dave

Tried to pre order today at a DJM stockist......but they knew nothing about the Q6 other than what they read on this thread.

Hi mate,

Can you PM me who this was please as I mailed all stockists with every press release from the other day, and it might have lodged itself in their spam filter.

Cheers

Dave

It is an interesting problem that has been raised in the level of stock being held by a retailer. Here in Australia, Melbourne in particular, there is a dearth of stock, I was at one of the bigger retailers yesterday and the number of locos would have been about 30 British .. This might sound a lot but I have seen the cabinet groaning... It is hard to actually get the loco here in the livery you want. This is one reason why the Aussies tend to buy from the uk, let alone the 30% extra on the cost to buy locally.

I applaud the philosophy of pre ordering, as demonstrated by Dave's actions above. You have an idea of the stock control that the retailers have to deal with including the money tied up in stock. The one challenge is to get all the retailers to update there websites so that every one can preorder.

As an aside I did buy a book yesterday which I know has been on the shelf at the model shop for almost 7 years... I think the return on the stock had well and truly gone.

• RMweb Premium

Placed my pre order for 63395 Early Crest with Durham Trains of Stanley.

They're certainly aware of the model and seem as excited by the prospect as I am.

Great conversation and couldn't be fairer ordering terms. They have an excellent opinion of DJ Dave too.

I'll start wishing my life (well a couple of years or so) away now!

Regards,

John

Fantastic news, been waiting of someone announcing this for years!

Seeing this, I did think of ordering the J94 too, just to help it along business-wise, although I already have one,

but then had a look at those J94 CAD drawings, and decided I 'needed' one anyway.

Just back from Durham Trains, both BR ones ordered (and the J94!)

So was the infamous Bachmann comment this isn't worth touching just a wind-up with the inside knowledge that someone was?

Very pleased that finally one of the mainstays of north east freight (not forgetting the J27) has finally been chosen to be available over the counter. Very much looking forward to seeing how this model turns out as it's certainly something I've wanted to see for a long time (I'm completely biased - Q6's are one of my favourite classes mainly as it's the ONLY steam loco I actually saw in action in BR service down the Team Valley when I was a toddler).

Alas I only stumbled across this thread the day after actually buying a Q6 kit as I didn't see any indication that they were ever going to be modelled RTR! :umbrage:  

So I can't afford a pre-order but want to 'express my interest' all the same for what it's worth and hopefully can buy one later when they're released.

Hi Dave,

Do we need to pre-order these with a dealer or will there be a pre-order/expression of interest option available on your website (like the J94 and other previously announced models)?

Hi mate,

A little later this week you'll be able to go on the website and express interest.

It's been late coming as my web chap has been on holiday and upon return very busy.

Cheers

Dave

I have only just been made aware of this fantastic announcement.  I will be definitely "expressing interest" once the website issue is resolved.  Many thanks Dave.  I have to own up to train spotting these beasts in the Durham coal field at the end of steam in the 60s.  Such an evocative loco for me.  Can't wait, count me in.

Regards,

Following DJM's fantastic announcement, does anyone know of any rumours or plans to get a RTR J27 off the ground?

I'm thinking of looking for a kit of one in the near future but would prefer just buying one to run out of the box and would happily pay similar money to the Q6 RRP estimate.

Perhaps one of the 'big' companies have seen the appreciation here for the Q6 and might have a re-think about NER freighters?

I hope I'm not sounding like someone wanting cake and eating it but, well I suppose I am really  :)  ha ha.

But...

With mentions on this thread of Kickstarter schemes (of which hand on heart I don't know any details about as I write this so might be talking out of my, er, hat) and in the spirit of expressions of interest gauging potential demand I just wondered if anyone with appropriate experience had given serious thought to trying to realise a black 0-6-0 to go with the mighty black 0-8-0 DJM is going to produce. Perhaps someone already has and it's a no-hoper? It'd be interesting (to me anyway) to find out.

If it came to it how many people contributing to this thread would also be interested in a companion workhorse engine for the Q6?

Why don't you buy loads of the Q6 and then maybe Dave will do the J27 to follow it up?  Seems to me the best way to encourage the manufacturers to produce goods engines is to buy the ones they've already committed to.

I bought a Bachmann 3F in the hope they'd then do another LNER 0-6-0 and we got the J11.   Buy plenty of the Q6 and maybe there'll be a J27.  Or a Q7. 

I know plenty of people who've said they'll buy one - if it runs as well as the Sentinel and Well Tank then I might well be in for one myself.  Let the man get this one finished and to market first, though.

Archived