Marty's O Scale stuff

hartleymartin

• 6 months later...

Not much movement on my modelling bench for a while. I did pick up a Bachmann On30 coach at the recent Epping Model Railway Club show at Rose Hill Gardens. I pulled off the bogies and sat the body on top of some NSWGR 2AA bogies (5'9" wheelbase). The coach body in 7mm scale is 31'6" long over headstocks and the coach body section is 29'0" long, and the main body itself is 7'0" wide - a bit on the narrow side for standard gauge. I could widen the body by cutting out the end doors and putting wider ones in place, and splicing some extra material into the centre of the roof section. The bogies have 3'0" wheels but I think I might try for some smaller 2'8" wheels.

20190612_123402.jpg.306abc2257b44a8fa00766700c60ffae.jpg

I then attached the bogies with some small brass screws, using washers to pack up the height so the wheels clear the floor casting. Here it is, again with 1021, sitting on a Peco O gauge point. I will have to engineer some proper bolsters/bogie attachment. Of course, some buffer-beams and couplings will be needed. I think I'll get another set of these bogies and put the smaller 2'8" wheels into it. the carriage body is the same width as the cab of the locomotive.

20190613_145915.jpg.6d8113b9079b472810c4dfde2fd17a23.jpg

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Like 4

It is my understanding that Bachmann On30 models aren't to 7mm scale (1:43.5) but to 1/4" (or 1:48) which is the U.S standard '0' scale.  This might explain the undersized appearance. FWIW the Bachmann stuff is rather undersized even at 1:48 compared with other 0n3/0n30 manufacturers.  A San Juan Car Co passenger car might give you a better base for a s.g. carriage.

Ray.

• Agree 2

I had some San Juan Car Co. coach body parts somewhere (not sure where they got to) with a view of doing something like this. I just picked up the Bachmann RTR model at a 2nd-hand stall for very cheap.

I also had another look at the narrow-gauge bogies. The wheelbase is about 28mm and the wheels appear to be 14mm in diameter. I might be able to widen these and fit standard-gauge wheels - the afore-mentioned 2'8" wheel sets. The Bachmann bogies consist of a centre plastic section to which the metal bogie side-frames are screwed down. They are a lot thinner than the metal castings used for the 2AA bogies, so I might be able to re-use them and the original mounting points.

• Like 1

This is one the prototypes I am using for inspiration. It may also give a few hints at some ideas I am having about increasing the coach body's height. I may even change it to the simpler arc roof if the mood takes me in that direction!

1162525138_CarriageNSWGRKACropped.png.5e6a420681c6b76d76936ddc8a7d0a6b.png

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Like 2

I noted that the bogies on the KA Tramcar (pictured above) were not too dissimilar to the On30 bogies from Bachmann. So a bit of work to convert the On30 bogie to 32mm gauge with some wheels borrowed from an Athearn Arch-bar Truck (bogie) and I think the coach sits more comfortably on its wheels, even if a little low-slung.20190614_150658_small.jpg.2c5298dbce448671774b6cc9bf88ebe7.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 13/06/2019 at 19:18, Marshall5 said:

It is my understanding that Bachmann On30 models aren't to 7mm scale (1:43.5) but to 1/4" (or 1:48) which is the U.S standard '0' scale.  This might explain the undersized appearance. FWIW the Bachmann stuff is rather undersized even at 1:48 compared with other 0n3/0n30 manufacturers.  A San Juan Car Co passenger car might give you a better base for a s.g. carriage.

Ray.

Guess what turned up after a rummage in my garage? About 7 scale feet longer too.

20190616_185351.jpg.ef16e00d9ef4d1df53dce383fb8fb647.jpg

Measuring and checking things continues. Mocking up the parts this way shows how I'll increase the height of the body with styrene. The width will be resolved by cutting out the end doors and fitting wider ones. A couple of skirting planks under the end-windows will make up the height there. Increasing the height of the side from 43mm to 46mm will make it a scale 6'6" high on the side. A flat arc roof will give a bit of extra height in the centre - I plan to ditch the clerestory roof, although I think I may make use of it on some other project.

20190616_175125_copy.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, boxerbayrailway said:

Interesting project Martin,  I'll be following along to see the result.

I'm now thinking about doing a similar coach for the BBR,  probably using the San Juan sides as a starting point.

Using the San Juan sides is a good way to avoid cutting out lots of windows! You have to decide how wide to make the coach body. I decided to aim for 8'3". The sides are a little short, but you can add a few scale inches by designating the bottom of the car side as floor level and adding a few scale inches with some styrene strip glued at the bottom. I'll be showing that in a few days when I've finished the work with the razor saw!

If I were starting over, I would go for the side panels with the 13 arch-windows. I think this would make a far better coach. I got sides with the double-windows and the last window panel is blanked off for a heating stove. If you wanted to be really clever, you could get two sets of different coach sides and build yourself a pair of coaches, each with a different window style on each side. You can turn them around and now you can represent them as being earlier/later (post-rebuild) or you've got another set of coaches for the railway!

Edited by hartleymartin

Whilst searching for something else, I stumbled on this photograph of the 1926 Hudswell Clarke that worked in Australia. It is indeed a 13" Contractor's type Hudswell Clarke, the type sold RTR by Ixion.

The notes provided by a comment also proved useful:

This is Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST, B/No.1530/1926. Originally built for the Sydney Municipal Council, Electrical Lighting Committee, for use at Bunnerong Power Station, Given No.1. Sold to J.Kennaway, machinery merchants, NSW. In 1947 to Wallarah Coal Co. Ltd. Catherine Hill Bay, NSW. Given No.4. Scrapped 1956. Ref: Australian Loco Builders Lists - 1.H.C. LRRSA, Bob McKillop,1987

Now, judging by the background, and the fact that this photo is listed in the Newcastle collections, I am going to make the educated guess that this photo is from its later life working for Wallarah Coal Co. at Catherine Hill Bay, an isolated Coal railway.

Come to think of it, I have 1021, and an unfinished 18 class kit (1801 and 1806 finished their days at Catherine Hill Bay), so I have three locomotives for an isolated coal railway.

CRHSN0560_Box 17 Saddle tank steam locomotive [n.d.]

• Like 5

Amazing what you find when you're looking for something else:

https://www.imgrum.pw/media/1536091605924453189

In 1912 Hudswell Clarke built this engine No 1006, built for the Port Kembla Harbour Authority and it was named Bingera with the running number 29.

19050238_162892330917677_7222986951408746496_n.jpg.3ddbf8daea348270339552f58852491b.jpg

This picture seems to be a builder's or a delivery photo. I have three photos from RT Clarke which show them in later life, clearly with new R-class (Z18) boilers. A similar rebuild occurred with most of the old F class 2-4-0 tank engines. It seems that the NSWGR settled on that boiler design as the best for the small tank engines, when the six members of the old (1884 era) R class got new domed boilers in 1907. The last of those old R class were not withdrawn until 1972!

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Like 1

On 19/06/2019 at 16:20, hartleymartin said:

Whilst searching for something else, I stumbled on this photograph of the 1926 Hudswell Clarke that worked in Australia. It is indeed a 13" Contractor's type Hudswell Clarke, the type sold RTR by Ixion.

The notes provided by a comment also proved useful:

This is Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST, B/No.1530/1926. Originally built for the Sydney Municipal Council, Electrical Lighting Committee, for use at Bunnerong Power Station, Given No.1. Sold to J.Kennaway, machinery merchants, NSW. In 1947 to Wallarah Coal Co. Ltd. Catherine Hill Bay, NSW. Given No.4. Scrapped 1956. Ref: Australian Loco Builders Lists - 1.H.C. LRRSA, Bob McKillop,1987

Now, judging by the background, and the fact that this photo is listed in the Newcastle collections, I am going to make the educated guess that this photo is from its later life working for Wallarah Coal Co. at Catherine Hill Bay, an isolated Coal railway.

Come to think of it, I have 1021, and an unfinished 18 class kit (1801 and 1806 finished their days at Catherine Hill Bay), so I have three locomotives for an isolated coal railway.

CRHSN0560_Box 17 Saddle tank steam locomotive [n.d.]

Once visited Catherine Hill Bay and came to an immediate conclusion that this was a perfect place to end one's days.

• Like 1

Discovered some old Atlas Code 148 points with 24" radius. So I laid them out and wondered if I could get a 5-3-3 inglenook. I did some running tests and found that only two of my locos will run around the tight radius - my Manning Wardle H class and the "Planot" Which was made by a fellow RM web member. It is an Atlas 0-6-0 Plymouth Switcher cut down to an 0-4-0 and made to resemble a Planet Diesel. My O gauge wagons will actually run through the points without buffer locking too, but the couplings do need to be quite slack for it to work properly. Tiles are 30cm square.

Mini_Inglebook_O_Gauge.jpg.4bf7c68fc49d266ab27850918cc855ff.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Pleased that 'Planot' has a use.....looks like the points are limited to 0-4-0s or presumably the original Atlas 0-6-0 and SWB Bo-Bos.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Dava said:

Pleased that 'Planot' has a use.....looks like the points are limited to 0-4-0s or presumably the original Atlas 0-6-0 and SWB Bo-Bos.

It hasn't featured in any photos, but the old "Planot" loco has had quite a bit of use shuffling wagons about on temporary layouts laid with Peco points on temporary boards when I've had a bit of spare time and everyone else is out of the house. One does have to keep a gentle touch on the throttle though. It will demolish buffer-stops! I've had to have some serious thoughts about building strong buffer-stops for it. Well, the other one will be the Tower Models Barclay when I've rebuilt the chassis. It was originally wired in reverse to all my other locos for some reason, so I used to be able to put it in a rugby scrum against other locos. Before it was pulled apart for a rebuild (which has taken about 5 years so far) I could line up all my other locos and it would push the whole fleet away.

• Like 1

Another post I made some years ago makes reference to my having 2x left and 2x right points. I have 3x right and 1x left point there. So, what happened to the other LH point? (Probably buried in my garage) I know that I have another because I cut the LH point down to make a cross-over with closer track centres, originally with a tramway layout in mind, but the flange ways are too big for it to work in that application.

• 2 weeks later...

My own Atlas Plymouth 0-4-0 Diesel shunter is gaining traction after I found most of the parts and put them into one project box.

The footplate is now 105mm long, a scale 15ft and the wheelbase is near enough to 35mm scale 5ft that it doesn't matter. The hood is about 42mm long and the cab will have to be about 50mm long and 42mm wide to fit over the rear chassis block section which houses the motor.

My hack-saw job to shorten the chassis block was a bit of a hack job and I'll have to probably add some lead weight at the hood end to stop ot from doing wheelies.

If I had access to a vertical milling machine i would reduce the size of the chassis block in the cab section but I'll just paint it black and jam some crew figures in there.

20190707_154924.jpg.14c75456e132d472942f797763254c56.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Dava said:

Well done, I know what that hack-job is like! Look forward to seeing the resulting loco.

I was originally thinking I might be able to put the motor section under the hood, but it would be too tall. If I could have done that I might have modelled an open cab, but that idea got nixed once I did all the measurements. It would probably work for a larger scale something like 1:35, 1:32, 1:24 or 1:19, but I don't want to go that way.

My thoughts are to make it look like a baby brother version of the "Planot" I acquired from you a few years back. The only parts missing from this project are the chassis keeper plate and screws to hold it on. I've got all the other odds and ends for it: Buffers, styrene for cab and buffer plates, tubes and pipes to make the exhaust, a horn casting... I think the only thing I don't have in stock is the paint.

Model railway projects have had a severe blow to the budget since my car battery finally expired, so I'll be focusing on projects that will use my stockpile of materials and parts.

I've also done a little more work on the Bachmann On30 coach. to break it down to components for the rebuild into a standard gauge coach. The Selsey Tramway Falcon coaches were 37ft over buffers, so this won't be too much smaller. I might even have some similar white metal bogies somewhere:

SELSEY TRAMWAY - No.4 - Bogie Saloon Coach built in 1897 by Falcon Engineering for the opening of the line - broken up when the line closed in 1935. There is also a picture of No.4 with a brake compartment at one end, built onto the veranda - perhaps this was a later addition.

• Like 3