Marty's O Scale stuff

hartleymartin

Latest work on the Atlas Diesel conversion. Narrowed the footplate from 63mm down to 56mm (now  scale 8ft wide).

Also built up the side frames to length. Near enough to the same profile. These will largely be hidden either by reinforcing plats for the buffer plates and/or steps for the shunter.

Just new cab, buffing plates, refit mechanism and paint to go.

20190713_231606.jpg.5e2986f4c1e08b6bf3379dfd03b46bf5.jpg

• Like 1

20190714_222800.jpg.44081e6bd1d53fc1574c5b8ea9da1156.jpg

Found the old cab, somewhat damaged, in the parts bin. Cut out the sides and I'm thinking of reusing them. Before I get too clever, I did think of making two separate cabs so to masquerade as two locomotives, but I might decide on one as the keeper.

Not sure if I can use these cab sides since the doors are 35mm tall and 11mm wide. A bit of a tight squeeze even if the are 1:48 scale.

• RMweb Premium

It's a critter....an overlay of 10thou plasticard on the buffer beams, embossed with rivet detail from the back, would look good....

• Thanks 1

More styrene strips and angle section from the local hobby shop today. Cab is making swift progress.

Still pondering wibdows in the cab doors, but now all the detail sections are on I think it would be too much. I'll make a decision once I hit it with a coat of grey primer tomorrow.

20190718_231327.jpg.2ef839a429cb6211f30dab48d3461cca.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Critter had a little disaster. I primed it in Tamiya light grey and tried a Humbrol spray can. It needs to go into a bath of plastic-safe paint-remover before anything else can happen.

In other news, I bought an Atlas O Gauge "Bobber" Caboose for $5 the other day. Starting to consider what I might do with it. At the moment my thoughts are to do away with the cupola, put some slaters wheels into the underframe, add buffers, couplers and possibly replace the end-platform details. Perhaps something based on one of the Brill Tramway's former horse-drawn carriages:

Huddersfield_at_Quainton_Road.jpg

20191027_230234.jpg.15e941d588ca3875a0c332dcbd9a767d.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

HI, this is just a message to Martin Hartley and all our other friends and RMWebbers in Australia, ans Tasmania,  esp NSW and areas affected by the wildfires. 

We hope you and your dear ones are safe and remain unaffected by the fires at this very worrying time. Also your models and livelihoods are safe too. And that your Govt gets a grip.

Any past crimes or misdeeds committed against 7mm scale Atlas, Dapol, Ixion & Minerva models in the cause of Antipodeanising them are forgotten.

All the best, guys.

Dava 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Thanks Dava,

I am fortunate that my own home is quite safely far from the fires, but several places that I visited in the past few months have been hit hard by this year's bushfire season. The little village of Balmoral in the Southern Highlands was completely destroyed, and I had driven through there not 2 weeks before.

The Railway Museum at Thirlmere deployed three bogie water tankers with over 100,000 Litres of water near Buxton, just up the road from Balmoral, for the local Rural Fire Service to use as an emergency supply. A great local initiative, and I had been hoping and praying that they would have no need of it.

Sydney has been suffering on and off with some severe smoke hazes which were almost as bad as London Smog just after WW2. Two men from the Horsley Park Rural Fire Service unit (not more than 15 minutes drive from my house) lost two members just before Christmas when a burning tree fell on their Firetruck.

Bushfires are a fact of life here in Australia, but these have been the worst since the 2009 Victorian Bushfires - a year when large swathes of the country were either burning or by cruel irony, washed away by floods.

• Friendly/supportive 1

For those who may be interested, some weeks ago I began work on the KA "Tramcar" Carriage and today the first set of laser-cut parts arrived. A few blunders in the design to fix up, but I could cobble this into a model. There has been sufficient local interest to do a run of these as kits, so I need to improve things before I can sell it as a kit rather than a "kit of parts"

Follow the thread on this development here: 

KA_Test01_01_Ends.jpg.8ce8fa2fb803ed56c4069685eb9d2221.jpgKA_Test01_02_Sides.jpg.66f57f85c72f5898c56d81224f012fb8.jpgKA_Test01_03_Chassis.jpg.66402e0805d1c962c8e1757181a5acf7.jpgKA_Test01_04_Roof.jpg.3643823fc3b8a8514a46bc375b70ef15.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 26/12/2019 at 21:23, Dava said:

Hi Martin,

Good to hear from you  and that the only charred wood is on the lasercut coach parts!

Happy modelling,

Dava

Fire seems to be a bit of theme with this model project. There were four prototype KA tramcars. One was sold off to a private railway and lost in a fire in the 1950s. The sole survivor of this class was restored in the 1980s, but lost in the 1993 Parramatta Park arson attack.

664010655_KATestBuild01.jpg.e63b3d0ccb0fd83f40aedab2f362285c.jpg

31906124_KATestBuild02.jpg.59f8df1b5e1aeca08f90f2a4438a218c.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

So what are my plans moving forward with O gauge? Well, I want to purchase a couple of the Manning Wardle K Class and modify them to represent Australian versions, and possibly do an 1860s-1870s era layout based on the Blacktown-Richmond Railway line (near Sydney, Australia). I may also purchase a Slaters GWR Brake 3rd to do a representation of the Easingwold Railway. I am moving more towards just freelancing in 7mm scale. Vaguely Australian-British. It depends largely on what I can obtain easily and what my budget allows.

• Like 3