Bachmann NRM/Locomotionmodels.com - GNR Ivatt C1

I think we've been here before. Advertisers place their ad in good faith that it will appear after the due date. Printers and distributors - no doubt thinking they will please everybody - get the mag out and about slightly early, and this situation arises. "Big Bang" announcements with fanfare of trumpets are what is usual these days in many walks of life, and Locomotion are entitled to their buck for their bang, not a damp squib. And, finally, this is Andy Y's place and his rules prevail. Anything else is called anarchy - vide much of the Internet.

I've kept scthum as requested (having rung the shop earlier this week, wanting to pre-order and in a brainless moment getting the announcement dates mixed up accordingly) and intend to keep scthum for the enjoyment of others - but can someone explain to me how it is "leaked material" if it is in printed magazine, in a paid for advertisement, the publishing dates and delivery of which is known?

I think for anyone to intimate that Model Rail have somehow leaked the news due to their publication is a bit off to be honest.

Last time I checked, RMweb was now owned by Warners and Andy York was an employee of Warners? So no, strictly speaking that's not true.

I don't really think anyone has suggested that Model Rail leaked the news. In truth, the only people in the office who would recognise the significance of that advertisement are Richard Foster and me, and neither of us sees advertisements until after the magazine is printed. Nor were we in possession of the information under an embargo (as we were with the APT-E). We were guessing - like everyone else - until we were notified by a retailer who had received his subscription copy. Unfortunately, with an extended lead time between the magazine going to press and the publication date, it is not possible to control exactly when copies start to get into the hands of readers. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Or you can just read the NRM advert in Model Rail and see the answer right now!

Well said. Why spoil Locomotion's big moment?

MR 'broke' Hornby's Christmas embargo a few years back which did spoil the (then) Christmas fun although it could have been due to the chaotic Christmas post, think the mags were sent out earlier than usual to subscribers. Don't know if this happened with other mags as I only subscribed to the one mag at the time.

Was thinking of giving a clue that it may come in a box but you didn't hear that from me.

although it could have been due to the chaotic Christmas post, 

It wasn't the fault of the publishing team, the printers and distributors took it upon themselves to rush it through before a holiday period.

I hope it doesn't accidentally get broken via RMweb's ads from Locomotion either.

It shouldn't do as date parameters are more easily managed electronically than a print process although human error could cause an embarrassment (but won't as I've just checked how it's been set up. :))

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Last time I checked, RMweb was now owned by Warners and Andy York was an employee of Warners? So no, strictly speaking that's not true.

What is not true? I didn't mention ownership, merely the unchanged fact that this was and is Andy Y's place. The fact that he now receives a stipend for looking after us idiots doesn't change his status as top banana, then and now.

• RMweb Premium

In this day and age, if any announcement is going to be made on a given day and the announcer wants to be sure of keeping it that way, then no other potential source of the announcement should be brooked, including putting adverts into magazines that are due on the same day or very shortly afterwards. It's clear that print runs have to be done well before the announcement date and are a source for a leak, whether intentional or otherwise.

• Like 1

What is not true? I didn't mention ownership, merely the unchanged fact that this was and is Andy Y's place. The fact that he now receives a stipend for looking after us idiots doesn't change his status as top banana, then and now.

Splitting hairs to some extent I know Ian, but it's not Andy's place (anymore - apologies Andy) - he's employed to run RMweb as a Warners employee. The "top banana" is I suspect the editor of BRM, who is Ben Jones.

If not, then it's the owners of BRM who ultimately run the place. I am sure Andy has some room to manuever in terms of how he runs RMweb (and I think if I may Andy, that's what you are saying - my apologies if I misread that) but ultimately the ownership and editor of the owning magazine have the overall final say.

And again, I'm not saying this with an axe to grind but we should keep things factual.

And that is surely enough for now SAC..you have made a point....before it descends into further realms of pedantry..Let the matter drop.

Bit harsh Ian? Can't I respond to something posted specifically about me?

Happy to let the other matter drop - I've said my bit, Andy understood where I was coming from. No worries my end.

• RMweb Gold

Bit harsh Ian? Can't I respond to something posted specifically about me?

Happy to let the other matter drop - I've said my bit, Andy understood where I was coming from. No worries my end.

No not harsh.A tendancy to want to have the last word can be interpreted as tactless.You did say your "bit" twice.Brevity is the soul of wit.There is a fine line between the truth as we see it and diplomacy.

Least said...soonest mended.

Or just unnecessarily pedantic perhaps......

No not harsh.A tendancy to want to have the last word can be interpreted as tactless.You did say your "bit" twice.Brevity is the soul of wit.There is a fine line between the truth as we see it and diplomacy.

On that note I'll call it a day.

I look forward to the announcement and spending some of my hard earned cash on yet another excellent NRM/Bachmann limited edition.

and dare i say it goes some way to explaing why some prefer to hit the disagree button and opt for leaving it at that.....

• RMweb Premium

There is something a bit surreal about a thread speculating on a new release when a good number of folk know what it is but won't (for decent enough reasons) say.

It is like having a conversation with a huge grey creature with big ears and a trunk for a nose in the room.

Is it only me that is strangely drawn to watching folk skirt all the way round it?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid of making any guesses at what the release might be, just in case I guess right and am accused of breaking the self-imposed 'embargo' here. I don't have any subscriptions to any magazines (can't afford them) so have no knowledge of the release.