Bachmann NRM/Locomotionmodels.com - GNR Ivatt C1

My family and I are planning to visit the NRM at York on or around Aug. 20. We're coming from Canada and visiting family in the UK. Not sure yet if we're coming by train or car. How easy is it to get from the York musuem to Shildon? Thanks.

Rob

My family and I are planning to visit the NRM at York on or around Aug. 20. We're coming from Canada and visiting family in the UK. Not sure yet if we're coming by train or car. How easy is it to get from the York musuem to Shildon? Thanks.

Rob

Pretty easy, see www.transportdirect.info Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Gold

Rob

Hi,Rob....very easy. NRM adjacent to York station.Very frequent fast train service on ECML North to Darlington where you Change trains for Shildon.

If you are staying in York....and who wouldn't....fabulous city,then the option by car is up the A59 onto the A1 and then branch off North of Darlington...boringly interminable and some roadworks.Please be warned that parking in York is very expensive and will add considerably to the cost of your stay,unless your hotel/accomodation has cut price parking deals...enquire before you book .

The train takes the strain.Check for fare deals...perhaps a railcard.Look on Northern Rail,East Coast,Trans Pennine ,Cross Country websites.When using our rail network...plan ahead.Above all,welcome and enjoy.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Rob

The only thing you need to watch with the train is that the service over the branch from Darlington to Shildon only runs at 2 hourly intervals so it's best to check connecting services from York which won't dump you on the station at Darlo for an extended stay.  York is far better hotel wise than central Darlington appears to be with some excellent places to eat and lots to see and do (hence I shall be staying there, instead of in Darlington, on Monday night enroute to Shildon).

But if you are hiring a car you need to check out very carefully the car parking situation at hotels in York as many have limited, or no, parking on site - you also need to book well in advance.

• Like 1

Harking back to when I used to ask my ol' Pappy,   "What would you like for your Birthday. Pa ?."

His reply, 9 times out of 10, would be...."Next week's 'Football Echo' / 'Sporting Life' / 'Racing Post'....

I have no doubt, whatsoever, that there is no big money riding on whichever model railway products are due from wherever, but,..

.....I have this uneasy feeling that this, sometime, bookie's shop style guessing / wish listing (Don't mention betting), coupled with 'someone, knowing in advance' approach is, somewhat, detrimental to the whole'....

Regards,...

I have buried my head in the sand for the best part of today but decided I must read everyone's comments.

To the ones that do know - thanks for skirting around it, To the ones that don't know yet - I hope you like the model when you hear about it on Tuesday.

It will be available to prebuy on the website and in the gift shop from Tuesday .

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It will be a model of NBR Glen Douglas. I know this because I have just bought a kit. Oh wait its when you finish building it that happens.

You've got 5 days to build it then...........

Cheers,

Mick

How's it coming along?

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. sincerely hoping that the new model actually isn't Glen Douglas or I'm going to look like a right party-pooper. And I don't get MR subs copy or haven't been near a W H Smith's for a browse......... :O

Edited by newbryford

Hi,Rob....very easy. NRM adjacent to York station.Very frequent fast train service on ECML North to Darlington where you Change trains for Shildon.

If you are staying in York....and who wouldn't....fabulous city,then the option by car is up the A59 onto the A1 and then branch off North of Darlington...boringly interminable and some roadworks.Please be warned that parking in York is very expensive and will add considerably to the cost of your stay,unless your hotel/accomodation has cut price parking deals...enquire before you book .

The train takes the strain.Check for fare deals...perhaps a railcard.Look on Northern Rail,East Coast,Trans Pennine ,Cross Country websites.When using our rail network...plan ahead.Above all,welcome and enjoy.

Thanks! This is helpful. Rob

• RMweb Gold

I have buried my head in the sand for the best part of today but decided I must read everyone's comments.

To the ones that do know - thanks for skirting around it, To the ones that don't know yet - I hope you like the model when you hear about it on Tuesday.

It will be available to prebuy on the website and in the gift shop from Tuesday .

Cheers

Cheers

The desert is a boring place and the ostrich seems an uncomfortable creature.So give yourself a break.
  • Like 1

Just as long as the next Model Rail doesn't suddenly gain a new tag line .......

MODEL RAIL

Spilling the beans before everyone else*!

*subscription applies

I guess we can let them off.

:mosking:

• RMweb Gold

Let's not rub salt in the wound,please...it's just an unfortunate accident.We'll move on and enjoy.

Remember that Model Rail are giving us something special too....arguably the most attractive D11.(Sorry NRM).An appropriate commemorative WW1 model which will look totally fabulous at the head of a rake of Gresley teaks (Oops ,they're Hornby)

• RMweb Gold

Take care with the connections at Darlington. Trains to Shildon only run every two hours.

We found out the hard way last September and missed one by 20 minutes. Taxi!

John

Edit: Just spotted Stationmaster's post covering this pitfall. :jester:

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

...Please be warned that parking in York is very expensive and will add considerably to the cost of your stay,unless your hotel/accomodation has cut price parking deals...

We use the Best Western 'Kilima Hotel' which is near ideal for the railway interest. It's just South of the city walls convenient for the A59, near the Holgate Bridge and the old York Racecourse station, now closed. It has an adequate size free car park for residents.

Killer advantage. Across the road from the hotel is a street of terraced housing which ends at the footbridge access to York Shed, now the NRM. You can rise from your full English breakfast and be through the museum doors in seven minutes, if that last soss and fried slice doesn't slow you down too much.

• Like 2

My thoughts on this new NRM special centre around the simple observation that as it has been a couple of days since people started to receive their subscription copies of Model Rail, and the fact that there hasn't been a thread about it on the LNER Encyclopedia forum, I need not get too excited about it. 

Edited by Dick Turpin

Just as long as the next Model Rail doesn't suddenly gain a new tag line .......

MODEL RAIL

Spilling the beans before everyone else*!

*subscription applies

I guess we can let them off.

:mosking:

To be fair to MR it is in the form of an advert and there's a good chance the editorial team don't review all the ads, possibly even handled by a different department who may know little amount model railways. It's also not that prominent - passed me by until I read on here and went looking for.

Off topic I know (sorry) but can I say some of the earlier posts in this thread literally made me laugh out loud, thank you RMweb, railway modellers have a great sense of humor :)

Btw looking forward to the announcement, have no idea what it is, but can't wait.

• Like 2

Cheers

My farther, who don't do RMweb got his copy today, and phoned up asking about it. As he put it there was a person on the other end who seemed a bit harassed having been fielding call about it all day and having to explain that no, you can't order until next week. Those that field the calls at shildon deserve a medal for their patience.

Ps- I guessed right as to what it is. Does this mean I can complain it don't fit in with the era/location/company etc etc that I model? Or do I just take the froth as the fun it's supposed to be?

• Like 3