Bachmann NRM/Locomotionmodels.com - GNR Ivatt C1

The C2 size of boiler won't quite fit low enough over the motor in its position in the Bachmann / NRM C1 chassis, although I have no doubt that the chassis could have been arranged to allow it to fit correctly. Quite typical of recent "no allowance for possible alternative applications" designs.

Unless you made a tender-drive version of the model and built the loco from a kit of parts much like Hornby's Railroad models?

Unless you made a tender-drive version of the model and built the loco from a kit of parts much like Hornby's Railroad models?

Tender drive? Satanic idea! A small-boilered Atlantic would be grand and would fill the gap between the single and the large-boilered job. I’ll wait for Bachy and if Bachy doesn’t do it, I’ll do without.

Tender drive? Satanic idea! A small-boilered Atlantic would be grand and would fill the gap between the single and the large-boilered job. I’ll wait for Bachy and if Bachy doesn’t do it, I’ll do without.

Well, making a kit-built tender-drive locomotive would be a challenge.

• 1 month later...
On 20/12/2018 at 16:14, Steamport Southport said:

I think it's time for some of the other railways to get something.

Bit greedy asking for more GNR locomotives when they haven't released anything from the LNWR, GER, LBSC, SECR, LSWR, NER, etc.  :mail:

Jason

Hm

Maybe not by Locomotion but in particular the Bachmann range includes various LNWR, SECR, LSWR and LBSCR (H2, E4) prototypes. GER locos (D16, J15) have been in the Hornby range. And Heljan (Tango) and Oxford Rail (N 7) are also available. Notwithstanding various commission models of Southern prototypes (Adams O2, Beattie well tank).

Regards

Mark

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 15:14, Steamport Southport said:

Bit greedy asking for more GNR locomotives when they haven't released anything from the LNWR, GER, LBSC, SECR, LSWR, NER, etc. 

To review how we got here, the NRM started out on their series of commissioned exclusive models on the basis of what was most requested by visitors, from among the national collection. There's no arguing with what the customers ask for! Results so far in pre-group steam are GNR 2, GWR 1, MR 1.

I remain surprised that there wasn't an early call for the SECR D class 4-4-0 on the basis of its looks and performance reputation, and would hope that the GER E4, J17 and J69, GNR C2, LNWR Jumbo, LT&SR 4-4-2T, NER D17, E5 and J21 (no proposed order just alphabetical by company) also figure strongly.

Of course other national collection items already had  models in production before the NRM got started, and coverage of pre-group classes has never been stronger in RTR OO as the manufacturers cast about for viable subjects.  Significantly missing in my opinion is any coverage of:

the  two 'London' railways, the LT&SR and NLR;

any Welsh Railway;

the smaller Northwestern English companies

most of the Scottish Railways.

The LNWR and NER are under-represented considering their importance, but these two and the Scottish companies appear to at last be getting some (very welcome) attention.

In view of the delays in update of the Bachmann model, maybe the NRM could commission a more modern prototype from their collection - "Green Arrow".

But not to the exclusion of coaches to go with the Stirling single and C1.

Edited by 2750Papyrus
spelling error
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/12/2018 at 16:14, Steamport Southport said:

Bit greedy asking for more GNR locomotives when they haven't released anything from the LNWR, GER, LBSC, SECR, LSWR, NER, etc.  :mail:

Jason

LNWR -coal tank / super D

GER - J15/n7

lbsc - Terrier / h1/h2

secr - h class

LSWR - the rtr list is way too big

NER - Q6

The LNWR is under represented, but much of its fleet was gone before 1948.

however the LYR was a substantial entity which much of its locos around in BR days, even if its glamourous locos only just edged over, but in rtr is only represented by a 40 year old pug, and a 2-4-2T.

Whilst its 0-6-0s are the obvious ones, class 23,25, 27, share a wheel base and are preserved the Dreadnought is a forgotten monster, that out played GWRs Castle class, but being “up north” was largely played into history but didnt stop the LMS taking them away from the LYR to run up Shap on express services ! and survived beyond the war and into BR being painted lined black and sent to York in 1951 on Railtour C820, only for it to be sent back as it wasnt NER either.

a rtr Dreadnought would be nice in Black, Lined Black, Express LMS maroon, LMS black, LYR black and lined... alas for a new build of the real thing... they even made a tank version of it (just like the GWR planned withits Castle class), though it was too powerful for what it was needed for.

SLS/MLS: York Excursion 1/7/51 Lancashire & Yorkshire 4-6-0 50455 was a Hughes design with origins as far back as 1908 and known as Dreadnoughts. However, this loco was the last to be built in 1924 just after the grouping and she was the only example of the class to receive a BR number. Here she's depicted in BR lined black livery at York. 50455 was withdrawn from 28A (Blackpool North) in October of that year but found a new lease of life as a Horwich works shunter for a further 11 months.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

All very well quoting all those locomotives that Bachmann and Hornby have made. But most of them aren't even in the NRM(RM) so are irrelevant to my post.

I was specifically talking about Locomotion Models making commissions of locomotives in the collection. I also don't mean re-liveries of existing models.

So it is a bit greedy to ask for Henry Oakley when other railways haven't had anything at all.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
On 20/12/2018 at 15:14, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

From the NRM collection you can buy rtr ...

GNR no1, 1247, 251

Lbsc Boxhill

Lyr 1008

lswr 245, 120, 30587

GWR (pre 1923)  2516 (exNRM 2818), 4003, 3440

MR 1000

GCR 63601, 506

LNWR 49395

Thats on top of Big 4/BR... which all but 2 of the NRMs collection have been done...

GWR 4073,6000 (x3), 9400 (100% of post 1923 GWR locos)..

SR 777,850,925 (x3), 33001, 34051(x2), 35029 (100% of the NRMs collection of SR)

LMS 13000 (and as 42700), 5000 (and as 45000), only ones missing is 44027 & 42500

LNER 4771 (x2) and 60800 (x2), 60103 & 4468 (countless variants), 6229 (at least 5 variants)... 100% coverage of LNER locos

BR 92220 (countless examples), 70013 (at least 4 times).

as for diesels / electrics the only ones not modelled are: D2860, 13079, D2090, 08911, 41001, 84001 all the rest have been done by someone at some point.

Indeed its easier to list what primary pre 1923 lines the NRM has not modelled locos from..

North Staffs,  Furness Railway, GER, NER and Taff Vale, SECR and LTSR plus industrials and really old timers

what i’m saying is... we are realiy spoilt for choice in the NRM fleet.. you can have 34 steam locos and 13 diesels, plus APT-E, GWR railcar, 2Bil...

Note the absence of NER in that list, but viable examples are diminishing rapidly... whats left that could sell thousands..?

673, Cornwall, Henry Oakley, Aerolite but more likely BR savvy ones like 42500 and 41966 (Thundersley).

Rather than replicating everything, they might do better to focus on popular classes that got away.. I mentioned the Dreadnought, but a Claughton is an equally enticing story if we are in the c£250 premium bracket... and probably better than a really long forgotten 2-4-0 or 2-2-2 just because..

Edited by adb968008

Guest Locomotion No. 3

Thank you for your suggestions which have been noted.

We have two new locomotives scheduled for release this year in the form of the Terrier 0-6-0T 'Boxhill' and Class 55 Deltic 'Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry'. These are being produced in partnership with Rail of Sheffield and in the case of the Terrier with Dapol whilst the Deltic is being produced by Accurascale.

Other models will be added to the National Collection in Miniature series over the next two to three years.

Dennis Lovett

Exclusive Models Marketing Executive

Locomotionmodels.com