Bachmann NRM/Locomotionmodels.com - GNR Ivatt C1

Wombatofludham mentioned Hardwicke a few posts back - That's one which has crossed my mind a few times now as having good potential as an NRM release. It makes a nice pairing with the Midland Compound- IIRC the pair did some main-line tours together in the mid-70's, so it could even have an attraction for the BR Blue era market

As suggested, there's potential for the main Bachmann range as well. The last of the class survived to the early 1930's, so there's scope for LMS-liveried versions, and in more than just the '50 shades of black' wombat mentioned- I think a few did get crimson lake, and Bachmann do seem quite partial to that early Midland-style version of LMS crimson lake, with the numbers on the tender/tank side; they did the Crab in it a couple of years back, and there's a red L&Y 2-4-2T in the recent announcements.

Edited by Invicta

• RMweb Premium

That would be a real challenge to the RTR folk. Having kit built a "Hardwicke" I can vouch for how difficult it is to fit a motor and enough weight for it to pull a decent train into this delightful but tiny loco.

It would be a winner for me and if we had Hardwicke, the LNWR 0-8-0 and perhaps a "Coal Tank" then I can see the LNWR getting the same sort of followers in RTR that it got with London Road models for kit builders.

But I think that may have to be another time as all the clues point to something green and from the eastern side of the land.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

But I think that may have to be another time as all the clues point to something green and from the eastern side of the land.

SECR H class 0-4-4T - lovely! Oh, Eastern, not South-Eastern. And it's not in the NRM. Shame.

(Would go well with the C 0-6-0, wouldn't it?)

SECR H class 0-4-4T - lovely! Oh, Eastern, not South-Eastern. And it's not in the NRM. Shame.

(Would go well with the C 0-6-0, wouldn't it?)

Ah but eastern that is south Eastern gives you a lovely NRM 4-4-0 D class. I know the H and P would be great too but "chaque un son tour."

• RMweb Gold

Reflections on a theme of "Change at Darlington"......A1or train?

Just arrived on Tyneside.Great zoom up the A1....until....the dreaded "upgrading " roadworks between Leeming Bar and Scotch Corner.Full stop,then creep & crawl for next 5 miles.And the cause ? A 1970's Triumph Dolomite ....a yellow one,remember them? had broken down in the middle of the roadworks.....I used to pine to own one of those....

Roll on Wednesday. We can start a new thread on Hornby again!

Stewart

Not so fast!

The next Bachmann Collectors Club magazine is due early August (along with the new catalogues) so another club model should be on offer.

Usually something interesting or "pretty"...I wonder what it will be this time. :read:

RP

That would be a real challenge to the RTR folk. Having kit built a "Hardwicke" I can vouch for how difficult it is to fit a motor and enough weight for it to pull a decent train into this delightful but tiny loco.

It would be a winner for me and if we had Hardwicke, the LNWR 0-8-0 and perhaps a "Coal Tank" then I can see the LNWR getting the same sort of followers in RTR that it got with London Road models for kit builders.

This is one area where building a model from a kit or putting a kit chassis under a RTR model can be an advantage.

My LRM LNWR "Jumbo" weighs in at 129 grams (loco only) and still has room for more ballast but so far has pulled anything I have been able to put behind it on London Road or a large circular test track that I owned several years ago. Typically that is a rake of six carriages including a couple of heavy 57' coaches. I think it's down to having a compensated chassis, steel tyres, a Mashima 1124 motor with LRM 38:1 gears, all of which provide s smooth running loco with good adhesion. Decent controllers (Pentrollers and Modelex) probably also help The carriages, all kit built from metal kits have steel axles running in pin point bearings. So a RTR chassis with all the production/cost compromises may not provide such good results.

I don't share you optimism about pre-grouping RTR models creating a lot of interest in modelling pre-group railways. There is still so much, especially rolling stock, that is not available unless you are willing to build your own models. For many people, pre group carriages with their colourful liveries are a step too far. Undoubtedly such RTR locos would sell to those who already have such a layout or those who want something novel, but unless the manufacturers produce period suitable rolling, that is as far as it will go.

Edited by LNWRmodeller

.... as long as I'm not child / dog sting for my niece.

You appear to have an "IT" problem, or is my knowledge of the animal kingdom now obsolete? I thought it was wasps that sting, not dogs or children.

Edited by gr.king

I no, but just think how realistic it would be!

By an odd coincidence I have just started the required 00 figure ,just not sure what sex to make it  yet .A couple of minor gobs of putty determine that :-)post-4984-0-18936700-1406578778.jpg

When do we get to know tomorrow, is it a kind of 00.01 kind of announcement or can I go to bed?

Graham Hubbard from Bachmann will be here to announce the model at 12.30. Could also be another surprise for you as no-one

Seems to have mentioned anything else........hmmmmm?

Unless the delicious buffet distracts me from working, I will 'push the button ' around the same time.

You can sleep soundly tonight!

• Like 1

They are going to announce all the remaining unmade NRM locos as models, all exclusive through Locomotion at Shildon. Here is the blurb:

Each week a new model will be released, complete with blister pack, poorly written magazine and a naff DVD. First loco, £15, second loco £75, thereafter £150 each.

Collect the whole series and get a free set of O gauge figures with your 10th magazine ( very useful), some N gauge coaches with the 20th issue and finally a 4 metre square display cabinet with your final issue.

Don,t delay, order today, the Bachmann NRM series from local NRM museum at Shildon....

There. I think we will soon all have the loco we want.

Edited by JSpencer

They are going to announce all the remaining unmade NRM locos as models, all exclusive through Locomotion at Shildon. Here is the blurb:

Each week a new model will be released, complete with blister pack, poorly written magazine and a naff DVD. First loco, £15, second loco £75, thereafter £150 each.

Collect the whole series and get a free set of O gauge figures with your 10th magazine ( very useful), some N gauge coaches with the 20th issue and finally a 4 metre square display cabinet with your final issue.

Don,t delay, order today, the Bachmann NRM series from local NRM museum at Shildon....

There. I think we will soon all have the loco we want.

The NRM are actually part of a deal with the Great British Locomotives collection. Issues including Mallard, Flying Scotsman, City of Truro and Evening Star and a few others all containing NRM branding.

• Like 1

So much pressure generated by this excellent thread that I'm afraid I finally cracked, went into Mr Smith's reading library and picked up a copy of Model Rail, started at the back page cos I thought the ad might be towards the back, couldn't find it, worked my way towards the front of the magazine, got to front page, still hadn't found the ad, looked on cover, noticed it wasn't actually the latest issue...  

A true story. :scratchhead: 

• RMweb Gold

Graham Hubbard from Bachmann will be here to announce the model at 12.30. Could also be another surprise for you as no-one

Seems to have mentioned anything else........hmmmmm?

Unless the delicious buffet distracts me from working, I will 'push the button ' around the same time.

You can sleep soundly tonight!

Go on...tell me...what's the buffet menu?

I don't have the errant Model Rail ad but I'm getting a feeling it's steam, and very old, with celebrity status including a Thomas connection.

Which means it'll probably be the Shinkansen now.

I like the sound of the Thomas connection the 2 locos that spring to mind are ;

The Stirling Single (Emily in Thomas the tank)

And the D20 (Which I believe is Molly? )

But both are in Thomas the tank.

I'll have a Stirling single if it is :)

Edited by jamie.dunn