Bachmann NRM/Locomotionmodels.com - GNR Ivatt C1

Love the Meccano 'Girder Bridge'!!  You must have had them running for hours, as I noticed they're both pretty low on coal................................ :scratchhead: Great video as usual!

• Like 1

The Atlantic runs like a dart with no sign of hunting. As usual, well done Bachmann and well done Jenny..........Almost makes me want to start knocking posts into the back lawn and erecting planks, for there is really nothing to compare with a model railway in the great outdoors.

• Like 2

Very entertaining, great layout. Looks like boards are supported on brick pillars, but are there then cut-down metal fence post supports on top of the bricks to hold the boards?

Keep up the good work! 

Off to finish off running in my 251 then adding the fittings.

Brick piers with metal fencepost 'feet' bolted to the top into which a short length of fence post goes which the boards are bolted to. It protects from rot, is strong enough to walk on, and was easy to get level during the building process.

Brick piers with metal fencepost 'feet' bolted to the top into which a short length of fence post goes which the boards are bolted to. It protects from rot, is strong enough to walk on, and was easy to get level during the building process.

Thanks for info, been toying with the idea of some track in the garden for some time, for narrow gauge  (won't be as large as your set up though!) The metal fencepost "feet" look a really good idea.

251 does look good on a long run.

Has anybody taken any body-off pictures of these models yet? It would be nice to see what kind of mechanism lies within. If the makers have actually been far-sighted enough to make a mechanism that would potentially go under the body of Henry Oakley without modification that would be both interesting and surprisingly encouraging.

Has anybody taken any body-off pictures of these models yet? It would be nice to see what kind of mechanism lies within. If the makers have actually been far-sighted enough to make a mechanism that would potentially go under the body of Henry Oakley without modification that would be both interesting and surprisingly encouraging.

I did wonder if that was in mind considering the wheelbase was the same, perhaps this will be one of the next NRM models. Here is hoping as I would love to run the pair of Atlantics together.

I believe the exclusivity deal between Bachmann and the NRM was only for the C1 large boilered Atlantic. Henry Oakley is a C2 small boilered Atlantic and probably not covered by the 'deal'. I'm guessing Bachmann are therefore free to do the C2 for their own range, and not break the deal with the NRM.

We can only hope they do so !

Edited by GNR Dave
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I believe the exclusivity deal between Bachmann and the NRM was only for the C1 large boilered Atlantic. Henry Oakley is a C2 small boilered Atlantic and probably not covered by the 'deal'. I'm guessing Bachmann are therefore free to do the C2 for their own range, and not break the deal with the NRM.

We can only hope they do so !

As I understand it nobody is 'free' to make a commercial model of any loco in the National Collection without the agreement of the Collection (i.e. effectively the NRM).  And somehow i can't see them giving permission to someone else to make a  commercial model of an NRM engine without  a 'suitable financial arrangement' as it could potentially mean a loss of sales revenue for the NRM/Science Museum plus it could also possibly impact on their brand reputation.

As I understand it nobody is 'free' to make a commercial model of any loco in the National Collection without the agreement of the Collection (i.e. effectively the NRM).  And somehow i can't see them giving permission to someone else to make a  commercial model of an NRM engine without  a 'suitable financial arrangement' as it could potentially mean a loss of sales revenue for the NRM/Science Museum plus it could also possibly impact on their brand reputation.

Quite right Mike. All the items belonging to the Science Museum Group (of which the NRM is part) are their intellectual property. They have the right to reproduce in the first instance, or licence therafter. Please note that this means the taxpayer gets a return on the items conserved on their behalf.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Simon Kohler makes reference to Locomotion NRM brand. I think it was over on MREmag . Looks like its his intention to develop specific branding for the range of models in NRM so you will no longer have Bachmann boxes but something relating to NRM/Locomotion . Given they now seem to be developing the brand in its own right, I'd be surprised if they gave permission for others to make models in the collection. Looks like they are going to commission models from various suppliers (the last two announcements APT-E and Stirling Single are clearly with Rapido) in the same way probably as Hornby uses its various suppliers or Hattons use DJ Models and Oxford, as with their latest hopper.

In article with David Haarhuus of Bachmann in BRM I got the impression that Bachmann were not looking to do further commissions as they jhad been a distraction from manufacturing for the main range. I can't remember the exact quote and I'm out of country at moment but there is definitely a reference to commissions in that interview

Interesting times , it looks like we are seeing another supplier emerging (Locomotion/NRM)with profits ploughed back into the museum. Just hope they keep premiums reasonable

• RMweb Gold

Simon Kohler makes reference to Locomotion NRM brand. I think it was over on MREmag . Looks like its his intention to develop specific branding for the range of models in NRM so you will no longer have Bachmann boxes but something relating to NRM/Locomotion . Given they now seem to be developing the brand in its own right, I'd be surprised if they gave permission for others to make models in the collection. Looks like they are going to commission models from various suppliers (the last two announcements APT-E and Stirling Single are clearly with Rapido) in the same way probably as Hornby uses its various suppliers or Hattons use DJ Models and Oxford, as with their latest hopper.

In article with David Haarhuus of Bachmann in BRM I got the impression that Bachmann were not looking to do further commissions as they jhad been a distraction from manufacturing for the main range. I can't remember the exact quote and I'm out of country at moment but there is definitely a reference to commissions in that interview

Interesting times , it looks like we are seeing another supplier emerging (Locomotion/NRM)with profits ploughed back into the museum. Just hope they keep premiums reasonable

I believe the NRM already consider the 'NRM Exclusive' brand as fully established (hence their wish to protect it and preserve for it what they consider to be the 'right' engines etc - a policy with which I don't argue one bit).  Whether or not they will redesign the packaging to make it more distinctive is obviously another issue as is the matter of the manufacturers they use and that will be what it turns out to be (it strikes me that there is more mileage in the C1 than we have seen so far for instance).

The question of Bachmann taking on commissioned models is a separate issue I think and they have been turning away some commissions involving new tooling for a while so I understand - possibly because of the logjam in the tooling stage of production which has delayed their own brand project.  So it isn't really something which is new although they might now be placing greater emphasis on it than in the past as they endeavour to catch up on the backlog in their own programme.  and of course it's also in some respects in their interest to get the benefit of the sale as their own brand rather than that of a commissioner.

• Like 1

When I said free to make, I meant that it would not infringe the exclusivity deal announced at the time of the C1 launch. The C2 is a different loco. I am fully aware that any producer of a replica from the National Collection will have to negotiate a licence agreement etc. before proceeding.

I am fully aware that any producer of a replica from the National Collection will have to negotiate a licence agreement etc. before proceeding.

Nobody needs any sort of licence from anybody to make a model of anything.

Hi all

A quick update....black pristine atlantics turned up today. As it was a lovely day, and far too hot in the cupboard, we wrapped the models at the front of the museum and sent them on their way by half past 3. All those who have paid in full should get them delivered tomorrow. (Unless you live in Australia or somewhere equally as exotic, they take a little bit longer!)

We also took delivery of a lot of gnr 251. If you have paid in full your models will be on their way to you by the end of the week.

LNER are only a few weeks away.

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

I believe the NRM already consider the 'NRM Exclusive' brand as fully established (hence their wish to protect it and preserve for it what they consider to be the 'right' engines etc - a policy with which I don't argue one bit).  Whether or not they will redesign the packaging to make it more distinctive is obviously another issue as is the matter of the manufacturers they use and that will be what it turns out to be (it strikes me that there is more mileage in the C1 than we have seen so far for instance).

The question of Bachmann taking on commissioned models is a separate issue I think and they have been turning away some commissions involving new tooling for a while so I understand - possibly because of the logjam in the tooling stage of production which has delayed their own brand project.  So it isn't really something which is new although they might now be placing greater emphasis on it than in the past as they endeavour to catch up on the backlog in their own programme.  and of course it's also in some respects in their interest to get the benefit of the sale as their own brand rather than that of a commissioner.

Back in hotel I've had a chance to look out the Simon Kohler information. It was from MREmag on Monday and he was talking about "The National Collection in Miniature" brand. It would have uniform packaging and it's own brand and packaging style.

Nobody needs any sort of licence from anybody to make a model of anything.

I had been thinking that too.

Thinking specifically about the small boilered GN atlantics, were this matter of alleged "rights" to be legally contentious, it would be easy enough for a manufacturer to produce a model of a very similar member of the the class (not claiming to be Henry Oakley) leaving it to purchaser's to use imagination or some actual modelling work (shock horror for some, although others haven't totally lost the ability to take the initiative and have a go) in order to portray the NRM example. There could be a snag with the 251 chassis however....

A man well known for converting RTR OO models to EM gauge before most buyers have even taken delivery of the basic item was kind enough to send me a good side elevation photo of the NRM Atlantic mechanism, along with a note of the exact driving wheel size. If the perspective hasn't distorted things too much, and if my measurements and calculations are correct, then the top of the motor is certainly a bit more that 41 mm above rail level. Given that the small boilered Atlantics had a boiler pitched at all but 8 feet, with around 5 feet diameter over the cladding (I believe) then I reckon the outside of the boiler top should be only 42mm above rail level if modelled to scale. That would make for a VERY snug fit, to put it mildly.

Edited by gr.king

• RMweb Gold

And slightly different than the information in MREmag this morning.

Locomotionmodels.com Ivatt Atlantics update

I am pleased to advise that all paid for orders of the locomotionmodels.com GNR, BR and BR Weathered Ivatt Class C1 Atlantics have now been despatched. As yet locomotionmodels.com are awaiting delivery details of the LNER Class C1 models, however it is believed that these models will be available within the next two weeks.

Thank you all for your patience.

Simon Kohler

Within "two weeks" if they are right???? It would be nice to know who is giving out the more reliable information.

Also looking at headings on MREmag, are we to understand that the Single is to be made in silver, or can somebody over there not spell Stirling?