Bachmann NRM/Locomotionmodels.com - GNR Ivatt C1

Have just taken delivery of my pristine black BR Ivatt Atlantic. Assuming a common carrier is being used, it came by UPS. Thankyou Sandra and all at Locomotion Models, this was ordered for my wife's present to me for my 62nd birthday, and it's my birthday tomorrow - how's that for timing. Haven't taken it out of the box yet, but it looks the bees knees - well done, also like the box artwork with the National Collection taking more prominence over the manufacturer.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Have just taken delivery of my pristine black BR Ivatt Atlantic. Assuming a common carrier is being used, it came by UPS. Thankyou Sandra and all at Locomotion Models, this was ordered for my wife's present to me for my 62nd birthday, and it's my birthday tomorrow - how's that for timing. Haven't taken it out of the box yet, but it looks the bees knees - well done, also like the box artwork with the National Collection taking more prominence over the manufacturer.

You are not allowed to take it out of the box until tomorrow!  Be good now.

You are not allowed to take it out of the box until tomorrow!  Be good now.

I'll try and be good, but swmbo is off to work in 30 mins, so she'll never know - will she? (Probably got hidden cctv installed to check that I'm still doing the decorating). I didn't realise that painting on new plaster took so many coats - will it ever be finished, and who's idea was it to have a vaulted curved ceiling then!! - oh it was my idea-fool!!

I've just spoken to Locomotion and they are still saying 3/4 weeks but may know more on Friday afternoon.

I know they are unlikely to have any control over the matter of delivery, but suggesting that they are "still saying 3-4 weeks" isn't the same thing as saying that they are sticking to their previous projection of 3-4 weeks, starting a good 2 weeks ago. That ought to mean that the figure is now down to 2 weeks maximum. If asked again in another two weeks, will the projection still be 3-4 weeks???

• RMweb Gold

My understanding from the conversation I had with a young lady who asked somebody else there is that it was 3/4 weeks from now but more would be known after a meeting being held on Friday. Of course I could have misunderstood her.............

Edited by grandadbob

Guest spet0114

If asked again in another two weeks, will the projection still be 3-4 weeks???

And would that really matter?  It's pretty clear from the fact that the GNR and BR ones are turning up that the LNER ones aren't far away. If they're not on the current boatload, they'll be on the next one, or maybe the one after that. After all this waiting, is a fortnight here or there really worth worrying about?

Back in hotel I've had a chance to look out the Simon Kohler information. It was from MREmag on Monday and he was talking about "The National Collection in Miniature" brand. It would have uniform packaging and it's own brand and packaging style.

Link to MREmag here in case anyone is looking for it.

Locomotion is also running an email poll there to suggest future items for consideration for the "National Collection in Miniature" brand.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

And would that really matter?  It's pretty clear from the fact that the GNR and BR ones are turning up that the LNER ones aren't far away. If they're not on the current boatload, they'll be on the next one, or maybe the one after that. After all this waiting, is a fortnight here or there really worth worrying about?

In the grand scheme of things neither you, I, nor the Atlantic model matter at all, but what's the point in giving a forecast of 3-4 weeks if nobody really knows how long it will be? To do so is simply misleading, especially if previously stated arrangements regarding dispatch of the models to buyers, plus the inaccurate forecast, prompt us to pay up in full, earlier than actually necessary, in order to avoiding losing our places in the queue. I'm not suggesting that this is deliberate deception or even sharp business practice, but I may have better things to do with my money than to pay bills earlier than they need to be paid  

I know they are unlikely to have any control over the matter of delivery, but suggesting that they are "still saying 3-4 weeks" isn't the same thing as saying that they are sticking to their previous projection of 3-4 weeks, starting a good 2 weeks ago. That ought to mean that the figure is now down to 2 weeks maximum. If asked again in another two weeks, will the projection still be 3-4 weeks???

Simon has dropped me a line to say it should be in a couple of weeks, the paperwork has been received from Bachmann which normally precedes despatch and a conversation I've just had with the other end indicates it should be so too.

• Like 2

My Model Rail D11 'Marne' was defective and had to be returned. I received my GNR Atlantic yesterday, and that has a tight spot in the mechanism, preventing it from running smoothly, so that has to go back too - very annoying. I guess I've just been unlucky.

The difference is that with 'Marne', all I had to do was call Kernow Models and it was all sorted out very quickly, whilst I've tried calling and emailing Locomotion and received no response, and there's nothing in the paperwork that came with the Atlantic to say what to do in the event of a faulty loco.

My Model Rail D11 'Marne' was defective and had to be returned. I received my GNR Atlantic yesterday, and that has a tight spot in the mechanism, preventing it from running smoothly, so that has to go back too - very annoying. I guess I've just been unlucky.

The difference is that with 'Marne', all I had to do was call Kernow Models and it was all sorted out very quickly, whilst I've tried calling and emailing Locomotion and received no response, and there's nothing in the paperwork that came with the Atlantic to say what to do in the event of a faulty loco.

You might do better sending a PM to Sandra (LocomotionatShildon on here). I'm pretty sure she's not there everyday but she will respond and sort it. Mine came without detail parts but is being rectified.

In the grand scheme of things neither you, I, nor the Atlantic model matter at all, but what's the point in giving a forecast of 3-4 weeks if nobody really knows how long it will be? To do so is simply misleading, especially if previously stated arrangements regarding dispatch of the models to buyers, plus the inaccurate forecast, prompt us to pay up in full, earlier than actually necessary, in order to avoiding losing our places in the queue. I'm not suggesting that this is deliberate deception or even sharp business practice, but I may have better things to do with my money than to pay bills earlier than they need to be paid  

Precise dates must be next to impossible for anyone to give. Nominally it's six weeks on the boat from China, but it could be 5 or 7, and once the boat arrives it may be a week or two weeks or three weeks to clear UK customs and get delivered to Barwell. A forecast is just that, surely - a rough idea.

You might do better sending a PM to Sandra (LocomotionatShildon on here). I'm pretty sure she's not there everyday but she will respond and sort it. Mine came without detail parts but is being rectified.

Your suggestion worked and, thanks to Sandra at Locomotion, I've now received a fully functioning GNR Atlantic in place of the dodgy one.

Received my 251 from Locomotion and NRM yesterday and what a lovely model!

Here is the lining on the tender, the fall plate is up in the pic but sits perfectly when down;

post-7929-0-55552400-1430455085_thumb.jpg

and here are further pics as yet unfinished with front end detail to be added;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67999-lunester-lounge/page-360?&p=1873793

Stunning, in my view. the guard irons and coupling and hose etc genuinely finish these models nicely.

Thank you Bachmann, NRM, Sandra and team at Locomotion, good packaging too.  : )

Rob

Your suggestion worked and, thanks to Sandra at Locomotion, I've now received a fully functioning GNR Atlantic in place of the dodgy one.

Sadly I'm still waiting for my missing detail parts...

Sadly that is not a lot of help to buyers who are not on RM Web. They need to up their game and not expect one lady to do all the work.

• RMweb Premium

What do folk think that the people at Shildon should do? Should they employ more staff, especially for the mad rush that happens maybe once or twice a year when a new product comes out? Or should they train up other staff, assuming that they have some, so that when a model comes out those people can abandon and ignore their own work to help Sandra out? Or perhaps they should ban all holidays and have everybody working 7 days a week, perhaps 12 hour shifts.

Of course overheads would go up and that would probably reflect in a higher price for the models or might make them financially un-viable but that would be a small price to pay for providing an instant response to all enquiries and problems.

Or we can perhaps accept that it is really a very small operation, doing its best with limited resources and we could exercise a little patience and consideration. It is not easy when you have commissioned a loco from one company and they have it built on the other side of the world by another company and you are in the direct firing line of any problems.

It would be a sad day if the NRM at Shildon decided that it was too much hassle and it got too much grief when models come out so it wasn't going to bother any more.

My experience of the service offered by the NRM at Shildon and Sandra in particular has been as good as it can possibly be.

So many thanks from an appreciative customer!

Tony

Edited for typos!

Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 1

Thank you T B G

I'm sure the missing detail parts will be forthcoming.

Meanwhile, a couple more photos of the cab and fall plate of 251,
I am very impressed.

post-7929-0-04809400-1430515102_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-72331100-1430515140_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 14

I wonder if I dare look forward to an LNER liveried Atlantic within the next week? LNER society 50th anniversary symposium at the NRM on Saturday would be an oddly appropriate occasion on which to display or receive a model.

I wonder if I dare look forward to an LNER liveried Atlantic within the next week? LNER society 50th anniversary symposium at the NRM on Saturday would be an oddly appropriate occasion on which to display or receive a model.

Hopefully yes...they have just arrived.

Balances due before dispatch folks

• Like 8