Bachmann NRM/Locomotionmodels.com - GNR Ivatt C1

• RMweb Premium

Well I've just spent afternoon running my LNER C1 . I stuck a bit of tape over the open smokebox , then peeled it off hoping there would be enough adhesive transfer that would keep the smokebox door shut  without permanently glueing it. Seems to have worked. But really wonder why they've seen the need to incorporate a gimmick in this model? Operates well hauling my 6 rake of old Hornby Gresleys . Really nice just watching her run. Runs through 2nd radius points as well, no derailments on my undulating track. Nice lining on it too . Overall reasonably happy .

Only reasonably? Well yes part of me is still smarting over the £178 price tag. Its a nice model , but running in the other loop was my recently purchased Olton Hall. Yes I know its Railroad, its painted red, not a real livery, I'm a phillistine for running the two of them together. But she is equally a sweet runner , and bought at £47, so the Atlantic cost 3.78 times more . Yep better decoration (although the Hall has some very fine boiler lining) and its a model of something I've always wanted , but I have to admit still being 50/50 on whether I should have splashed the cash.

Just my  view , though, If your an LNER fan , I suppose you really must have this loco . She is a beaut!

• Like 1

Haven't Hornby stated that their policy is to produce complete new tooling for each new type rather than sharing tooling between models (eg. common tenders) for that same reason?

Not AFAIK.

May I refer you to the K1 with the B1 tender for an example.

Bernard

Guest spet0114

Has it now become a crime to fail to suck up to Bachmann?

My remarks fell far short of "berating", they quite specifically included the phrase "if any such planning was involved" to clarify the fact that those remarks were conditional. Use of the chassis for other purposes may well have been far from Bachmann's minds, but standardisation of tooling and parts in this particular case would have been extremely sensible in order to open up the possibility of low-cost introduction of additional closely related models.

The remark about lack of scope for conversion into an HST is nothing but ridiculous exaggeration.

I think you're wrong on several points here.

1. My post wasn't 'sucking up' to Bachmann, just defending them from unwarranted criticism. I'd describe your remark here as 'ridiculous exaggeration'. This is somewhat subjective however, maybe we should ask Bachmann's 'furious chimpanzee' to arbitrate?

2.  We have it on record from Bachmann that designing common chassis components represents no significant economic advantage (see 34C's post above, also Graham Muspratt's blog on the H2 chassis). Bear in mind also that Bachmann are a business and exist to make profit, nothing more. In this context, your 'conditional' remarks (assuming I understand your argument correctly), are basically saying " Dear Bachmann, I have no evidence to suggest that you took the unprofitable step of designed the C1 chassis to fit under a C2, but just in case you did, you got it wrong". Now if that isn't unwarranted critsism I don't know what is!

3. The HST comment was somewhat 'tongue-in-cheek', but actaully serves to illustrate a point. From the point of view of the engineer designing the C1 chassis, an HST is the same as a C2 or an H2 as they all fall into the category of 'things totally unrelated to my design remit from Locomotion'. 

This will be my last comment on this matter as I don't want to get involved in a personal argument. However, it'd be nice if in future you'd restrict your criticism to things that Bachmann (or Hornby, or whoever) have actually done, rather than those you assume they might have done! 

Cheers

Adrian

Edited by spet0114

• RMweb Premium

A couple of points

Bachmann are making lots of additional labour costs. You would therefore wonder why they don't make better use of common components. Yes I know there is a logistics cost of producing components that are not needed immediately, but surely at the design stage it makes sense to design a component that can have multiple uses, I'm not sure I buy the "each model is designed from scratch" argument , either. Examples have been given of the Hall which clearly has a common chassis . Triang Hornby used to use components that had multiple uses to reduce overall cost. Maybe instead of constantly reminding us of increase costs , Bachmann are missing a trick here. And No, I'm not advocating going back to common chassis for Jinties and 08 shunters, but it occurs to me there must be some commonalities eg on 0-6-0 locos and indeed on Marsh/ Ivatt Atlantics

Secondly . There's an assumption that a C2 would follow the production of a C1.  While they are different locos , I for one would be extremely hacked off if I just bought a C1 at a Premium price only to find an equivalent in the main range. Although I suspect one of the benefits of dealing with Locomotion is that they stuck with original price , while with Bachmann it would have increased 15% (more or less ) in March. I really wonder what price the Marsh Atlantic will end up at . Given the longevity of production process I could bet it might actually be more than my limited edition!

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

Where examples of common parts are concerned at the moment the only certainty I can see is common CAD files, no one has shown me any proof that says they've all come off the same tool, it's more likely 2 identical tools given the "no shared tooling idea" manufacturers seem to have. They afaik have said nothing about sharing CAD which would make sense.

Haven't Hornby stated that their policy is to produce complete new tooling for each new type rather than sharing tooling between models (eg. common tenders) for that same reason?

Not AFAIK.

May I refer you to the K1 with the B1 tender for an example.

Bernard

Hornby said they were going to produce a complete set of tooling for each model, even if that meant duplicates, rather than have a single set of shared tooling. The idea is/was to prevent a situation where production was delayed as tool A was being used for model A, which meant model B was delayed until the tool A became available. Someone might know off hand when it was mentioned, it was in the last 12 months I believe, but I can't remember exactly when.

Edit:

It was here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/86879-Hornby-meet-the-team/

"so there's a process underway to replicate such tooling if viable to reduce that bottleneck and all products currently approaching manufacturer will have a dedicated suite of tooling to allow the production to flow more smoothly"

We should probably get back on topic now..

Edit 2: Grammer

Edited by knapper

My LNER-liveried C1 arrived today in Aberdeen (did they ever come this far north in real life? I'm assuming they did on the Flying Scotsman, but surely someone here knows better and can correct me). It's a gorgeous-looking thing, and I'm extremely pleased with it - with a couple of caveats.

Firstly, it arrived without its bag of detailing parts. One quick phonecall to the ever-delightful Sandra swiftly sorted that, and I'm assured that the bag is now on its way. (Colour me very impressed with the quality of customer care).

Secondly, there seems to be something loose in the drivetrain somewhere - there is a noticeable growling when the locomotive is running forward that is virtually eliminated when in reverse. I'm not sure I want to start taking things apart at this stage, so can anyone offer a theory as to what the problem might be, and what they think the chances are that some running-in might settle things down?

Cheers,

Gavin

• RMweb Gold

Secondly, there seems to be something loose in the drivetrain somewhere - there is a noticeable growling when the locomotive is running forward that is virtually eliminated when in reverse. I'm not sure I want to start taking things apart at this stage, so can anyone offer a theory as to what the problem might be, and what they think the chances are that some running-in might settle things down?

Cheers,

Gavin

I found the same with my LNER C1 - growling when going forward but much much quieter in reverse.

Had the loco running round on analogue for quite a time today before fitting a Lenz decoder after which it did not seem to make as much noise as previously. Don't know if that was due to the running in or fitting the decoder.

Other thing I found is that the LNER version struggles uphill on my 2% gradients. It could not manage 3 Hornby Gresley teaks but could manage 2 Hornby teaks and a 2-axle CCT. My GNR version (after managing to refit the spring on the front bogie) manages 3 Hornby teaks up the gradients but could not manage 4 teaks. Bit disappointing really.

Keith

Just on the smokebox opening gimmick, I agree with it being a pain but why not site the decoder socket there? Would make taking the body off redundant and I'm sure save a lot of swearing as the wretched thing doesn't come off easily etc

My LNER-liveried C1 arrived today in Aberdeen (did they ever come this far north in real life? I'm assuming they did on the Flying Scotsman, but surely someone here knows better and can correct me)...

Not in the form of this model it wouldn't! In the early 20's 4447 ran with cut down boiler fittings and cab roof while temporarily assigned to the NB section (similar to the treatment that had to be given to the K2s which were permanently reallocated to Scotland).

These were never 'all line' LNER locos, and largely stayed on the GN section, coming off at York.

• RMweb Gold

Received my LNER version this morning , has anyone fitted a sound decoder yet? If so any recommendations for a suitable sound file? I have not seen a specific decoder for this loco

Bob

I have had a BR weathered version on loan so I could write a review for the BRMA Journal The Clearing House, of which I'm the Editor.  On reading above about the lack of pulling power on gradients I tested this version and found it would haul 5 of the later Hornby Gresley teaks up a 1 in 50 grade (2%).  This grade even started with a 90 degree 3 ft radius curve, admittedly it did slow around the curve (as expected) but recovered speed on the straight up the 1 in 50 of my branch. On the flat it comfortably hauled 7 Hornby teaks and 3 Kirk teaks.

I can't imagine that any of the versions should differ in this respect.  Will be interesting to see what my LNER version will do when it arrives, hopefully later this week.

Andrew Emmett

South Australia 

I can't imagine that any of the versions should differ in this respect.  Will be interesting to see what my LNER version will do when it arrives, hopefully later this week.

Andrew Emmett

South Australia 

You'd be surprised.

I have two Red-Boxed M7's: BR Black L/C 30031 (long frame) and NRM LSWR 245 (short frame). In reality, the difference in frame length on the models shouldn't really make a difference. However, 30031 can easily pull 6 Hornby Pullmans on level track with minimal wheel-slip, while 245 can barely move 6, and struggles with 4.

Regards,

Matt

My 3251 also coped with ten free-running, mainly plastic, bogie coaches on a generally level circuit. Thirteen completely defeated it when a three foot radius curve presented itself.

I have couple of DJH atlantics with added weight that will keep going smoothly with twenty, including some metal vehicles.

I reckon the NRM version can be beefed up with a little work.

• Like 1

Aaarrrgh. Do I want an LNER one too? Rephrase, can I justify an LNER too? Rephrase, should I get, no rephrase, am I too weak to resist an LNER version too? Yes, that's the way too phrase it.

Edited by Cooped
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

C1 Atlantics regularly hauled Pullman expresses on the ECML before being superceded by Gresley A1/A3's.Leafing through my copy of Banks&Carter's admirable LNER Passenger Trains and Formations,loads could prototypically vary between 5&8.Many were 12 wheelers.

My 3251 copes with 7 Hornby (lit) Pullman cars but no more.I'm happy with that besides which the "outfit" looks fabulous.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 2