Bachmann NRM/Locomotionmodels.com - GNR Ivatt C1

Like the rest of MR subscribers, my copy arrived yesterday, and was waiting for me when I came downstairs. A quick flick through the ads pages and I found the gen I wanted! I'll be in the line to order one on Tuesday without a doubt (whatever it may be!) I wonder if there will be a donation to a return to traffic of whatever the particular item might be, as it would be great to see it out and about, with some appropriate accompanying stock! Also I wonder if, like the GWR city, it will find it's way into the main range? That's assuming of course that is from more than a class of one and carried more than one livery! ;)

Cheers

J

• RMweb Premium

Well it might be a bit of fun , but frankly I just find it annoying that some people are in the know and others aren't. Once more, as in Christmas past, it seems it's Model Rail that's circulating the news. Credit to the folk that are honourable not to spill the beans,I don't dispute their integrity , it's just annoying we are in this position again. But hey it's only model railways.

• Like 1

To be fair to MR it is in the form of an advert and there's a good chance the editorial team don't review all the ads, possibly even handled by a different department who may know little amount model railways. It's also not that prominent - passed me by until I read on here and went looking for.

The NRM shop placed the advert and its content. It's therefore their responsibility and they should be well aware of any variations in print and publication dates which can affect deliveries of printed media to retailers and subscribers.

If they had any concerns about breaking their own embargo then they should have discussed it with MR and arranged - if practical - that it didn't happen, or pulled the advert content until the next edition.

Ps- I guessed right as to what it is. Does this mean I can complain it don't fit in with the era/location/company etc etc that I model? Or do I just take the froth as the fun it's supposed to be?

I don't see why that this new product doesn't fit in with your preferences should stop you from complaining. As for thinking that froth is fun, I think that you may be in danger of having a flippant and excessively light hearted attitude towards your modelling. (insert ironic smiley here!)

Edited by LNWRmodeller

Well it might be a bit of fun , but frankly I just find it annoying that some people are in the know and others aren't. Once more, as in Christmas past, it seems it's Model Rail that's circulating the news. Credit to the folk that are honourable not to spill the beans,I don't dispute their integrity , it's just annoying we are in this position again. But hey it's only model railways.

It is NOT Model Rail that is 'circulating the news'. The information is actually in Locomotion's own advert in  Model Rail. There is no NEWS or editorial information about it in the magazine and we have been careful not to 'circulate' any information. 

The only thing you need to watch with the train is that the service over the branch from Darlington to Shildon only runs at 2 hourly intervals so it's best to check connecting services from York which won't dump you on the station at Darlo for an extended stay.  York is far better hotel wise than central Darlington appears to be with some excellent places to eat and lots to see and do (hence I shall be staying there, instead of in Darlington, on Monday night enroute to Shildon).

But if you are hiring a car you need to check out very carefully the car parking situation at hotels in York as many have limited, or no, parking on site - you also need to book well in advance.

Yes, when I went up for the APT-E launch, I though I would be clever and catch an earlier East Coast train. All that I achieved was a longer wait at Darlington! Believe me, an hour and a half on Darlington station teaches you a thing or two about boredom!

CHRIS LEIGH

To be fair to MR it is in the form of an advert and there's a good chance the editorial team don't review all the ads, possibly even handled by a different department who may know little amount model railways. It's also not that prominent - passed me by until I read on here and went looking for.

We don't see ANY advertisement pages before the magazine goes to press - we have enough work dealing with the editorial pages! The Locomotion ad was pointed out to us by a subscriber who received his copy early. No one in the advertisement department would have recognised that there might be a problem as the advertisement does not carry the launch date.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

This just makes me laugh, the news is out in the big wide model railway world. :mosking: Yet no can say what it is on here. :rtfm:  Never mind I will have to wait until Monday evening when a fellow club member brings down his subscription copy of MR for the rest of us to have a butchers at. :O

I am not getting as the principal of embargoes and of course it's all great publicity for NRM/Locomotion, but 6 pages of head in sand about the official announcement of a flippin toy loco makes even the Commonwealth Games look mildly exciting.............By the time is is announced, will the rest of us be too late 'cos its sold out?   :smoke:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The NRM shop placed the advert and its content. It's therefore their responsibility and they should be well aware of any variations in print and publication dates which can affect deliveries of printed media to retailers and subscribers.

If they had any concerns about breaking their own embargo then they should have discussed it with MR and arranged - if practical - that it didn't happen, or pulled the advert content until the next edition.

Exactly so - and Chris (Dibber) has more than carefully explained the 'Model Rail advertising situation (twice I think).  No doubt if Locomotion did ask the advertisement department they would have been told the mag has a publication date of 31 July and would have taken that as ok because it happens to be after the 29th (I am assuming).  

Those of us who are 'Model Rail' subscribers know it is usual for us to receive the mag in advance of the formal publication date, if you aren't a subscriber you're hardly likely to be aware of that.  And as Dibber has said there isn't a single editorial hint about what the forthcoming NRM loco might, or might not, be.  It's all 'just one of those things';  it has happened, the clock can't be wound back, the mags can't be recalled, and all those who do know should do is play fair by Locomotion for their official launch of the model - and keep their mouths shut  (for a few days, why is that so difficult?).

I doubt I am alone when I raise a smirk at some of comments which appear to tell us the "bleedin obvious". honestly one or two commentators must have swallowed not only the book but the entire volume on telling us "this is how it is"....erm, and always after others have said their bit and laid their stall out which does make it easier pickings i guess for those not comfortable with wearing their heart on their sleeves. its as if the rest of us are expected to almost feel chastened.....you gotta laff......

Edited by ThaneofFife

I think those organisations that are providing copy or advertising to a specific time need to be aware that with Model Rail it is not just subscribers copies that appear well before publication date, as has been covered in this thread, it is also some retail outlet copies. In my part of the world, model shops in 2 towns that I frequent, receive their copies at roughly the same time as subscribers. This edition (Summer 2014) was received by the shop I order mine from on the 24th, a week before the official publication date, which is normal for them.

Once again, this has got to 'silly stage'. Mistakes have obviously been made, some people know. others don't, me included! 

This does annoy me!

If anyone that does know can pm me quietly, then thank you, .....a==holes, please don't bother!

Annoyed in Perth WA by supercilious t==ts  prolonging this thread...!

Peter C.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Once again, this has got to 'silly stage'. Mistakes have obviously been made, some people know. others don't, me included! 

This does annoy me!

If anyone that does know can pm me quietly, then thank you, .....a==holes, please don't bother!

Annoyed in Perth WA by supercilious t==ts  prolonging this thread...!

Peter C.

I don't know, either. As far as I am aware, I am unlikely to die in a ditch before the official date - at least not as a direct result of being in the dark on this. And the model may not be ordered, we are told, until the official wraps are off, so ignorance is no handicap just yet.

As storms in teacups go, this one is impressive.

I think this is all being taken far too seriously. Some people are taking it like they are personally being slighted. It was an honest mistake so can't we just leave it at that? :)

Think about it.

How many locomotives are there in the National Collection? Excluding Scottish prototypes as they are separately owned.

Now how many are realistically potential models that would sell to both modellers and collectors alike? How many would realistically buy a NER 2-4-0 for example? Pretty loco, but I can't see it being a big seller. Likewise Gazelle, Columbine, Hetton Colliery engine, etc.

Deduct all prototypes that have already been produced and there isn't a great deal to chose from in the Collection. Probably about twenty or so. If Bachmann, Hornby, Dapol, DJM, Heljan, Rapido, etc. keep producing models at the rate they have been over the last few years that list will soon disappear. If your chosen prototype isn't this one, better luck next time. But if people start moaning about things then they might not bother.

Regards Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In any case , having been disappointed in Bachmanns announcements last week, I think we are all holding out for something special. I had previously thought Atlantic, I've heard class 87 mentioned and SE&CR D class. All would be quite spectacular .Got a feeling we are going to be disappointed again! I must add I'm in the half that don't know so it's just supposition. DJ Daves were the most significant and exciting announcements . I suspect it will stay that way

Edited by Legend

Well that's my Flying Scotsman theory out of the window...

My DJH one is safe for another few years then..:-)

To be authentic the NRM can't do a Flying Scotsman RTR but only as a kit of mis-fitting parts that will cost too much and has no deadline for finishing 

Hat and coat on lol

Edited by 25901
  • Like 1

This just makes me laugh, the news is out in the big wide model railway world. :mosking: Yet no can say what it is on here. :rtfm: Never mind I will have to wait until Monday evening when a fellow club member brings down his subscription copy of MR for the rest of us to have a butchers at. :O

I thnk your original arrow may have found a worthy target..... That would make it a golden arrow

Only a few days to wait though.

Edited by black and decker boy

Yes, when I went up for the APT-E launch, I though I would be clever and catch an earlier East Coast train. All that I achieved was a longer wait at Darlington! Believe me, an hour and a half on Darlington station teaches you a thing or two about boredom!

CHRIS LEIGH

Rubbish. You can look around and see that theres one gorgeous and well built railway station that your standing in. A station with its design where even the roof and pillars were all standardised and able to be used elsewhere like Huil.

Theres also the complexity of modern train movements on a main station with branch line feeding services. The way in which trains arrive and are stabled, have to be pathed in between mainline services. The place where freight is pulled out of the way on the main loops and the areas which show that there are also other movements.

If nothing is running then theres sometimes peace and quiet but it doesnt last too long, especially on a day where the weather is good. Theres a decent coffee now with Costa there too. 

Yes you need to watch for the connection to Shildon which should be hourly, but Id rather spend hours at Darlington than many other places on the network. If anyone is curious, you can see why here; http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/f355976534

• Like 2