D & S cowans 15 ton crane kit

Hi there............at present I am making the above kit ( what a beast it is ), anyway as and when it is completed does anyone have an idea what colour it should be painted together with brassmasters matchtruck, and also were there any transfers applied to the crane..........I have searched the web and come up with, GWR grey and also black , the period of mine is in the 1940's up to nationalisation,  any help would be gratefully apprec iated..................

many thanks Dave Brighty..........

Depends on our period, but if GWR up to WW2, dark grey.  BR was black.

Brassmasters have been threatening to bring out a detailing kit and, although delayed umpteen times, the latest date is in the autumn.  However, seeing will be believing.  I have made one and have another but I am waiting for the detailing kit before making it.

Depends on our period, but if GWR up to WW2, dark grey.  BR was black.

Brassmasters have been threatening to bring out a detailing kit and, although delayed umpteen times, the latest date is in the autumn.  However, seeing will be believing.  I have made one and have another but I am waiting for the detailing kit before making it.

Hi David......many thanks for this info I thought it was dark grey but not absolutely sure.......do you know if there was any markings on the crane I have seen a picture of one with what looks like a tare weight but I cannot read it................

many thanks..................Dave Brighty

The GW version had minimal lettering (other than the metal plates) and the tare is somewhere around 53 or 55 tons.  I think the GW was 55 tons and Midland 53Tons.  I have seen some pictures somewhere but can't think where.  I must look them out.

• 1 year later...

Well here we are nearly two years on and Brassmasters have still not brought out the Gwr conversion, they say it should be this year but who knows.....

My kit has been finished as far as I can go and has been gathering dust on a shelf, the match truck has been started and progressing......

The question I would like to ask is.... There must be other modellers in the same situation and has anyone taken the plunge and done a conversion of their own, I have seen one which looks rather nice on Gwr.org and I am tempted to have a go but would welcome any help from someone who has gone ahead and done it.........I hope there is someone out there who can help........brighty1674......

You are not alone Brighty, I too wait patiently for the detailing kit. I did get to examine some test etches early last year and they looked very promising. I'll be asking for an update at Scalefour North in a few weeks, so fingers crossed for positive news.

I guess the guys at Brrassmasters have been preoccupied with getting the Finney range squared away, so they are forgiven!

Regards,

Andy.

Hi Andy......much obliged for your reply, perhaps you could let me know how you get on at scale four north exhibition and any news would be appreciated as I have e-mailed Brassmasters a couple of times but no reply has been received.......,

Many thanks.......dave

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you waiting for an update on the Brassmasters conversion/detailing etches for the D&S kit, the good news from the 'Horses Mouth' at Scalefour North is that work has re-commenced. It is hoped to have it completed and released ASAP, although no date commitment was given. This is at least positive in that the project has not fallen by the wayside, as some seemed to have feared.

Andy. 

• 4 weeks later...

I spoke with Brassmasters on this subject - as I understand did several other people - at ExpoEM.  Work has resumed.  I was shown the development of new sides and pistons which were exquisite.  The desire for the detailing kit has been firmly transmitted so I sincerely hope we might see something to purchase later in the year.

• Like 1

So it's a kit to upgrade the d&s kit not just to make the crane in to the GWR version or were the pistons different on the great western ones? Also are the d&s cranes still avalible? I emailed brassmasters a while ago an they didn't think they were going to ever get anymore in.

So it's a kit to upgrade the d&s kit not just to make the crane in to the GWR version or were the pistons different on the great western ones?

Not sure.  As I understand it, the crane was not company specific except for the painting.  I suppose as time went on, Companies might make alterations and repairs in their own way.  Regarding the pistons, I have no idea.  Would a company require different pistons when buying from a supplier?  The design was Cowan Sheldon's, not any particular railway company.

Also are the d&s cranes still avalible? I emailed brassmasters a while ago an they didn't think they were going to ever get anymore in.

Not 'off the shelf'.   When Brassmasters last had them in I think Danny Pinnock had put them together.  Perhaps if he could be persuaded to do so again . . . .??

Edited by davidbr

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Does anyone no of any updates on this yet?

Kind regards Neil

According to the Brassmasters Blog, dated 2.1.18 they are "getting to grips with a new 3D CAD and 3D printing" and hope to resume work on the crane kit shortly, should be available once castings have been done. Of course it all depends on how long they take to adopt the new technology, but I imagine it will be worth it.

David Murrell