The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

On 24/04/2020 at 20:24, steve45 said:

How can we have BLACK pale ale?

Who knows with beer.

That's what it said on the tin and as you can see it is very dark.

No runs this morning or a headache. (I obviously did not drink enough. Will try harder).

• Funny 4

• 2 weeks later...

Today’s tipple, to mark VE75, is brown ale.

two very lovely numbers from Alnwick brewery. Delivered by post this week after a story about the brewery  appeared on BBC and I decided to look at their online shop.

thoughts so far: Tasty

2007212D-8886-40B0-8866-1AED47C9573B.jpeg

69900BF0-1573-437B-9F91-FE5C400DB0E4.jpeg

Edited by black and decker boy
Autocorrect AARRGGHH
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Anxious to safeguard supplies during thelimitations imposed by the lockdown, I recently placed an order with an East Anglian company which, IMO, brews one of the best quaffing traditional bitters in the UK. And it arrived this week.

adnams.jpg.91d1065ce76de74e95ed44b93dd120e9.jpg

24 500ml bottles of Southwold Bitter and eight of Ghost Ship.  Supplemented by some local brews it should keep me going for a few weeks.

DT

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Torper said:

Anxious to safeguard supplies during thelimitations imposed by the lockdown, I recently placed an order with an East Anglian company which, IMO, brews one of the best quaffing traditional bitters in the UK. And it arrived this week.

adnams.jpg.91d1065ce76de74e95ed44b93dd120e9.jpg

24 500ml bottles of Southwold Bitter and eight of Ghost Ship.  Supplemented by some local brews it should keep me going for a few weeks.

DT

Very nice!!! ........and it’s nearly as good as Mashams finest Yorkshire bitter ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Suffolk ales can beat Yorkshire ales at any time. Now to retreat to the bunker.;)

Oh yes.......Nelsons Blood, from Maldon (OK so it’s Essex)...lovely.......and Adnams Broadside, my favourite......:drinks:

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Most East Anglian beers are very good as are many Kentish ales. East Anglia produces the malting barley and Kent produces the hops. Also the hard water is ideal for brewing beer.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Back in the70s and 80s I lived for many happy years in Suffolk, a county I still love.  Their beers were excellent - Adnams, Greene King and much lamented (by me at least) Tolly Cobbold.  There may have been others, but these were the days before micro breweries and anyway the existing ones were excellent and quite enough for me!  The situation across the border in Norfolk was different and dire, with Norwich Brewery having something of a monoploy.  It was owned by Watneys, so enough said.  Except that i remember going into a Norwich Brewery pub in Norfolk and, as I was driving, asking what soft drinks they had.  "Have you tried our bitter?" asked the landlord.

DT

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 15:11, Torper said:

Back in the70s and 80s I lived for many happy years in Suffolk, a county I still love.  Their beers were excellent - Adnams, Greene King and much lamented (by me at least) Tolly Cobbold.  There may have been others, but these were the days before micro breweries and anyway the existing ones were excellent and quite enough for me!  The situation across the border in Norfolk was different and dire, with Norwich Brewery having something of a monoploy.  It was owned by Watneys, so enough said.  Except that i remember going into a Norwich Brewery pub in Norfolk and, as I was driving, asking what soft drinks they had.  "Have you tried our bitter?" asked the landlord.

DT

It used to be said "There's good beer and there's bad beer and of course there's always Watneys" lol ....

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

In due course my recent order from Adnams will run out and I'll probably place another.  With the first order I played it safe and bought Southwold Bitter and Ghost Ship, both of which I know quite well.  However, I see that Adnams have a large range of more modern beers, eg the Jack Brand range and a couple of other ales which seem to reflect the modern move towards citrus flavours which I have to say I usually enjoy provided they're not overdone.  Has anyone here sampled any of these new beers and if so can you recommend them for inclusion in my next order?

DT

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Torper said:

In due course my recent order from Adnams will run out and I'll probably place another.  With the first order I played it safe and bought Southwold Bitter and Ghost Ship, both of which I know quite well.  However, I see that Adnams have a large range of more modern beers, eg the Jack Brand range and a couple of other ales which seem to reflect the modern move towards citrus flavours which I have to say I usually enjoy provided they're not overdone.  Has anyone here sampled any of these new beers and if so can you recommend them for inclusion in my next order?

DT

Try the Jack Brand New England IPA, Black shore Stout and Tally Ho Strong.

Lagers such as the new Camden on Sea and the Jack Brand Dry Hopped are also ok if you favour this type of beer.

All the above are good brews but will never surpass the excellent 6.3 abv Broadside ale.

Last night's ale for me was something from Greene King at Bury St Edmunds, the last few bottles being left over from Halloween.

IMG_20200512_190220.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Do Green King still produce their special Christmas ale? When I lived in Burnham-on-Crouch it was available in my local every Christmas. Due to its AVB the landlord limited it to two pints per customer. I lived only three doors away but that was still a distance on your hands and knees.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Do Green King still produce their special Christmas ale? When I lived in Burnham-on-Crouch it was available in my local every Christmas. Due to its AVB the landlord limited it to two pints per customer. I lived only three doors away but that was still a distance on your hands and knees.

I haven't seen that special Christmas ale for ages.

The last one I can recollect from memory was an Abbot dark ale with an abv north of 7%.

They now seem to market their Rocking Rudolf ale as a seasonal special which is nothing to write home about.

Greene King last year brewed Ruby Abbott for Wetherspoon's, this was for the chains Autumn beer festival.

A truly cracking pint which I sincerely hope they reintroduce.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, 88D said:

I’m not sure whether I should buy Sam Smith’s IPA again—-it goes down so quick I haven’t got time to enjoy it!

Same goes for their Stingo ale which is 8% +.

I usually stock up when I'm visiting North Yorkshire.

Also try the oatmeal stout, another star of Sam Smith's beer products.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Same goes for their Stingo ale which is 8% +.

I usually stock up when I'm visiting North Yorkshire.

Also try the oatmeal stout, another star of Sam Smith's beer products.

I am not a great fan of stouts, but I do like their oatmeal stout.

• Like 3