The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

28 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Just when we thought that Marston's had swallowed up too many regional breweries, news today of a mega-merger with Carlsberg's UK brewing operations. We seem to be reliving the 60s and 70s.

Indeed, more bad news for the smaller brewing community.

Marston's claim to produce the same products they've taken over.

You only have to taste Lancaster and Ringwood beers to realize this is not the case.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Indeed, more bad news for the smaller brewing community.

Marston's claim to produce the same products they've taken over.

You only have to taste Lancaster and Ringwood beers to realize this is not the case.

When Marston first took over Ringwood what had been a very good session beer went downhill, amongst other things they tried to shorten the brewing time. The closest you'll get to the old Ringwood is Flack Manor "Double Drop" brewed by a former Ringwood brewer. I feel the future of good cask ale is with the small local brewers. I used to drink with Ringwood brewery's founders son, he could tell some stories.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Just when we thought that Marston's had swallowed up too many regional breweries, news today of a mega-merger with Carlsberg's UK brewing operations. We seem to be reliving the 60s and 70s.

Probably....

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

It's Thursday today (I think) but this evening's beer is Pinnacle Bitter from The Friday Beer Company in Malvern - not so far from here, purchased in Morrison's.

. A very pleasing hoppy beer, ideal for summer drinking. 

• Like 3

ASDA were out of Wychwood Firecatcher, so I took a punt on Hobgoblin Gold (in cans) - surprisingly palatable when cooled in the fridge :)

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1

I didn't know Marstons had taken over Lancaster.  I remember that brewery being set up.

What about Jennings? Owned by Marstons I think? Who ever owns them was patient enough to stand by the brewery after major floods and get it open again instead of closing it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When it was very hot yesterday I had a glass of icy-cold tap water.  In the circumstances it was surprisingly good and very inexpensive so I had another one.

However I've got a bottle of Ghost Ship in the fridge for later today.  I wouldn't normally put it in the fridge but needs must......

DT

Edited by Torper
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, SD85 said:

I didn't know Marstons had taken over Lancaster.  I remember that brewery being set up.

What about Jennings? Owned by Marstons I think? Who ever owns them was patient enough to stand by the brewery after major floods and get it open again instead of closing it.

Do you mean Lancaster (Bomber) beer or brewery? Bomber was brewed by Thwaites along with Wainwright. The Thwaites brewery is still brewing but I believe they sold Lancaster Bomber & Wainwright to Marston. There was a lot of turmoil at Thwaites  and I think it was discussed earlier in this thread if I remember?

• Like 1

The brewery. Now you mention it those Thwaites beers were sold to Marstons. 

On a different note, does Phoenix Brewery still exist? Wonderful beers like Wobbly Bob but almost never found outside of Lancashire in my experience. 

Edited by SD85
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, SD85 said:

On a different note, does Phoenix Brewery still exist? Wonderful beers like Wobbly Bob but almost never found outside of Lancashire in my experience. 

yes, Phoenix is still going (or certainly was before lockdown) and available in several pubs in Rochdale including the Baum & Flying Horse

• Like 4

5 hours ago, SD85 said:

I've seen Phoenix beers including Wobbly Bob recently (Within the last 6 mths before lockdown) on tap at Wetherspoon's.

TBH, I've never seen it  bottled for sale in supermarkets.

Wobbly Bob is one of my favourite's and a good choice sir !

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, SD85 said:

Jennings also now in the hands of Marstons unfortunately.

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Torper said:

When it was very hot yesterday I had a glass of icy-cold tap water.  In the circumstances it was surprisingly good and very inexpensive so I had another one.

However I've got a bottle of Ghost Ship in the fridge for later today.  I wouldn't normally put it in the fridge but needs must......

DT

Hopefully with regard to Adnams Ghostship not the 0% alcohol free option lol.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Hopefully with regard to Adnams Ghostship not the 0% alcohol free option lol.

No!  I've read some favourable comments on this forum about alcohol free Ghost Ship, but I have to say that when I tried it I thought it was awful.  When I do drink alcohol free beer it tends to be a Warsteiner, brewed in Germany and really very acceptable chilled at lunchtime on a hot day.  I've also found Erdinger Alkoholfrie to be very pleasant in similar circumstances.   The regular Ghost Ship that I had out of the fridge this evening was excellent, by the way.

DT

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

One of the fine chaps involved with the Sherfield Village Brewery delivered a 9 pint box of their lush Simon's Milk Stout yesterday. 

http://www.sherfieldvillagebrewery.co.uk/

£18 including delivery (RG postcodes only) 

First few pints drunk in the evening watching some excellent bands playing as part of Attila the Stockbroker's virtual Glastonwick beer/music festival. 

IMG_20200606_142311.jpg

IMG_20200606_143058.jpg

IMG_20200606_142311.jpg

IMG_20200606_143058.jpg

• Like 4

On 29/05/2020 at 12:55, SD85 said:

Very much so.

Originally from The Wirral (but under a different name, Oak) before moving to Heywood.

Still call the owner Tony the Oak.

Many of the brewers came from Higsons when that closed down. Quite a few of the Higsons brewers used their redundancy money to open breweries. Cains was the notable one, before it was sold to dodgy owners.

Jason

• Like 3

Trying t keep up with brewery sales and takeovers in the UK is a nightmare. Here are a few that you may not know. 

Gales > Fullers

Dark Star > Fullers

Fullers > Asahi (only the brewery)

Sharp's > Molson/Coors

4Pure > Lion

Magic Rock > Lion

Camden Town > AB InBev

Beavertown > Heineken

Brixton > Heineken

Edited by AndrewC
schitty grammar
  • Informative/Useful 4

Fed up of trying to move my photo into this space here, so you’ll have to accept that tonight I shall be drinking Purple Moose ‘dark side of the moose’. Last one in the Co-op, otherwise I’d be drinking one tomorrow as

• Like 3

Hoping to do an All Line Rover in the summer (‘hoping’ being the operative word) but all being well I’m planning to go along the Airedale line on one of the days, and would quite like to stop off at Saltaire Brewery. Just wondered if anyone had been in their tap room before, and if anyone knew how long a walk it was from Shipley station? 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

We're lucky here, our local pub is doing takeaway food and has got a good selection of bottles in, mostly fairly local breweries. This week I'm tackling a Yorkshire Heart 'The vAle of York' dark amber, had the pale last week and they're both very drinkable.

Three things to remember though.

1. It's a 750ml bottle.

2. It's 6%.

3. It's a 750ml bottle...

20200608_200510_copy_1024x1684.jpg.b715572c3496429ed47798a637a5c2d1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

57 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

We're lucky here, our local pub is doing takeaway food and has got a good selection of bottles in, mostly fairly local breweries. This week I'm tackling a Yorkshire Heart 'The vAle of York' dark amber, had the pale last week and they're both very drinkable.

1. It's a 750ml bottle.

2. It's 6%.

58 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

1. It's a 750ml bottle.

2. It's 6%.

Yum, I do like a good amber. Licks lips, swipes on sleeve.

• Like 3