The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold
On 28/05/2020 at 17:09, Joseph_Pestell said:

It's Thursday today (I think) but this evening's beer is Pinnacle Bitter from The Friday Beer Company in Malvern - not so far from here, purchased in Morrison's.

. A very pleasing hoppy beer, ideal for summer drinking. 

Had a couple of bottles of their Black Hill Stout over the last couple of evenings.

Excellent. I would like to sell it but the brewery wants to sell it to me wholesale at a higher price than anyone can buy it in the supermarket. Breweries are killing pubs which is hardly sensible. Reminds me of a certain model railway manufacturer!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since today is the Swedish celebration of Mid Summer, we are starting at noon Swedish time and enjoying this on the patio. 

C77EC31D-274A-4BC1-BBDA-A358EEEA7590.jpeg.1862a6c2a8b73517313b6001d4430e0d.jpeg

We also have some cheeses and snacks to go along. 

Mr Roundhouse will know how and where we sourced everything. 

• Like 7

The first can from a box of stouts recently ordered from Top of the Hops in Stockton, first time I've used them but certainly won't be the last given their selection of craft ales and speedy service.

A comparitive lightweight to start with Full of Beans, a maple, walnut and coffee export stout at 8% abv from Wild Weather Ales of Silchester.

Decent stuff and not too sweet...more brews to come in the following days :drink_mini:

WWFOB.jpg

• Like 6

Supping a bottle of Wainwright (Marstons)  and thinking about all these brewers being taken over by the mega giants ------------

I remember when "Walkers Warrington ales" was taken over by the rival Yorkshire based Tetleys., resulting in Tetleys bitter brewed in Yorkshire becoming on tap in several Wigan pubs --------- This one the bridge Inn on Chapel Lane being our first port of call (a right old dive) - Just up the road was the Fox Tavern - Always a Tetley pub, always superb beer.  Both gone in the 70's.

image.png.2361ed3aeb08261c2f97f1b62927bcc2.png

Tetleys becoming widely available completely changed our Friday nights out. Saturday mornings were ruined - no more spewing up at 7am round the back of the gasholders working Saturday morning overtime at Wigan gas works with the head pounding - no more need for a half a dozen paracetamol !!!!!!!!!!! (and I haven't mentioned Greenall Whitley as we avoided those pubs like the plague !!).

Crazy days (I'm still suffering) !!!!!!!!!!

Never mind - Boris is opening em up again soon - just what my local will be like on the first day I dread to think - I am told you need to  pre-book your time for a punch up by smartphone app !!!!!

Brit15

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Supping a bottle of Wainwright (Marstons)  and thinking about all these brewers being taken over by the mega giants ------------

I remember when "Walkers Warrington ales" was taken over by the rival Yorkshire based Tetleys., resulting in Tetleys bitter brewed in Yorkshire becoming on tap in several Wigan pubs --------- This one the bridge Inn on Chapel Lane being our first port of call (a right old dive) - Just up the road was the Fox Tavern - Always a Tetley pub, always superb beer.  Both gone in the 70's.

image.png.2361ed3aeb08261c2f97f1b62927bcc2.png

Tetleys becoming widely available completely changed our Friday nights out. Saturday mornings were ruined - no more spewing up at 7am round the back of the gasholders working Saturday morning overtime at Wigan gas works with the head pounding - no more need for a half a dozen paracetamol !!!!!!!!!!! (and I haven't mentioned Greenall Whitley as we avoided those pubs like the plague !!).

Crazy days (I'm still suffering) !!!!!!!!!!

Never mind - Boris is opening em up again soon - just what my local will be like on the first day I dread to think - I am told you need to  pre-book your time for a punch up by smartphone app !!!!!

Brit15

Greenall Whitley, now that takes me back.

When I was coming home on leave, displayed just outside Crewe Station there was a Greenalls digital clock proudly announcing "You are on local time".

Some of their beers were ok such as their strong bitter named "Original" with an abv of around 5%.

• Like 2

Friday night and finally time for a drink after a busy day...a Bourbon barrel aged imperial stout at a family friendly 12.5% ABV from Fierce Beer of Aberdeen...very nice stuff indeed and reminds me of the mighty Goose Island Bourbon County Stout before it became nearly impossible to find in UK and then at a ridiculous price.

I thought I'd continue the theme with a generous dram of my nearly empty Laphroaig PX Cask...I've nursed this bottle for well over a year as replacing it will be hard work or expensive being a travel exclusive bottling...one of the better ones too as the sherry finish works surprisingly well with the peaty smack of the Islay malt and they've bottled at a generous 48% to carry the flavours well.

Best stick with this pair tonight though...I'm supposed to be at a friends house for breakfast tomorrow before wiring all the lights and power up in their new summer house... :dance:

BVBM.jpg

• Like 6

On 23/06/2020 at 22:47, Black 5 Bear said:

Greenall Whitley, now that takes me back.

When I was coming home on leave, displayed just outside Crewe Station there was a Greenalls digital clock proudly announcing "You are on local time".

Some of their beers were ok such as their strong bitter named "Original" with an abv of around 5%.

Not ‘some’, only Original’ was any good; but, on the whole, we tried to avoid their pubs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 88D said:

Not ‘some’, only Original’ was any good; but, on the whole, we tried to avoid their pubs.

You don't know what you've missed lol.

Greenalls cooking bitter and mild were quite passable from memory.

The quality of the beer was very much dependant like today on the licensee/cellarman of the establishment concerned.

I was told a while ago that someone had bought the brewing recipe for "Original" with the Intention of introducing it in bottles and cans.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

You don't know what you've missed lol.

Greenalls cooking bitter and mild were quite passable from memory.

The quality of the beer was very much dependant like today on the licensee/cellarman of the establishment concerned.

I was told a while ago that someone had bought the brewing recipe for "Original" with the Intention of introducing it in bottles and cans.

Webster’s (Halifax) also had an Original, and that was the only beer of theirs that I liked. We avoided their pubs as well: like  you intimated, beer has to be kept well to stand a chance of being liked! 

• Agree 2

Webster’s Yorkshire bitter kept me afloat for many years. Not enough abv% to cause any morning after effects but tasty enough and great value.

my life would have been a lot more head achey with today’s 5 & 6% IPAs as standard weekend fodder

Banks bitter was one we avoided and switched to their mild when on holiday

• Like 1

15 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

Webster’s Yorkshire bitter kept me afloat for many years. Not enough abv% to cause any morning after effects but tasty enough and great value.

my life would have been a lot more head achey with today’s 5 & 6% IPAs as standard weekend fodder

You’re right, Graham, about it’s low abs, and I didn’t mind that either. What I disliked was that most of their pubs seemed to serve bottom of barrel cloudy measures. Hey ho.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

Can you still get it, I know they went out of business. 

• Like 1

On 29/06/2020 at 22:23, black and decker boy said:

I tried Banks Bitter a few months ago and wasn’t so keen on it, but I am very keen on Banks Golden, which has an incredible taste for 3.8%. 

Sorry to take this conversation down another sharp turning but does anyone know how long draught ale will keep for out of the fridge? When the travel restrictions are lifted I’d quite like to take some draught ale to some friends of ours up in Cheshire, but I don’t know how well it would cope with a long journey. 

• Like 1

Well I had recently planned not to drink on weekdays in a small effort to make inroads into my ever increasing weight, sitting on my arris all day at work is the main problem though, and my best and easiest excuse to others for my recent bridging of the 16 Stone mark...not something I'm particularly happy about to be honest!

Of course I'd like to blame a friend for my obvious lack of willpower tonight though, gone to form a bubble or some such 2020-speak with his girlfriend in Lincoln and has been sending me photos of the local brews he has been imbibing over the last couple of days.

Naturally this led me to rummage in the booze cupboard to continue my current stout based adventure...this time something a little different from Untitled Art Brewing of Waunakee in Wisconsin...a rather nice and oily Honey Stout at a surely nutritious 12% ABV.

UAH.jpg

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Bert Cheese said:

Well I had recently planned not to drink on weekdays in a small effort to make inroads into my ever increasing weight, sitting on my arris all day at work is the main problem though, and my best and easiest excuse to others for my recent bridging of the 16 Stone mark...not something I'm particularly happy about to be honest!

Of course I'd like to blame a friend for my obvious lack of willpower tonight though, gone to form a bubble or some such 2020-speak with his girlfriend in Lincoln and has been sending me photos of the local brews he has been imbibing over the last couple of days.

Naturally this led me to rummage in the booze cupboard to continue my current stout based adventure...this time something a little different from Untitled Art Brewing of Waunakee in Wisconsin...a rather nice and oily Honey Stout at a surely nutritious 12% ABV.

UAH.jpg

It is amazing how the beer is able to pour itself out of the can and into the glass... :D

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

Last night brought new arrivals with a biscuity theme from Glen Affric Brewery of Birkenhead...

At 9.5% and in a 440 ml can these pack quite a wallop, imbibing one straight from work without eating first and probably slightly dehydrated was with hindsight not the wisest move...I nodded off after one can and awoke feeling a tad unusual 3 hours later at 9.30 pm realising I had to cook some dinner as I had a fairly full on day helping lay a patio today...all is well now though thanks to the restorative qualities of tea throughout the day :)

TGA.jpg

• Like 4