Experience with Peco Smartswitch

kirtleypete

Interesting. I logged on today to find out about this "damned thing" - I can't get it to work even at the first stage - one switch, one servo!

Looking for help and inspiration I thought I'd have a look through the Forum. I wonder, has ANYONE (apart from Peco) got this to work successfully, or is it really a white elephant?

Going to Youtube next to see if there's anything positive about it (again apart from Peco).

All in all, not a good advert for Peco but hey ho. I could've spent my £60 on something more useful by the sounds of it.

Not impressed at all.

Hi, just read the latest posts on this subject.
Since my previous comments I have now ditched and sold my smart!!! frog boards and started to use the Tam Valley Hex Juicer.
This is a far better option as I could never get the peco frog boards to work properly most of the time and oh those endless wiring conections.
The hex juicer boards require just 8 wires to control 6 frogs! They also never fail to work properly. They are also available in 1 & 2 frog units.
I now have 16 smart switch units with DCC boards working ok, but it can be a bit fiddly to set up the servos if they are towards the back of over 2' wide boards with one side access.
My latest complaint about the Peco/ANC smart system is the cost of the extention cables and the different colours there seems to be no set standard, also some have clips to hold them into each other but most have not got this improvement.
I have bought some unbranded servo cables at a fraction of the cost of the Peco units.
For a look see I also bought 2 servos on eBay that arrived from Hong Kong and were the exact match of the ANE/Peco ones at about £2 each including postage. On arrival they were exactly the same make and code number, on test they worked just the same.
JohnMax 

Interesting. I logged on today to find out about this "damned thing" - I can't get it to work even at the first stage - one switch, one servo!

Looking for help and inspiration I thought I'd have a look through the Forum. I wonder, has ANYONE (apart from Peco) got this to work successfully, or is it really a white elephant?.

How are you powering the unit?

There is a specific note in the Smartswitch manual that implies the requirements without being explicit enough:

"The SmartSwitch can use DCC track power as its input voltage,

but it will not work with direct AC current."

This implies to me it will not work from the standard 'Aux' output (AC or DC) from an older style 'DC' controller as it does not include sufficient smoothing capacitance on-board. You are OK with a smoothed and/or regulated DC PSU - or DCC power which doesn't need much capacitance to keep things alive due to its waveform, but anything that 'dips' slowly through zero 100 times a second probably won't work.

• RMweb Gold

This implies to me it will not work from the standard 'Aux' output (AC or DC) from an older style 'DC' controller as it does not include sufficient smoothing capacitance on-board. You are OK with a smoothed and/or regulated DC PSU - or DCC power which doesn't need much capacitance to keep things alive due to its waveform, but anything that 'dips' slowly through zero 100 times a second probably won't work.

Again, just anecdotal experience, but I'm running mine off the AC output of a knackered old 1960s controller and it's been fine.

Again, just anecdotal experience, but I'm running mine off the AC output of a knackered old 1960s controller and it's been fine.

I read on the manufacturers web sit last year that applying AC current to these units will damage them.

I have no problem with the smart switch or the smart stationary decoder but the smart frogs are hopeless.

I have 14 up and running with 16 more to go. One problem I have found with the extension cables is that they are in several different colours, some have built in clips some don't, the ends are often different plug types although they are compatible. Some are quite loose and are a total menace. What I have found is that you often have to miss match the connection for colour coding. If they don't Work turn the cable around I have had to do this on anumber of servo connections. Peco have a warning about this in the instructions I think, or it may be on thèir site.

Have a look at the ANC site although this as been completely altered recently.

John Max

I have messed about with the Peco servos and SmartSwitch arrangement. You can get them to work eventually but they are not worth the effort. I am switching to a combination of the Proto87 Mole stall-motors (with integrated crossing polarity change) which are much easier to install and work out about the same cost as servos (or cheaper if you use the Peco/ANE system) with much less in the way of control systems and far less wiring and involve about the same amount of DIY as a MERG solution, plus a few, rather more expensive Minx Microdrive motors for some key locations where servos or Mole motors won't fit.

• 2 months later...

Having caught up with this topic I tought I would dig out my Peco SmartSwitch set and have a go.

I managed to set it up correctly and the servo arm moves, but it has a juddering effect. Is this normal or have I missed something?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Brian

Having caught up with this topic I tought I would dig out my Peco SmartSwitch set and have a go.

I managed to set it up correctly and the servo arm moves, but it has a juddering effect. Is this normal or have I missed something?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Brian

You need to adjust the movement using the buttons for the servo that is juddering, you may at times require more than one go at this.

John

You need to adjust the movement using the buttons for the servo that is juddering, you may at times require more than one go at this.

John

John

Do you mean the swing/length of movement or the speed?

Brian

• 4 months later...

I have just come into railways after a lifetime of R/C planes and boats, i wanted something more relaxing!!!HA I bought the PECO smartswitch because I understood servos. First the servo holder  had no Fulcrum hole in the frame, second the servo creeps when at stand still, third when set up the servo changes position so no ellectric contact with rails, and now this afternoon plug into a second board to set up another four turnouts the code reads 9.9. on enquiring to PECO go back to your supplier, fortunately my local model shop. When i checked out the layout I have done so far all servos have gone back to full throw, what a joke. I feel like given it all up, i've wasted countless £'s and hours of work (mostly frustrating work). Whilst I appreciate everything is built to a price I find these servos are the cheapest going and the quality control lacking somewhat, a few more pence spent on the servos and making a reliable circuit board would only add a small amount to the total price but would make a lot of people more happy. Brian

• RMweb Premium

Bit of an old thread, but I remain staggered at the price Peco are charging for the servos. I bought 60 from AliExpress for <£1 each. I opted for MegaPoints boards at £50 for 12 outputs, but I've used splitter cables to throw crossovers/scissor crossings from a single output.

60 points required 4 boards, so £260 for boards and servos plus £30 or so for cables, microswitches and toggle switches.

Price per point <£5. Not too bad IMO.

Don't quite get why you need to see both the point blades and the actuating arm when adjusting, I do mine just looking at the points. When they move, done...

The issue with the actuation wire changing length across the throw of the servo is a frustration, but one I've mitigated in the 40 or so points I've wired up so far.

I have just come into railways after a lifetime of R/C planes and boats, i wanted something more relaxing!!!HA I bought the PECO smartswitch because I understood servos. First the servo holder  had no Fulcrum hole in the frame, second the servo creeps when at stand still, third when set up the servo changes position so no ellectric contact with rails, and now this afternoon plug into a second board to set up another four turnouts the code reads 9.9. on enquiring to PECO go back to your supplier, fortunately my local model shop. When i checked out the layout I have done so far all servos have gone back to full throw, what a joke. I feel like given it all up, i've wasted countless £'s and hours of work (mostly frustrating work). Whilst I appreciate everything is built to a price I find these servos are the cheapest going and the quality control lacking somewhat, a few more pence spent on the servos and making a reliable circuit board would only add a small amount to the total price but would make a lot of people more happy. Brian

There are better quality products on the market at a lower price. Not sure why Peco plumped for the ANE product rather than one of the others when doing their re-badging exercise since it has come out very expensive. The SG92R is a slightly better servo more suited to the task that is generally available for a similar price to the SG90.

That said if the SG90 or SG92R are driven correctly with thought given to how they are controlled they do work very well and don't twitch.

Brian,

Pack it up neatly and send back to Peco direct. Address it to BEN ARNOLD who is Engineering Director, and STEVE HAYNES who is Sales Manager and ask them for comment and replacement.

Address is:

PECO Ltd,

Underleys,

Beer,

Devon, EX12 3NA

Best wishes,

Bob

Edited by NERBOB

Guest 40-something

Send it all to Peco, tell them you want a full refund and take yourself to Megapoints, no connection other than a satisfied customer.

I have a layout working exclusively with servos. It has been in operation for over three years now and has proved very reliable. The only problems I have encountered were due to pilot error. All points, semaphore signals, uncouplers and even the shed doors are operated by servos using MERG circuit boards driven from a computer. I made my own servo mounts as the MERG items weren’t available at the time. I have found servos far superior to all other types of point control I have tried and very cost effective. The MERG circuits give adjustable travel and speed and can be set up for each servo in a matter of minutes using the free MERG software. Video and photos of the servos in use on the layout can be seen on our website http://a19modelrailwayclub.org/layouts/alwinton/

I still have 28 Peco Smart Boards/Servos working ok with the DCC programer board.

The latest servos have a very poor quality bracket towards the originals.

I use Tam Valley Juicers for polarity, The use of just point blades for contact is a problem with Peco points in the long run, I do find it is a very poor design that needs to modify the electro frog points for DCC.

When I switch on the power the servos return to their original set positions which I find is often the opposite to what is required, I have bought some Servo reversers but have not fitted any yet.

Only occasionally does a servo require readjustment, my most common fault is the wire rod connector to the points some times flirt out of the holes in the servo arms. Although I think most of this is poor fixing.

I agree that some parts of the Peco/ANE are very over priced, some times the extra parts add up cheaper than the sets, I contacted Peco about this but never had a reply.

The big fault with the Peco system is the Frog Boards which are an absolute disaster, I got rid of mine at a big loss.

I feel that this system was a good idea gone wrong, lack of adequate testing and design, the biggest one being the amount of wire connections required for the full system and the Frog Boards should have been built into the main board.

Almost all my purchases for this system were bought at discounted prices.

I control the points from a NCE DCC system which works very well and the Macro works as long as you enter some of the point numbers in twice to cause a slight time delay.

I'm now experimenting with JMRI but find it is a very long learning curve.

Hi again and thanks for input. I have been back to shop and they (Platform Models) are sending off on my behalf to PECO. I await a reply. Meantime I have ordered a Megapoints controller, hopfully be able to plug in my existing layout and carry on building it. Brian

Well my Megapoints board arrived next day as promised and i set it up in about an hour using existing servos etc. It worked first time. Only problem the PECO supplied servos still crept when no signal so I changed them for the recommended HK ones and everything worked OK. Very please will now carry on with layout. Brian

• Like 1