Dapol Maunsell Coaches in N

Chris Higgs

On 23/01/2020 at 17:09, Stefen1988 said:

That "BR Green" looks like Malachite Green

Can someone confirm this?

The Dapol 'BR(S) Green' is more like Malachite, but despite my advising them of that when the painted EPs were displayed, they didn't change it.

The Farish version on their Bulleids is a shade too dark, so you can't win...

On 01/02/2020 at 19:44, Stefen1988 said:

Could someone make a Comparison Picture of Maunsell Coaches in BR Cream/Crimson with Farish Coaches in the same Livery?

The crimson/cream on both manufacturers' products appear to be largely the same - I certainly have items of both and they look the part when running in a rake together.

Dapol have used the earlier version on their low-window Maunsells, the running numbers are at the left-hand end of the coach and the above-window crimson stripe is rather broad compared to the later version (right-hand numbers) used by Farish on their Bulleids and Mark 1s.

In later years, BR(S) tended to omit the above-window stripe on Maunsells, as on the corridor side of high-window versions, there's very little space to put one...

• 5 months later...
On 21/07/2020 at 13:20, Graham_Muz said:

Dapol have today announced new tooling for Maunsell High Window coaches. 

see here for details https://grahammuz.com/2020/07/21/Dapol-announce-new-n-gauge-maunsell-high-window-coaches/

This is the same as announced on a sheet I have in front of me dated '12/2018 V1.2'. They haven't made any progress since, obviously...

I have previously been in contact with Richard at Dapol regarding these - the set details I published on the Dapol Forum clearly said '3738'; and I suggested he change the individual BTK to 3733 as 3730 isn't a 6-compartment BTK.

Not that you don't need some sort of magnification to see the running numbers anyway...

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...

You will be pleased to read that Dapol's Maunsell high window coaches in Southern olive green have now come out with sets to follow.

2p-014-001 4 coach set 193 which was used on the London - Bognor and Chichester service can be pre-ordered from Hattons for £106.21.

2p-014-010 6 coach set 456 ran on the London- Bognor and Portsmouth service and can be pre-ordered from Hattons for £158.91.

For further information please see page 69 for set 456 and page 73 for set 193 of An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches by the late Mike King.

• Like 2

I agree that they are excellent value for money.  Looking at the coaches Dapol are selling separately Dapol seems to have numbered them correctly to form part of sets for the south western division.

Set 201 forming part of a twelve coach train from Waterloo to Bournemouth, Swanage and Weymouth

2p-014-020 3730 BTK

2p-014-040 5635 CK

Set 204 forming part of a 10 coach train from Waterloo to Portsmouth

2p-014-060 7228 FK

2p-014-080 1122TK

Further information is on page 73 of An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches by Mike King.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2020 at 15:26, Robin Brasher said:

I agree that they are excellent value for money.  Looking at the coaches Dapol are selling separately Dapol seems to have numbered them correctly to form part of sets for the south western division.

Set 201 forming part of a twelve coach train from Waterloo to Bournemouth, Swanage and Weymouth

2p-014-020 3730 BTK

2p-014-040 5635 CK

Set 204 forming part of a 10 coach train from Waterloo to Portsmouth

2p-014-060 7228 FK

2p-014-080 1122TK

Further information is on page 73 of An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches by Mike King.

The 2P-014-020 is not numbered 3730 - I have one, it is a 6-compartment BTK numbered 3733, the number I had advised Dapol to use. 3730 was a 4-compartment BTK, which Dapol have not yet produced in high-window form.

3733 spent all its service life in set 180, a WoE 2-brake set, its partner being BCK 6674. Hopefully when Dapol get round to producing the BCK, the running number of the one they produce will be... 6674.

Edited by talisman56

• 2 weeks later...

The arrival of Maunsell high window set 193 from Dapol has given me an opportunity to compare them with my old generic Graham Farish coaches.  The Graham Farish coaches were a reasonable representation of Maunsell high window coaches but the Dapol versions are more sophisticated.  The Graham Farish coaches were a brighter shade of olive green and had black roofs whereas the Dapol coaches have white roofs.  The roofs of prototype coaches turned black very quickly in use.

P1000158.JPG

P1000160.JPG

The brakes of the GF 'Generic' main line stock, while there was a slight curve to the bodyside, did not have the flattened narrower section or Guard's duckets, making them more akin to Restriction 1 stock. The coach end gangways were BS-style rather than the SR standard Pullman style gangway.

They were alright in their day, but fall down nowadays due to their lack of detail.

As for the roof colour of the Dapol offerings, out with the airbrush and weathering paints... :)

Edited by talisman56

• 2 years later...

Several retailers have been selling Dapol N gauge Maunsells really quite cheaply, and I got tempted ... I've always had a soft spot for this design of coach, especially in olive green. But I've always felt there was something a little 'off' about the Dapol model. When they were so cheap, I bought a set of 3 to try and see if I could get them looking in a state I'd be happy with.

Seems like the main problems, to my eye, are:

- Highly prismatic glazing

- Ultra matte bodyside finish, which always seemed glossy on the prototype.

- Glossy self-coloured black underframe

- (white roof - may be prototypical - but weathered incredibly quickly)

So I tried the following:

- Painting the edges of the flush glazing moulding - I found Tamiya flat dark brown worked best

- Covering the glazing moulding with Klear - I initially tried the aircraft modellers technique of dipping it in, but the 'punched through' design of the moulding trapped far too much on the inside! So on the other side I just painted the outside with it, and got a good result)

- Varnished the body sides with two coats of Klear for a semi-gloss finish 

- Painted the underframe with Tamiya rubber black 

- Weathered the roof first with a dark enamel wash, then a light airbrushing of Vallejo German Grey, and finally plenty of AK Ultra Matte varnish.

I'm pretty pleased with the results!

IMG_20231031_072906.jpg.3ff8425fdca6782c29f07024023c951f.jpg

Before and after

IMG_20231031_072708.jpg.e8ab2f26f0a00d97669280df1bc1e684.jpg

Implausibly posed on my work in progress 2mm distillery layout.

It now feels to me like a model that feels plausible, and can stand up against the Farish birdcage stock!

Justin 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
On 31/10/2023 at 08:04, justin1985 said:

Several retailers have been selling Dapol N gauge Maunsells really quite cheaply, and I got tempted ... I've always had a soft spot for this design of coach, especially in olive green. But I've always felt there was something a little 'off' about the Dapol model. When they were so cheap, I bought a set of 3 to try and see if I could get them looking in a state I'd be happy with.

Seems like the main problems, to my eye, are:

- Highly prismatic glazing

- Ultra matte bodyside finish, which always seemed glossy on the prototype.

- Glossy self-coloured black underframe

- (white roof - may be prototypical - but weathered incredibly quickly)

So I tried the following:

- Painting the edges of the flush glazing moulding - I found Tamiya flat dark brown worked best

- Covering the glazing moulding with Klear - I initially tried the aircraft modellers technique of dipping it in, but the 'punched through' design of the moulding trapped far too much on the inside! So on the other side I just painted the outside with it, and got a good result)

- Varnished the body sides with two coats of Klear for a semi-gloss finish 

- Painted the underframe with Tamiya rubber black 

- Weathered the roof first with a dark enamel wash, then a light airbrushing of Vallejo German Grey, and finally plenty of AK Ultra Matte varnish.

I'm pretty pleased with the results!

IMG_20231031_072906.jpg.3ff8425fdca6782c29f07024023c951f.jpg

Before and after

IMG_20231031_072708.jpg.e8ab2f26f0a00d97669280df1bc1e684.jpg

Implausibly posed on my work in progress 2mm distillery layout.

It now feels to me like a model that feels plausible, and can stand up against the Farish birdcage stock!

Justin 

Nice work Justin, a great improvement I think!

Tom.