Dapol Maunsell Coaches in N

Chris Higgs

very good news but frustrating that there are no Br versions out yet! I know they are on the way but a little surprised they have not done a batch release of Br liveries as well.

Best wishes

Simon

So what livery can I expect on my set I have on pre-order from Hattons? Their description on the order states BR, if not I don't want it.

The current ones are in lined SR Olive Green, which places them in the late 1920s and 30s. Hattons website details just say 'Lined Green' - the only livery in which they had lining was the SR Olive Green...

If you have on order the 2P-012-251 'Maunsell Set 450' this is not what you will be getting, as set 450 was a Restriction 1 set and the Dapol coaches are Restriction 4 models. This was pointed out to them fairly early in the process, and they said they will cancel that set. They have now produced a 'half-set' of set 469 in its place, comprising a BTK, TK and 2x FK. You may wish to reconsider your pre-order in respect of the vehicles in the set and the livery which they will be wearing...

Edited by talisman56

The current ones are in lined SR Olive Green, which places them in the late 1920s and 30s. Hattons website details just say 'Lined Green' - the only livery in which they had lining was the SR Olive Green...

If you have on order the 2P-012-251 'Maunsell Set 450' this is not what you will be getting, as set 450 was a Restriction 1 set and the Dapol coaches are Restriction 4 models. This was pointed out to them fairly early in the process, and they said they will cancel that set. They have now produced a 'half-set' of set 469 in its place, comprising a BTK, TK and 2x FK. You may wish to reconsider your pre-order in respect of the vehicles in the set and the livery which they will be wearing...

This is what the order states Dapol 2P-012-251 Maunsell Set 450 Lined Green BR (3rd brake 4069, composites 5161 & 5162 and 3rd brake 4070) so the BR is a mistake. Guess I'll have to cancel.

The set description is Dapol's mistake, the 'BR' is Hatton's as Dapol have always described the set as being in 'Maunsell Lined Green'. It is disappointing not to get what you wanted, but apparently there are BR(S) Green versions out 'fairly soon after the Maunsell Green ones'. Time will tell what 'fairly soon' means...

I have two orders out with two different suppliers - it will be interesting to see which one get here first...

The set description is Dapol's mistake, the 'BR' is Hatton's as Dapol have always described the set as being in 'Maunsell Lined Green'. It is disappointing not to get what you wanted, but apparently there are BR(S) Green versions out 'fairly soon after the Maunsell Green ones'. Time will tell what 'fairly soon' means...

I have two orders out with two different suppliers - it will be interesting to see which one get here first...

Order has been cancelled so will watch inbox for email from Hattons when BR version is announced/released. Will it be before the Farish Bogie B Van which has been on pre-order since December 2013?

• RMweb Gold

I think I might have put a spanner in their works with my EMail telling them that no-one would buy one of the BR liveried Brakes because the prototype 4049 didn't last long enough to receive any type of BR livery as it was a victim of the Luftwaffe...

Manufacturers could so easily avoid this by supplying unnumbered with a selection of transfers. That would also help any modellers who want several of the same type of coach.

Seems to me that manufacturers are still too much in train-set thinking (and to some extent collectors' thinking although I am not aware of much collecting going on in N).

Dapol tried their class 73s without numbers with the transfers and they were a flop, very few sold if I remember correctly. Also with coaches, the numbering is so small that you are limiting the modellers capable of doing it to very few compared with the number of people who will buy these coaches so I do not think that un numbered coaches will be a financial failure.

I think that wioth these, it is the choice of coaches rather than the numbers which is the issue. A simple range including types suited to simple rakes such as the brake comp/brake 3rd combo would have been a better bet they could have even released these as a 2 coach set complete with set numbers etc.

Never mind, I am still looking forward to getting some when the Br ones eventually materiaslise, yes I know a repaint is easy but this way gives me more time to save up for them as well!

Best wishes

Simon

Dapol tried their class 73s without numbers with the transfers and they were a flop, very few sold if I remember correctly. Also with coaches, the numbering is so small that you are limiting the modellers capable of doing it to very few compared with the number of people who will buy these coaches so I do not think that un numbered coaches will be a financial failure.

Its interesting that Dapol have done completely undecorated releases of several of their N gauge wagons recently. They haven't sold out that quickly or anything, but then Dapol steam era wagons in N don't anyway as many are slightly "representational". However I suspect the logic is that people are more willing to have a go on a wagon than a coach or a loco.

I'm a big fan of unnumbered\undecorated models, BUT I recognise that the subsection of modellers who are sufficiently bothered about route and precise era appropriate numbering, specific locos for "their" area etc etc to want to apply their own numbers from decals, rather than having it ready out of the box, is basically the same group of modellers who are willing to get out the T-cut\scalpel and remove the factory numbering to do so! 

Its interesting that Dapol have done completely undecorated releases of several of their N gauge wagons recently. They haven't sold out that quickly or anything, but then Dapol steam era wagons in N don't anyway as many are slightly "representational". However I suspect the logic is that people are more willing to have a go on a wagon than a coach or a loco.

Some are more accurate than others. I have bought a couple of Siphons to paint in BR Crimson, a common livery that Dapol mysteriously refuse to offer any of their stock in.  :scratchhead:

OK, I exhibited at the Yate show today and got the first chance to look at the new Maunsell coaches and I have to admit, they look superb. Not able to check dimensional accuracies etc but was very impressed. Lining possibly a little thick but as I want Br green, that ain't a problem!!

I was happy to wait for the later Br releases but seeing them has made me impatient and may end up getting some to repaint myself.

Best wishes

Simon

OK, I exhibited at the Yate show today and got the first chance to look at the new Maunsell coaches and I have to admit, they look superb. Not able to check dimensional accuracies etc but was very impressed. Lining possibly a little thick but as I want Br green, that ain't a problem!!

I was happy to wait for the later Br releases but seeing them has made me impatient and may end up getting some to repaint myself.

Best wishes

Simon

They are superb models - with all the detail as it is I couldn't bear to want to repaint them...

Do these fine offerings from Dapol match any Maunsell coaches in preservation anywhere? I checked Bluebell & Watercress rolling stock lists, but couldn't find any matches... Curious if there are any preserved examples of these models. If so, links or pics would be appreciated. Thanks.

Do these fine offerings from Dapol match any Maunsell coaches in preservation anywhere? I checked Bluebell & Watercress rolling stock lists, but couldn't find any matches... Curious if there are any preserved examples of these models. If so, links or pics would be appreciated. Thanks.

There is a list of Southern Railway carriages in preservation on this page: http://southernrailwayman.weebly.com/southern-railway-preserved-carriages.html

None of the Maunsells listed are low-window vehicles.

Edited by talisman56

• 2 weeks later...

T9 with a rake of Maunsell coaches from Salisbury crossing Corfe Viaduct on the Swanage Railway.

I am very pleased with these coaches as they are the first N gauge Southern Railway coaches we have had since the Graham Farish generic coaches.

I thought that Maunsell coaches were handed so that the corridor was always the same side of the train in a rake of coaches. On the Dapol coaches the corridor is on the same side in both brake coaches so one corridor will be at the opposite side to the rest of the train.

I note that the Van C has a grey roof whereas the coaches have white roofs. The roofs quickly weathered to grey in service.

post-17621-0-12365800-1423592825_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

T9 with a rake of Maunsell coaches from Salisbury crossing Corfe Viaduct on the Swanage Railway.

I am very pleased with these coaches as they are the first N gauge Southern Railway coaches we have had since the Graham Farish generic coaches.

I thought that Maunsell coaches were handed so that the corridor was always the same side of the train in a rake of coaches. On the Dapol coaches the corridor is on the same side in both brake coaches so one corridor will be at the opposite side to the rest of the train.

I note that the Van C has a grey roof whereas the coaches have white roofs. The roofs quickly weathered to grey in service.

The SR followed LSWR practice and arranged the corridors so they alternated down the set, but stopped short of having 'handed' Brakes. The 'Ironclads' were the last SR stock constructed with 'handed' brakes, for use in sets with an odd number of vehicles. With an even number of coaches in a set, the corridors will alternate OK, but with an odd number then there will be two neighbouring vehicles which will have their corridors on the same side. The usual arrangement for a 3-set was to have the first-class in the CK to be arranged next to the lower-numbered BTK (corridors on opposite sides) and the other BTK would have its corridor on the same side as the CK. With 5-sets and higher, the situation quickly got messy and sometimes two of the inner vehicles were same-handed rather than the higher-numbered BTK and its neighbour. ...And once they started to include open vehicles...

In pictures from the late-30s onwards, show that some cases the inner vehicles of high-window sets were arranged so that the corridors were on the same side and therefore with one of the brake vehicles, the other one, of course will have the corridor on the opposite side to the rest of the set. Whether this spread to the low-window sets cannot be confirmed, as the corridor windows are the same height as the compartment windows on the other side (most pictures concentrate on the train with the loco in prime position, and the coaching stock is very much in the background and it is very difficult to distinguish a corridor window from the compartment windows at a very shallow angle of view).

When introduced, the Bulleids followed basically the same principle but as the BTKs were semi-open there wasn't the same problem with alternating corridors with the brake vehicles.

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...

For Chris Higgs, re your post 47/page2, please can you tell me the running number range for the BY Vans??

regds

Chris

Diagram 3092 Van C/BY vans: 400-49 (Ashford, 6-7/37), 651-750 (Ashford/Eastleigh, 3-9/38), 751-800 (Eastleigh, 3-10/39), 931-80 (Eastleigh, 10/40-1/41) Ref. King, An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches.