Dapol Maunsell Coaches in N

Chris Higgs

Dapol website launches page updated with June delivery of br livery maunsell coaches. What is the make up of coach set 469?

Plus final cad cam of both four compartment break diagram 2101 and six compartment composite diagram 2401.

In BR days, 469 was formed BSK-SK-SK-FK-SK-BSK, using 4048/2351/2350/7665/2349/2789.

2789 was a D.2113 high-window 1935 stock BSK, installed in 1945 as a replacement for 4049, which was damaged beyond repair in September 1944.

I have sent Dapol two eMails regarding the non-prototypical appearance of 4049 in BR days, but obviously they have ignored them...

Edited by talisman56

Dapol have listened to advice in the past, they changed one of the Granges they were going to make when I pointed out it ran with a 3500 gallon Collett tender which is not one of the ones they make. What sometimes happen is they do not update their announcements to reflect the fact. A lot of shops were still advertising Maunsell coach set 450 right up until the coaches came out.

I find they are more inclined to listen if you present a viable alternative together with evidence to back it up. Of course they may have painted themselves into a corner a bit with this one due to the fact that there is only so much they can do with the 6-comp brake 3rd.

On the plus side, it is good to see that the Brake compo and 4-comp brake 3rd are coming this year. Now the WoE mainline looks a lot more viable.

Plus final cad cam of both four compartment break diagram 2101 and six compartment composite diagram 2401.

Would these be suitable for making up a 2-coach local set (I think they were sometimes called P-sets).

Would these be suitable for making up a 2-coach local set (I think they were sometimes called P-sets).

The 2-coach local sets 'R' (later 'P') (22-29) were high-window stock, except for the BCKs in 23/28/29 which were low-window.

The 2-coach local sets 'R' (later 'P') (22-29) were high-window stock, except for the BCKs in 23/28/29 which were low-window.

Am I right in assuming that the high windows are on the corridor side only? So if I have an end-to-end layout rather than a continuous run I could cheat? Run a brake second with the compartment side on view and a brake compo and IO could depict sets 23, 28 & 29?

D*mn - sussed me out already! :) :nono:

Yes, the term 'high-window' applies to the windows which extend up to roof gutter level on the corridor side of the vehicles. There are certain detail differences between low- and high-window stock which we needn't bother with in N scale as they won't be noticed by the casual viewer...

Edited by talisman56

I suggested to Dapol today at Ally Pally that they market the Maunsells in prototypical numbered 3-sets and the forthcoming 'high window' brakes in 2-sets as well as offering singles. My suggestion seemed to be well received, so fingers crossed and we will be able to run prototypical formations. I didnot suggest set numbers but explained that there was lots of info out there. I should think it makes good marketing sense too.

Gerry

I suggested to Dapol today at Ally Pally that they market the Maunsells in prototypical numbered 3-sets and the forthcoming 'high window' brakes in 2-sets as well as offering singles. My suggestion seemed to be well received, so fingers crossed and we will be able to run prototypical formations. I didnot suggest set numbers but explained that there was lots of info out there. I should think it makes good marketing sense too.

Gerry

The 'forthcoming brakes' aren't high-window coaches, just the low-window 4-compartment 3rd Brake (BTK) and 6-compartment Composite Brake (BCK) to match the existing coaches. The BTKs will enable 3-car 'P' sets to be made utilising the existing CK coaches, and the BCKs were loose vehicles used on the 'ACE' in its Maunsell guise and branch line services.

Edited by talisman56

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Dapol have an ad in the new, August issue of Model Rail announcing the BR green versions will be released in July.  2 running numbers each of 1st Class, Brake 3rd, 3rd, Composite and Brake Van. 

And just as the bank account is taking one hell of a drubbing from Farish with the Merchat Navy and imminent N Class.

Good times down south.   

Dapol have an ad in the new, August issue of Model Rail announcing the BR green versions will be released in July.  2 running numbers each of 1st Class, Brake 3rd, 3rd, Composite and Brake Van. 

Looks like they've taken at least one of the points I've made into account - the number of the coach with model number 2P-012-352 is now given as 4051, not 4049. The other error has not been corrected, though. 2P-012-302 has incorrectly been given the number of an 'Ironclad' first...

• 1 month later...

Received my BR SR Brakes this morning, label on box for 2P-012-352 still says 4049 and that is number on the coach!  Also it has what appear to be blue 1st class stickers, both sides, on the 2 windows closest to the guards compartment.

Edited by Dancess

Hmm, practising for the forthcoming brake compo perhaps?  :scratchhead:

It is a shame that Dapol produce fundamentally good models but then frequently fall down at the deco stage with silly mistakes (GWR route colour discs seem to be essentially random on their panniers).

I also remember a batch of NQP Gresleys at a Dapol Club day that were NQP only because the factory had put First Class and No Smoking signs on the wrong windows....

Likewise A3s with the RA number in the wrong corner because the left cabside had been carefully printed - with the right cabside tampo and vice-versa...

Deco mistakes are just as likely to originate in China as Chirk.

Les