A 'Quickie' out of doors - now Palin's Yard

peter220950

I shall be following this with great interest as I'm giving O gauge serious consideration.

I have just ordered both volumes of Gordon Gravett's books. Are there any others you would recomend?

Brookers

Edited by Brookers
  • Like 1

I shall be following this with great interest as I'm giving O gauge serious consideration.

I have just ordered both volumes of Gordon Gravett's books. Are there any others you would recomned?

Brookers

I haven't seen or used anything as good as these, I use them for reference and ideas all the time, one of the shelves shown in the photo of the workroom is full of modelling books, but those two are the ones that get used 95% of the time, the only other ones I tend to use are for track building, many of which are 4mm books, but the principles are just the same.

When you have stock and layout built, or in progress, the weathering, buildings, and scenery volumes from the same stable are also worth a look, but to get started these to me are the best source of inspiration. For anything else, once you are started, just have a browse on the book stands at any of the exhibitions where they are on sale, and see what takes your fancy.

If you want to get hooked just buy a Parkside or similar wagon and a length of track, I'm pretty sure we will then have you addicted! if not you should be able to get your money back on anything built.

It's also worth trying to get to one of the O Gauge Guild or ALSRM exhibitions to get a feel for what's out there,

http://www.alsrm.org.uk/

http://www.gauge0guild.com/

they are at several venues, my mate in Shepton comes up here to go to Telford with me but also goes to Reading on the train (from Castle Carey I think), and there's also a good show at Bristol in January.

You don't have to join, but it will give you a flavour of the kits, RTR and accessories that are now coming on stream, it's likely that you will find something to suit any budget, with RTR loco's coming on stream from under £200.

I moved 'up' in the 1980's, when you needed tin snips and a soldering iron to do anything in O, but it's remarkable what's now available.

• Like 1

I know of a couple of  small RTR industrial locos to get you going.

Don't I know it! - I've been trying to resist one of those Fowlers with sound and stay alive's, but I think I'm weakening.

I started out intending it for 0-4-0's but have also eased curves and made a 3' 0" template to ensure track and turnouts suit a Hudswell, in preparation........

Could you clarify the length please. You talk of a stand available with an 8ft gap, then of two doors, then of a reduction possible to one 6'6" door.

Kenton,

Sorry for the confusion, I shall be building it to Gordon's original length of 8 foot, using two doors with 2' 6" cut off each, I was also just speculating that it might be possible to actually get it to fit on one complete door, to effectively avoid any woodwork.

There's about 3" at one end which is the road in front of the office building, the turntable could be shortened by 2" and moved to hang over the end, as well as my offset to one side, and a bit of compression here and there should make it possible, if slightly more restrictive, to 'lose' the 1' 6" needed to get it down to door size. That way it could fold flat against a wall over a bed, fit under, or what I have also thought about in the past, hang on the back of an existing door.

"Just love GG's drawings - artistry."

What I want to know is why one man has so much talent and a wife who can model better than most of us!

• Like 2

What I want to know is why one man has so much talent and a wife who can model better than most of us!

...... And two of the nicest people you could care to meet!

You're fighting a losing battle with the Fowler - there'll be one running there in no time, I'll be bound......

...... And two of the nicest people you could care to meet!

You're fighting a losing battle with the Fowler - there'll be one running there in no time, I'll be bound......

As someone that picks his up from layby tomorrow morning... I can attest to the lure of the little green (soon to be blue and hopefully S7!) loco. It had been taunting me in the shop window for months!

36" radius is about a scale 2 chains. This is pretty darned tight, and only very short-wheelbase 0-6-0 locomotives would have managed to go around these. I hope that the new Dapol Terrier will manage the same.

Our Hudswell Clarke is 5'9" + 5'9" and will easily traverse a 36" radius curve. In trials it started to protest at 28" radius. The Terrier's wheelbase is 6' + 6' so I would expect it to be able to negotiate 36" radius. I've ordered two Dapol Terriers. I'm not a Southern Railway or Region type, but anything with Richard "Lionheart" Webster's fingerprints on will be worth owning. His Lionheart 64XX pannier tank loco is a peach, as are the autocoach and wagons from the same stable.

Stage 1 The Baseboards

Bournville has baseboards, made from joinery shop cut timbers, of unusual design, built with cost as no compromise, and took many months to design and build. This time I was looking for something a bit quicker, easier and cheaper.

Why then am I using internal doors? – Well they are cheap, rigid and light. For those, (like me), with few woodworking skills they provide a simple way to provide a solid flat track base. A door similar to the ones I would need, but wider, has stood outside my front door, under cover but exposed to the elements, for longer than I care to remember, yet it remains as straight as a die. As well as building the layout I finally managed to get this one up to the tip.

post-18627-0-22479100-1406655055_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-12579500-1406655063_thumb.jpg

The down side is that there isn’t such good access for wiring or mounting point motors, hopefully I can show that this isn’t an insurmountable problem.

Internal flush doors come in a variety of sizes from around 2’ 0” x 6’ 6” up, in widths of 3” increments, don’t use fire doors as they are solid cored and very heavy.

A quick search of websites indicates that they are available from next to nothing, for used or damaged doors, to around £25.00 for a new door. Damage isn’t really a problem as there’s a chunk to be cut off, and the finished surface will be covered with scenery anyway.

post-18627-0-17771400-1406655060_thumb.jpg

I need two 4’ 0” boards to suit the track plan, I could have  gone for a 6’ 0” board and a 2’ 0” one, to keep all of the turnouts on one board, and the turntable on the other, but storage and handling also come into the equation.

Starting with what might prove to be a recurring theme in the thread I started by hunting around to see what was lying about, sure enough a couple of correct width doors were located in the depths of the garage.

post-18627-0-86114300-1406655057_thumb.jpg

First job was to get the doors to the correct length, the required length was marked and scored with a Stanley knife. A timber batten was temporarily screwed to the door at the edges, (where the framing is), at an offset suitable to guide a jigsaw or circular saw blade. A strip of masking tape was stuck on to minimize edge damage, though again not really necessary, and the end was cut off the door.

post-18627-0-88011400-1406655066_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-38907000-1406655073_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-13879300-1406655065_thumb.jpg

For those with few skills and few tools the batten can be screwed on the cutting line as a guide for a hand saw, or the face of the door can be cut through with repeated strokes of the Stanley knife, allowing for just a bit of sawing to the side rails. There’s also a chance you will hit a solid block of wood used to house the door latch so don’t worry if it suddenly gets difficult to cut.

The timber end rail from the removed door section can be cut down, and the door face can be trimmed off to provide a filler for the uncut end if required, or if you’re feeling flush £3.00 or so will buy a 28mm thick timber to infil the ends, this being my first expenditure on the layout.

post-18627-0-03124200-1406655069_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-29097300-1406655071_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-28767700-1406655133_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-30748900-1406655135_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-59452100-1406655127_thumb.jpg

To join the two doors I am reverting to a pair of pattern makers dowels and holes for bolts and threaded inserts. For those on a budget these can be dispensed with, a thin ply ledge can be fixed to bottom of one of the boards at one end, to allow the adjoining board to sit on it, and a pair of clamps used to hold the boards together, or over centre catches on the front and back.

I made a simple drilling jig from a bit of foam-board to ensure that the holes were in the same position on each board, and pilot holes were drilled of about 2mm diameter.

Pattern makers dowels and brass threaded sleeves were inserted into the boards and to provide holes for bolts, access holes were cut in the bottom of the one of the doors to allow insertion and tightening of bolts. A length of 8mm studding is screwed into the brass bushes, the layout is pushed together, and the wing nuts are tightened up to assemble the layout, simple, cheap and cheerful.

post-18627-0-13753800-1406655052_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-35398600-1406655099_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-79389600-1406655101_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-52176400-1406655106_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-87725300-1406655103_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-15214700-1406655109_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-16795700-1406655111_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-81577100-1406655113_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-44226600-1406655116_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-03366200-1406655118_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-75669500-1406655096_thumb.jpg

The pockets formed for the wing nut access can be replicated to place point motors under the track if using conventional motors, once wired a cover of some sort will keep them protected.

For those on a tight budget the door off-cuts can be re-used as timber for back scenes and the like, or with further doors, as a support trestle for the layout.

post-18627-0-37199000-1406655131_thumb.jpg

Just to show my woodworking skills are about as good as my ballet dancing ability I show the joint, which has resulted in a flush board surface joint, but with a slight offset between the boards, not to worry, I will sort his out when installing front and back trims or take off the surplus with a rotary planer.

post-18627-0-33804300-1406655129_thumb.jpg

Costs for the baseboard phase.

To date everything has been using stock items, except for the infil to the board ends, so there’s been very little cost on my build (£2.20).

If buying new, a pair of doors and fixings should cost around £60.00 and if doing it on a budget it can be completed for anywhere between £15.00 and £25.00, using second hand or damaged doors, not bad for a pair of baseboards?

Time Taken

This phase has taken me two days, bearing mind that due to other commitments a ‘day’ represents about 3 hours modeling, there’s always plenty of other things that need doing around the house and garden, so it’s 2 ‘till 5 modelling time on a bad day, and 9 ‘till 12 as well on a good one..

• Like 7

I haven't seen or used anything as good as these, I use them for reference and ideas all the time, one of the shelves shown in the photo of the workroom is full of modelling books, but those two are the ones that get used 95% of the time, the only other ones I tend to use are for track building, many of which are 4mm books, but the principles are just the same.

When you have stock and layout built, or in progress, the weathering, buildings, and scenery volumes from the same stable are also worth a look, but to get started these to me are the best source of inspiration. For anything else, once you are started, just have a browse on the book stands at any of the exhibitions where they are on sale, and see what takes your fancy.

If you want to get hooked just buy a Parkside or similar wagon and a length of track, I'm pretty sure we will then have you addicted! if not you should be able to get your money back on anything built.

It's also worth trying to get to one of the O Gauge Guild or ALSRM exhibitions to get a feel for what's out there,

http://www.alsrm.org.uk/

http://www.gauge0guild.com/

they are at several venues, my mate in Shepton comes up here to go to Telford with me but also goes to Reading on the train (from Castle Carey I think), and there's also a good show at Bristol in January.

You don't have to join, but it will give you a flavour of the kits, RTR and accessories that are now coming on stream, it's likely that you will find something to suit any budget, with RTR loco's coming on stream from under £200.

I moved 'up' in the 1980's, when you needed tin snips and a soldering iron to do anything in O, but it's remarkable what's now available.

Thanks for the reply, I will keep my eyes open for books.

I have looked at joining the guild already. I think I will take your advice and order a wagon kit and some track. I'm thinking about having a go at building my own, would C&L point in a bag kit be a good starting point?

Part two is good, I'm already looking forward to part three!

ATB

Brookers

Brookers

I think I will take your advice and order a wagon kit and some track. - Gotcha! :devil:
I'm thinking about having a go at building my own, would C&L point in a bag kit be a good starting point?  

A C&LPoint kit is a good starter as they supply timbering in appropriate lengths, parts filed up, vee pre-made, and the variety of chairs you need. Otherwise you have to spend a lot of money buying packets of 250 chairs, only to find you don't take to it.

See how you get on and if you like it you will probably get confident enough to make the Vee's and blades yourself, saving quite a bit of money. C&L track is also probably better than Peco in an ideal world, the rails are slightly canted and it has a solid underside to the sleepering which I find easier to stick down.

I'm using Peco on this layout purely because there's several yards in the roof so it costs nothing, this is that sort of layout, it's primary function is testing stuff.

If you decide that track building is for you, have a look at the Exactoscale chairs, they are pricey but in my humble opinion much better mouldings. (On the left)

post-18627-0-49499000-1406666759_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-83677000-1406666764_thumb.jpg

And for timbering I still think nothing beats timber!

post-18627-0-56955100-1406666762_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I know of a couple of  small RTR industrial locos to get you going.

Bad news Chris,

I took the Octavia up to book an MOT yesterday, and to get an opinion on the ominous knocking, which I thought was a clutch release bearing, looks like its a new dual mass flywheel, and clutch, which together with air-con pump-up, overdue service, brake pads, reversing sensor repairs, looks like 1k+, the damn thing's only 7 years old. (Still it has done 180k!) so it's bye bye Fowler.........ta -ta Hudswell Clarke.

Good news Chris,

When I got home from leaving my garage mans' pension plan behind for repairs, I met with my own pensions man, to see if I had to do anything in the tax year before my 'official' retirement date.

One of the pensions, a final salary scheme, which was assumed to get me 6k a year, turns out to have had some sort of index linking from when I left in 2001, so it's now 8k+, added to which I can take it early for a loss of 4% per annum.

As I'm not going to pay any tax on it this year or next, I am picking up on that option, so I shall start to get some income again in October, a year early. - Hello Fowler..........Hi Hudswell Clarke, what's a nice pair of loco's like you doing without an owner at Christmas time!

Guest Isambarduk

Well done, Peter220950. 

It's a strange old world isn't it - and welcome to retirement!  It's not all beer and skittles but it certainly beats working full-time .... and a little part-time/pick and choose work is nice if that fits in.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your Ixion Fowler and Hudswell Clarke even if you just open the boxes and play with them, rather than spending lots of time modifying them or making them into something else (now I can't think who would do that?  :-)

David

Well done, Peter220950. 

It's a strange old world isn't it - and welcome to retirement!  It's not all beer and skittles but it certainly beats working full-time .... and a little part-time/pick and choose work is nice if that fits in.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your Ixion Fowler and Hudswell Clarke even if you just open the boxes and play with them, rather than spending lots of time modifying them or making them into something else (now I can't think who would do that?  :-)

David

Thanks David,

I have been retired for two years but just haven't drawn down any of the pensions, as Annuity rates were so pathetic, which tends to deplete the bank balance a bit! Good job because of all the changes that are happening to pensions next April. By now I have reached that stage of 'couldn't do anything part time, I don't have the time.'

It will be nice to get some RTR loco's, to play with while I'm building all the other stuff I seem to have accumulated over the years. I thought buying it in advance it would mean modelling got cheaper in retirement, but every time I start something I find I need £50.00 worth of this and that to complete it - and I haven't dared open the boxes for the Blue Pullman, bogies, wheels, motors, chips, paint, transfers. - think it might have been cheaper to buy a Loveless set!  -  Not that it's particularly suited to an 8 foot layout.