A 'Quickie' out of doors - now Palin's Yard

peter220950

• RMweb Gold

The trip to the Bristol O Gauge show was a double edged sword, seeing Gordon and Maggie Gravett’s Arun Quay highlighted the massive gulf in ability between my efforts and theirs, and a bit like other offerings on the Forum it treads a very fine line between disheartening me and inspiring me, fortunately I was in a good mood, so it has inspired.

Frankly, Peter, this is bobbins. You seemed to suffer a similar loss of confidence at last years RMweb Taunton day, because there was another fine O Gauge layout nearby. Our hobby is not about competing, although voting for Best In Show might make it seem so. Your layout is engaging, innovative, utterly worthy. Be proud. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Superb work on the layout. I often wonder how many of the designs in books actually get built. I note you went to a show where Gordon G was also exhibiting - must be quite strange/rewarding for him to see one of his designs built up.

Oh and as Ian says, nothing to feel disheartened about. You have a superb looking layout and should be very proud of what you have created. And anyway, the main thing you should be seeking is enjoyment and personal satisfaction.

• Like 1

Hi Peter, I've just realised that this Layout was on my MUST SEE list for GETS, then I didn't get there in the end, so missed it. 

Some really superb Buildings and a really believable Layout, stunning workmanship as Chris and Ian have said above, and a Layout to be proud of.

I do hope to see it soon.

Wow, the last couple of days have seen some very kind words, much appreciated.

I'm feeling rather chuffed, the layout and loco's performed well today, and it seems to have been well received. I printed half a dozen sets of information for Exhibition Managers, and by lunchtime they had all gone, and I had to resort to bits of notebook with scribbled details. There seem to be about 8 invites in the offing, and a bit of arm twisting for an article for the Guild Gazette, so all in all a good day. The mirrored end seems to go down well, and I think I convinced a couple of people that polished stainless steel is the future.

Special thanks again for Mr Kleins excellent loco's, 6and Mr Chetters sounds, both make operating the layout a dream, not one finger poke all day, and only a couple of derailments, one from a junior visitor who had to try the switches on the control panel when I wasn't looking, and the other when I changed the points under a loco.

A couple of gratuious photos, of the set up, though they are getting a bit samey now.

post-18627-0-39223600-1518297768_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-95537000-1518297794_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-78807800-1518297820_thumb.jpg

Andy, it looks like it will be around a few shows over the next year or so, possibly Kettering next year and Warley hopefully, as well as half a dozen others I will have to think about. One day shows are nice, but '6 till '8 is a long day, and I'm still struggling to get set up and break down in less than a couple of hours - such are the problems of lots of buildings in separate boxes, maybe two bigger layout enclosures and permanently sited buildings, something to have a think about.

Thanks once again for the kind comments, I will get it unpacked tomorrow and plan out some improvements and developments before its next trip out to Weston Super Mare in September, where it can hopefully catch up with Gordon and Maggie Gravett at last, being on his doorstep.

First up will be some improvements to the hopper under the tippler, I fear that once again I left the Exhibition organisers with half a ton of nutty slack under the layout. And the experiment woth factory background sounds with MP3 players and speakers proved a total waste of time, there's too much background noise in an Exhibition. So the next experiment will be wafting the chocolate smell around, I have the smell, just need to get it blown around.

Peter

Edited by peter220950
  • Like 12

I had a lightening quick visit to the show yesterday. Layout looked good.

I sympathise with the set up and break-down times as I had separate buildings etc on my old layout Factory Lane Sidings. It was the only way I could fit things in the car though.

I didn't have the time to comment here until now, having read through this excellent thread and methods for most of last night it was certainly very, very enjoyable, thank you Peter.

I only hope that my proposed layout turns out as well  :banghead:

Grahame

• Like 1

Thanks John,

Robin e-mailed me yesterday and a start has already been made on an article for the Guild Gazette, it looks like the May edition is currently being sorted, so it might be next summer at the earliest before it sees the light of day.

It was encouraging to receive positive comments from you, and other visitors, there's already one firm Exhibition invite landed in the in box, thanks again for stopping by and chatting.

Peter

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

That's a fine layout you've got there Peter, I hope I get to see it in the flesh sometime. Appologies if I've missed it in the thread but how do you operate it, is it to any sequence and what's the plan like to operate? I'm interested as I've been looking at the plan in the 7mm modelling book for ages and want to builld my version albeit in 4mm scale.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Operation is limited it has to be said, if I were starting from scratch I would do it slightly differently, it's not too bad for Exhibitions where the audience moves on quite quickly, but for a home layout it would soon lose appeal.

What I have found is that the accidental inclusion of the tippler is of most interest, and for Exhibitions it's that which takes precedence, with trips in and out of the loading bay and the occassional lone wagon to the other loading deck.

I don't run any particular timetable and stock is limited to about three vans, two coal wagons, and a couple of internal user items, like a tank wagon and permanent way repair open wagon.

I don't really use the back hidden sidings as there is room on the turntable for a couple of 3 wagon trains.

Starting from scratch I would probably do away with the rear sidings altogether, or cut them down to one, and introduce one more siding on the front. The turntable is again more trouble than it's worth, a simple sector plate or sliding tray would be just as good.

The layout is going to Weston Super Mare in September, Didcot in October, Luton in April 2019, and provisionally Warley in 2020, if I'm spared!

Peter

• Like 1