Removing paint from track? Help needed

Hello, 

I've been weathering the track on my layout the last couple days and as I was going along I was wiping the rails with a wet cloth to get rid of any paint on the railhead but when I came to do a test run with a loco this evening, it wouldn't take power. I haven't got a track rubber, is there any household cleaning product I can use with a fresh cloth to remove any remaining paint residue from the rail so that the loco will take power? Thanks in advance! 

I found a pencil eraser will remove acrylic on the railhead, cleaning it at the same time. Not sure it would be effective on enamel. Obviously without the added grit of a track rubber, it needs a little more effort. The eraser will break up pretty quickly so stand by with the hoover. Pete.

Edit: If the paint residue is still visible, you could try a new Stanley blade at a very shallow angle to the railhead, but go gently.

I use the back of hardboard as my rail cleaner. Not yet found anything it won't shift off the rails, and that includes paint residue. Doesn't scratch the railhead, leaves minimal (easily removed) dust on the track. And of course it is FREE! as it is salvage from old furniture and the like, the greatest of all virtues to this tightwad.

Nail varnish remover from the pound shop on a piece of chamois leather  will remove paint quickly from the rail top and the inner of the rail top. Make sure there's no residue by finishing of with a piece of wood as mentioned above.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

For future reference.

EM Society track rubbers / cleaning blocks are excellent, non abrasive and don't break up too badly.

Never use abrasive rubbers / anything to clean track, it will make things worse over time.

http://www.emgs.org/images/stories/Price_List_32Ac_A4.pdf

Get yourself a few if you can

• RMweb Gold

I use an offcut of planed 2 x 1 timber to clean off dried paint. the sharp planed edge cuts through the paint without damaging the rail head, and the cut end of the grain works well on the sides of the rail.

Archived