Mainly Trains Winding Down

Quarryscapes

Its unfortunate to hear that Mainly Trains finally closed, but its not a surprise. I always had excellent service from them, and they were the only source for many parts and tools that I couldn't find here in the US. I also purchased a number of their wagon detailing etches throughout the years, which helped me complete multiple projects. The owner was always helpful, and friendly. I wonder if their etches and castings will become part of another range.

Its unfortunate to hear that Mainly Trains finally closed, but its not a surprise. I always had excellent service from them, and they were the only source for many parts and tools that I couldn't find here in the US. I also purchased a number of their wagon detailing etches throughout the years, which helped me complete multiple projects. The owner was always helpful, and friendly. I wonder if their etches and castings will become part of another range.

I was wondering exactly the same about their own range of etches and castings. Would be a shame if they disappeared like so many other similar items that are no longer available.

• RMweb Premium

I spoke to Gary at 247 about a year ago, and he was trying to buy the range, but sadly I haven't spoken to him since, and with the change in 247 ownership I wonder if this actually happened?

Andy G

My parents retired to Chandlers Ford,and upon visiting them and exploring the area I was amazed to come across the Mainly Trains emporium in the precinct.

I bought lots of stuff there,admittedly all r-t-r,and the service was always friendly and helpful.

All the best to the owners in their retirement.

• Like 1

I spoke to Gary at 247 about a year ago, and he was trying to buy the range, but sadly I haven't spoken to him since, and with the change in 247 ownership I wonder if this actually happened?

Andy G

Gary may have got the range

But if he did there were not in the sale of 247 to myself

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Re Mainly Trains closing and Dave Cleal taking a well earned retirement.

Amoung the MT Range were a good number of detail etches etc. Ranging from loco steps to grills to protect the glass on tank loco cabs, and wagon details such as the ironwork to detail a wooden wagon.solebar!

Can anybody advise if any other small parts supplier has.or can continue to provide the etches, 

Did Dave Cleal have the copyright, or do they still belong to Ian Rice?

Any positive confirmed information would be welcomed.

I'm sure I am not alone in hoping they can still be purchased??

Restoration Nut

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

It would be nice if somebody on here knows Dave and asks him what happened to the said etches.

Is there anybody?

Regrettably, an oft asked question hereabouts, always with the same (lack of) reply.

I knew once you got south of Bristol there is only a land of dragons, but to totally disappear of the face of the earth is quite an achievement.

Presumably, those in the know don't frequent RMWeb?

Mike.

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone, 

I'm Dave Cleal, son of the Dave Cleal of Mainly Trains. Sadly my Father died in January 2017, after living with cancer for ten years. I'm pleased to say that we've reached an agreement with Andrew Hartshorne of Wizard Models who's bought the rights to the Mainly Trains products from the family. We are very happy that the range has a future.

• Like 1