Freemo 2015

Ok - here we go again!

After the roaring success of this year's event there will be another one in September 2015 - Saturday and Sunday 26th and 27th to be precise.

From this year's experience, it is apparent that even if all the modules that came this year came again next year, there is still a huge amount of space for more modules.

So, there's almost 14 months, approximately 60 weeks, more than 420 days to get something built for next year.

Get those design hats on, get the tools out and start nailing bits of wood together and lets make it bigger and better than this year!

• RMweb Gold

The roster clerk is gonna love getting a September 2015 holiday form! ;)

Are the standards the same or can we play with them too? post-6968-0-77793600-1406657511.jpg :devil:

, there is still a huge amount of space for more modules.

Or tables full of food of course  . . .

Given the rate it takes me to build anything I've made a start on my contribution to next years event!

No name a yet but the intented prototype location will be Chicagoland with two rail served industries - corn syrup on the twin tracks in the foreground and recycling (aka scrap metal) on the single spur in the background. 

Some may notice that the boards seem a tad wide - this is because they are build to the standard used by Seaboard Southern which diverges from the NMRA std in having 24" width modules. With this difference in mind the group have under construction a pair of 24" to 18" 2 ft long scenic converter boards 

More pics to follow once my wiring minion has done the electricals for me! :sungum:

Dan

post-9070-0-74926200-1406723592_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The weekend is in our diary so will be back there with Fort Myers and what ever extensions etc I can do some time next year. Maybe add extra boards in the yard or widen the juice factory or even some plain track modules plus a couple of converter boards to get from my standard 20" boards to Freemo 18" wide boards.

I just wish that I could do the Exeter meet aswell in Jan 2015 but that weekend is already allocated.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

A bit of an update on the "modules with no name from Seaboard Southern"...

It came to pass that the wiring pixies did visit the Seaboard Southern clubrooms and lo much cutting, stripping and soldering did take place.......

Back in the real work a big thanks to fellow Seaboarder Graham Charman for helping me out with the wiring installed on my two modules to date. This has all be done to our group spec which is v v close to the NMRABR spec. The top pair of bus wires are the accessory bus and the middle and bottom pairs are both track buses. The middle bus powers the single track main while the bottom bus is for the two industrial spurs which would allow easy installation of power district circuitry is required.  

Next to come will be fixing down the Green earth bus as well as the control bus (as soon as the bits arrive in the post). Then installation and wring for the 3 Tortoise motors and accesory decoder.

post-9070-0-51662300-1407767703_thumb.jpg

post-9070-0-63358500-1407767725_thumb.jpg

Dan

Hi guys, I would be very interested in attending this next year, I am getting into American and would love to build a number of boards for next year. I am based in Ireland and am trying to start a Fremo over here. Has anyone got more information on next years event.

Many thanks,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys, I would be very interested in attending this next year, I am getting into American and would love to build a number of boards for next year. I am based in Ireland and am trying to start a Fremo over here. Has anyone got more information on next years event.

Location details on page 1 and standards etc as you go through ;)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73182-freemo-extravaganza/

So - Location is Armitage village hall, in Staffs. Cost, the last one ended up about £16 each (shared costs of insurance, hall, food) from memory. As well as a nice layout to operate on, we also had an RPM table and a bring-and-buy table.

Modules welcome to either the RS Tower spec:

http://rstowerfreemo.wordpress.com/module-info/module-specifications/

Or the compatible NMRA-BR version.

http://www.nmrabr.org.uk/nmra-ho-modules-spec

Martyn

So - Location is Armitage village hall, in Staffs. Cost, the last one ended up about £16 each (shared costs of insurance, hall, food) from memory. As well as a nice layout to operate on, we also had an RPM table and a bring-and-buy table.

Modules welcome to either the RS Tower spec:

http://rstowerfreemo.wordpress.com/module-info/module-specifications/

Or the compatible NMRA-BR version.

Martyn

Great thanks Martyn, I have a bit of a journey ahead of me to get there from Ireland but looking forward to it. I plan to build 4 modules as I am also building 6 modules for the Irish Fremo. I'll be a busy boy!

• 3 weeks later...

There has bee some talk about setting up a Freemo group based in the Midlands.

Some of you already know so this is a reminder; for those that don't this is an invitation: there is a meeting to discuss how we could get it off the ground next Thursday 4th Sept at 6.30pm at Armitage Village Hall (WS15 4UZ) .

All welcome but please let me know if you intend to come so I have a handle on how many are likley to be there.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well in an unusual occurrence I've got on with something before the last four weeks :) My three MKT locos now decoder equipped. Just need to find my led stash and get the lights wired up too.

On the modular front once the local show I'm finishing the OO layout for is out of the way I'll build the new module space out my switching yard and do a bit more scenically to the two basic modules I did for this years event.

I have the track to make a scenic module, but am not confident enough to build a module to Freemo standards - too precise for my... incredibly poor woodworking skills.

Does anyone know of anywhere that makes Freemo module baseboard kits? Maybe I could look into that?

• RMweb Gold

Yes the more the merrier is definitely true, with or without a module. Any baseboard kit that matches the width and end depth will be ok as you then just need legs cut to the length with adjustable feet screwed on ;) A local timber yard or B&Q can also cut the board to size, often for free, meaning you only then need to cut the timber for the frame to length using a mitre box to keep it all at 90°.

Alternatively see if there's another member here local to you, where are you? who can help take you through it. A saw, mitre box, drill and screwdriver are all you need. (Quite a lot of saws can be used as a 90° square to mark up the cuts as the blade top is set to that angle deliberately with the plastic handle moulding).

How is Sam's module coming along? And will Tim's be ready for a first outing? :)

• RMweb Gold

I have the track to make a scenic module, but am not confident enough to build a module to Freemo standards - too precise for my... incredibly poor woodworking skills.

Does anyone know of anywhere that makes Freemo module baseboard kits? Maybe I could look into that?

Dan

I reckon that you can build something if you have the time as its all pretty simple stuff.

Modules are alighned by using clamps so no worries about having to get the alignment exact. Fort Myers wasn't built as a freemo module and had never been connected up till the day. I added extra blocks of timber ot the legs to get to roughly the correct height and fitted adjustable feet so any slightly out of vertical alignment can be adjusted using these.

There were a few unfinished boards at the last meet that were quite happliy connected up and used.

• RMweb Gold

Yeah - any updates people?

No changes to Fort Myers since the last meet although toying whether ot modify the factory boards but that would mean the layout would have to go at the end of the whole set up.

Plenty of time and another layout to finish before I think of that too much!!

Archived