Freemo 2015

As someone who is only bringing rolling stock and being a general dogs body for the day, I find this setup plan an equal mix of daunting, amazing, and embarrassing (in that I'll be helping to set it up, and I'll get to run trains on it, but I won't be able to bring a module!)

Hopefully next year will see me with a module I can bring. :)

Not any need to be embarrassed Dan, we had plenty of folk who didn't bring one last year and have come back this year with one (or in some cases more than one!)

(We just need to get Nick to convince them to extend the hall...  :jester:)

This might be a pointless suggestion, but how's about turning the whole thing 90 degrees to the right, to give more space in front of the kitchen counter...? Just a thought.

Dunno - what do others attending think?

More space by the catering would be good, the benefit of the setup as drawn is that all the long aisles will take you (more or less) towards a fire exit.

I think the layout build helped there as an ice breaker and by the time we were ready to run everyone was relaxed. It was always sold as come along and have a go and Martyn and Peter did a great job on explaining the train lists and answering questions.

I think the distances involved and that most of us are returning prove how well it went and I'm looking forward to the social side just as much :)

There's also the fact that the layout is new to everyone, every time. Even if you brought a module, and knew the best way to switch it, your engineer/conductor duties might never take you to it! I think with the size of the setup this year there is going to be a lot of map reading and running ahead to reconnoitre the route.

• RMweb Gold

There's also the fact that the layout is new to everyone, every time. Even if you brought a module, and knew the best way to switch it, your engineer/conductor duties might never take you to it! I think with the size of the setup this year there is going to be a lot of map reading and running ahead to reconnoitre the route.

Can we get this plan onto google maps so we can navigate round it with our smartphones :sungum:

Yep.

One of the feedbacks from the smaller do at Christmas was to do better with our mapping as well, as it's easy to get confused when there's junctions in close proximity - something else on the to do list! 

• RMweb Gold

Just annotating the plan above with clear names would be sufficient. I'll happily print off some to save Martyn's printer so we have a pile to distribute.

Bring a pen and kadee uncoupler/ bbq skewer too if you can ;)

Oh and can all module owners stick a printed name on each side of ones with sidings?

I could print and laminate a pile of module names if that would help to stick on on the day?

• RMweb Gold

Just annotating the plan above with clear names would be sufficient. I'll happily print off some to save Martyn's printer so we have a pile to distribute.

Bring a pen and kadee uncoupler/ bbq skewer too if you can ;)

Oh and can all module owners stick a printed name on each side of ones with sidings?

I could print and laminate a pile of module names if that would help to stick on on the day?

The sidings are marked on JMRI track plan for Fort Myers but yes thats a good idea as will be easier to see . I will try to do the same. Might even put the Florida flag up if we are the only Florida module.

Another option might be to laminate an A3 print on both sides of the layout name and put that up on a pole - will look into that.

Regarding the moving 90 degrees to make more space for catering....

I'd rather the aisles point to fire exits - I'd rather struggle to get food than struggle to get out safely in the event of a fire! :D

If anyone needs anything printing out I can do it at work without any issues. :)

The sidings are marked on JMRI track plan for Fort Myers but yes thats a good idea as will be easier to see . I will try to do the same. Might even put the Florida flag up if we are the only Florida module.

Another option might be to laminate an A3 print on both sides of the layout name and put that up on a pole - will look into that.

I think Highland Palms is also Florida, but then this is Freemo so it could be anywhere.

Another option might be to name each branchline from a junction as a sub-division, or would this add an extra level of confusion...?

Ian-just read an e-mail from you regarding a Sound-fitted reefer, I'm assuming it's an Athearn 57'...? If so I can drop one of my cars and add yours to the list as I have spots for three Reefers.

• RMweb Gold

I think Highland Palms is also Florida, but then this is Freemo so it could be anywhere.

Another option might be to name each branchline from a junction as a sub-division, or would this add an extra level of confusion...?

Ian-just read an e-mail from you regarding a Sound-fitted reefer, I'm assuming it's an Athearn 57'...? If so I can drop one of my cars and add yours to the list as I have spots for three Reefers.

Yes it is and you are welcome to do so. I will try and dig it out so I can pass on the reporting markings etc. Hoping to weather it in the next few days.

Athearn now do sound fitted ones in N scale so I am on the look out for them going at reasonable prices when at the convention in Portland.

I think on that part of the layout you will go from Florida (Fort Myers) to So-Cal (Two Bridges Jcn) via Canada (Blind River)....

What, you wanted it to make sense geographically as well?  :scratchhead: :O :stinker:  

(Wait till you see VIA's new service to Florida!)  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

I think on that part of the layout you will go from Florida (Fort Myers) to So-Cal (Two Bridges Jcn) via Canada (Blind River)....

What, you wanted it to make sense geographically as well?  :scratchhead: :O :stinker:  

(Wait till you see VIA's new service to Florida!)  :jester:

In that case I might just get a F59PHi Surfiner loco to haul the Tri Rail coaches with a Bombardier GO cab car on the other end :sungum:

(We just need to get Nick to convince them to extend the hall...  :jester:)

Hmm.... that might be difficult. it has been suggested we use the rest of the venue. I don't see why in future we couldn't use one set of doors from the main room as access and one set for modules.

Anyway, that's next year at least. Let's concentrate on this year...

I'm delighted to see the level of interest generated for this year - those returning and newbies. Should be good! :yes:

Come anyway. I'd not really used DCC in anger before last time and soon got the hang of it. All you really need to know is how speed up, slow down and change direction, someone will be sure to be able to select locos etc for you if needed.

• RMweb Gold

I have had a number of people give me a hand recently at shows who hadnt either used DCC or at least the Digitrax system especially the DT400 throttle which has a whole host of buttons but they picked it up very easily.

Freemo uses a different system (Lenz - and probably  simpler )  but its very easy and generally once you have a loco selected thats the one you will be using for the whole of that turn so you only need to know how to change speed and direction plus any sound functions should the loco have any but you dont even have to use those if you dont wish to.

I have a couple of DCC ready locomotives I believe....

Rob, it's not necessarily a case of whether you have DCC locos or whatever. The whole essence is spending time operating a large layout, larger than any of us would have room for at home, in a prototypical way. As long as you're prepared to help set up etc it doesn't matter whether you contribute equipment.

Come along and see what you think. I would be very surprised if you went away disappointed.

And the same goes for anybody else..... (just let me know you're coming so I can keep on top of numbers!!)

You'd be very welcome - as Tim and Ian say it's not too hard to pick up the basics (Go faster, go slower, change direction - and a button each for horn and bell if it's a noisy one!) - we usually use two person crews for road freights as well so if we can pair you with somebody who can assist if that helps?

Ref loco's - as Nick says, no panic if you don't get one DCC fitted (though you're welcome to bring one if you did) - we'll have more than enough loco's between us that you can use!

• RMweb Gold

I handed Tim the controller last year and it took seconds to explain,

Tap in number , press enter, select direction and slide thumb up and down the throttle!

It really is that simple and there's no pressure. If others catch up and seem impatient just put the train in a siding and have a cuppa while they shunt, or get them to ;)

• RMweb Gold

Went on a safety day today about a dangerous goods incident simulation.

"What do you do once it's all made safe?"

5 Signalmen answer in Union, "step back, put the kettle on and think!"

It may be a cliche but it's a blummin good way to work safely ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Whilst I ave yet to get Fort Myers out from its stored location to check and test, this Athearn sound fitted refer has had a some weathering on it. 

The roof still needs doing and a few bits of touching up. The weathering has been carried out after looking at photos of these amonst a train as my close up shots were taken before they were patched and with fresh paint back in the early 1990's.

The sound of the refrigerator unit is automatic so it will come on and go off on its own, so be prepared if you suddelny hear an unexpected noise from your manifest or siding spot.

post-1557-0-65151600-1439453266_thumb.jpg

Chris G and I spent yesterday making up some 45 degree "filler" curves.

Not self supporting, they are dsigned to clamp to adjacent normal modules.

post-6943-0-66012800-1439634543_thumb.jpg

post-6943-0-92536300-1439634559_thumb.jpg

The sides are to prevent stock from falliong off!

Just need to add track and scenery....

Archived