Freemo 2015

I really like this imposing spot and hoping to use a similar idea on my link span to my yard. Thanks to Andy for the ideas.

Perhaps a bit too imposing...? I'd already cut it down and although some of these buildings are quite big, it didn't quite fit in with its surroundings. Also, if I had that time again, I'd leave a bigger gap between the road and the spur, as there isn't space for poles and road signs. Just a thought...

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps a bit too imposing...? I'd already cut it down and although some of these buildings are quite big, it didn't quite fit in with its surroundings. Also, if I had that time again, I'd leave a bigger gap between the road and the spur, as there isn't space for poles and road signs. Just a thought...

Depends as it can represent a really big factory so the scale was ok I thought, I was considering a bit of street running using a flat picture for shop fronts or something similar to yours with a slightly lower building.

I've been tempted to do a bit of street running on a module, and I still might all things considered.

Perhaps work on 4 modules - two 8x1, and two 45 degree curves, so they can be combined in various ways to make an L shaped street running section.

Depends on what is needed for the Midlands group I guess. :)

Perhaps work on 4 modules - two 8x1, and two 45 degree curves, so they can be combined in various ways to make an L shaped street running section.

Curves are always good, layout designers with square rooms like it when people build modules with curves. ;)

I've been tempted to do a bit of street running on a module, and I still might all things considered.

Can you try to make sure that everything between the rails is below rail height...? Apologies to anyone caught out on the BARTOW job, the section passed testing at home and problems I thought might crop up were fine, but a combination of heavier trains and new motive power caused some locos to ground out. There wasn't a lot I could do to fix it either as sanding the top surface back would have created dust, although the situation was improved by dropping the centre baseboard joint by a mil or so.

As you've probably worked out, the key is to have an authentic looking lead into and out of the street, but once that us done, can add a whole number of modules in the middle. Quite tricky when most prototypes are flat and built on a grid system...

Also, whoever the owner/builder of FX Junction is, PLEASE start a thread on the build of this module.  Very curious to see what direction you go with scenery on it.  

Hi Jason, it's TallTim from up-thread - he does have a thread on it here:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74568-lake-freemo-module-build-thread/page-2

Can you try to make sure that everything between the rails is below rail height...? Apologies to anyone caught out on the BARTOW job, the section passed testing at home and problems I thought might crop up were fine, but a combination of heavier trains and new motive power caused some locos to ground out. There wasn't a lot I could do to fix it either as sanding the top surface back would have created dust, although the situation was improved by dropping the centre baseboard joint by a mil or so.

As you've probably worked out, the key is to have an authentic looking lead into and out of the street, but once that us done, can add a whole number of modules in the middle. Quite tricky when most prototypes are flat and built on a grid system...

Locos were only bottoming out on the point where the boards joined on a diagonal - I think there was just a tiny, tiny twist to the joint due to the board heights and it was causing issues.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit late posting here, sorry.. As everyone else said - it was a great weekend.. first time for me and thoroughly enjoyed it.. spent most of my 'working' time in the Yard, but got to take a couple of trains out over the weekend, swapping roles for each run. Thanks to all the planners and facilitators and especially the better halves for looking after us so well :-) I posted a video/slideshow too - it is here - https://youtu.be/nG5gkvKRF-E

• RMweb Gold

And Richard covered all of it with the Saturday night siding switcher special ;)

Do you know the dimensions of the hall? We had a roughly 3ft walkway on three sides and a bit more on the Fort Myers side so I'm guessing 40 ish feet?

• RMweb Gold

That's what worries me about Nicks comment, I might get tempted and literally no more will fit in the car! King Coal was in the passenger seat!!!

Anyway I might have to try and sneak this one on to a directors special next year, got 6 Pennsy streamline coaches would look soooo good behind this . . . . ;)

post-6968-0-56410500-1444407565.jpg

Northpoint, on 09 Oct 2015 - 15:36, said:

Hopefully even bigger next year.

By the way - dates for next year:

Saturday and Sunday 24/25th September 2016.

I hope that was big enough for everyone to see and put in their diaries!

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Clashes with Borefts. :cray_mini:

Archived