Freemo 2015

If you lay track through the large doors of the hall, (and they may be fire doors, of course), then you will block the corridor, and/or the toilet accss - worse still, you might block the door to the kitchen, (dark thoughts)!

There's a hatch to the kitchen so we'd be fine. Sure the kitchen crew wouldn't be able to get out again, but that's a small price to pay, and i'm sure you'll all join me in saluting their sacrifice. (Okay, that's me in trouble...)  :jester: 

Seriously, i'm not planning to go through the doors this year, we'd have to look at all the kinds of issues that have been mentioned very carefully, and also have a far more detailed plan of those other bits of building than i'm working with at present (which is basically a nice easy 50' square!)

Have to say I really like Andy's train ferry idea as a way to connect the remote rooms though! How cool would that be!  :sungum: 

Keeping you all up to date, I have managed to do a plan with all the modules into the room, but i'm not happy with it yet (too complicated operationally/assets in the wrong place/pinch points in unfortunate places) so i'll keep working on it. :mail: 

We do have the option of putting some of the ancillary bits (bring and buy for example) in other parts of the building if we can't fit a table for them in the main hall, that gives us *some* flexibility with the space without doing anything drastic (yet...) 

• RMweb Gold

Just put the train ferry on a trolley with castors at the 45" height, all you need is a prototypical ramp to allow for 'tides' ;)

It could double up as a refreshment trolley :)

Edit:

Here we go, just add a flat deck on top of the handles . . .

post-6968-0-54406400-1437475734.jpg

Just put the train ferry on a trolley with castors at the 45" height, all you need is a prototypical ramp to allow for 'tides' ;)

Edit:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Paul - is that your contribution to the catering?

• RMweb Gold

Edit:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That won't last five minutes with us around!

The one point I'm missing is "domestic in nature", the place where to put coats and where to (un)pack trains (for putting them on or taking them off the layout). Especially the latter will make a real mess quickly of an otherwise neat and tidy setup ;)

There are two other rooms in the building that can be used for things like that

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who is only bringing rolling stock and being a general dogs body for the day, I find this setup plan an equal mix of daunting, amazing, and embarrassing (in that I'll be helping to set it up, and I'll get to run trains on it, but I won't be able to bring a module!)

Hopefully next year will see me with a module I can bring. :)

• RMweb Gold

Yes it is daunting but that will drop away fast I assure you. There's no hurry you just do it at your pace. Tim and I crewed up as a team and were enjoying ourselves in minutes despite not doing it before. Even getting it wrong is fun as you have to sort it out ;)

I managed to cover every bit of the layout last year but I doubt I'll manage that this time unless I go all out and part of the fun is having breaks between jobs watching the others and enjoying the modelling.

Oh and food!

Yes it is daunting but that will drop away fast I assure you. There's no hurry you just do it at your pace. Tim and I crewed up as a team and were enjoying ourselves in minutes despite not doing it before

Or having met each other before.

• RMweb Gold

I think the layout build helped there as an ice breaker and by the time we were ready to run everyone was relaxed. It was always sold as come along and have a go and Martyn and Peter did a great job on explaining the train lists and answering questions.

I think the distances involved and that most of us are returning prove how well it went and I'm looking forward to the social side just as much :)

Archived