59003 Coming Home

• RMweb Gold

I've noticed the drivers getting out the cab and pressing something to turn on the crossing lights.  They have installed new lights and barriers just further down now near the EWS hut.  Seems a bit of a waste having this just shuttling from the docks to Tuebrook though Jim.  How would a 59 handle these trains in relation to a 66?  Have you encountered any problems getting out of the docks when you have been down there?  I believe its some incline.  It's the only 59 I've seen!  If the rumor about Colas having 10 new Class 70's Jim maybe you will have the job of collecting them again and get chance to see 59003!!

i got stuck with a 66 between the docks and bootle jn, ended up filling my hard hat with sand and pouring it onto the rail for a few hundred yards, got it moving again, took 45 mins to do 100m though

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Is that why they have the hard hats painted on the sides? ;)

it was actually 66725 in gbrf livery, pre colas days for me! i knew i would be in trouble as the class 60 in front also slipped to a stand

Edited by big jim

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all,

If a 60 slipped to a stand then a 59 would do the same? The tractive effort of a 60 is higher than a 59, as the electronics takes control to eliminate wheel slip.

Regards

Vin

The maximum TE on a 59 is a little higher than a 60 but if the rail head is poor enough, you'll have problems anyway.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just seen a video of 59003 being used to try and haul the wedged in middle coach of the SWR 159 out of Fisherton Tunnel.

Seems the plan was to attach a chain and then gun the engine full boar in the opposite direction.

Didn't look like it worked, she is going to need some repairs after that effort...

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Just seen a video of 59003 being used to try and haul the wedged in middle coach of the SWR 159 out of Fisherton Tunnel.

Seems the plan was to attach a chain and then gun the engine full boar in the opposite direction.

Didn't look like it worked, she is going to need some repairs after that effort...

Seen posts on facebook that it did get the carriages out. Or did it only get some out and broke something?

• RMweb Premium

If that cable had snapped or the coach had suddenly popped out like a cork from a champagne bottle, there could have been carnage.  I am absolutely gobsmacked watching that!!!

• Agree 7

In fairness to the somewhat redneck effort it would have been fairly safe if the orange army had all stayed a safe distance away.  I can't believe there's a BTP officer stood there filming with them rather than all staying out of the way, just put it on a tripod.

The irony being that if they didn't stand there filming it then we wouldn't know and wouldn't be grumbling.

Presumably the line will be shut for a week or two now while they try to carefully chop up the 159 in situ without it suddenly dropping?

• Agree 1

I'm not an expert on these things, but what alternative method of getting the carriages out of the tunnel are available? Generally you have to pull a blockage out of a tube one way or the other, and a loco with lots of tractive effort and wheel slip control available seems like quite a good tool to use.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

People are critical of the method of removing the units from the tunnel, but it's similar to a recovery operation I watched years ago when a rake of HAAs had piled up under the bridge at Trowell near Nottingham.

A  fairly new, at the time, 58 was tried without success as it's electronic wheelspin controls kept reducing the power. Enter a pair of 20s, hook them on, open up and wagons came out quite easily, sheer brute force and ingnorance!

How else are these things supposed to be moved? Trying to lift them in such a restricted space is impossible and fraught with risk to anyone supervising the operation, you can't remove the tunnel roof so dragging them clear is the only option.

I'll agree that some onlookers may have been a little closer than might be wise but I doubt the loco would have shot forwards suddenly for any distance, the driver being very aware of that possibility, if the strap had broken.

Think of it in model terms, you have a tunnel or even a bridge on your highly detailed scenic layout, which is a permanent part of that layout. A prized kit built coach is derailed and stuck under the structure. 

What to do? Do you, as carefully as possible, drag the coach from under the obstruction and accept a certain amount of collateral damage to that one vehicle or set to with knives, saws, hammer and chisel (as appropriate) and totally destroy the surrounding scenery??

• Agree 1

Not sure if the 59 is still there but it looks like they are still using the same method to drag the damaged vehicles out of the tunnel to where the Kirow rail crane can get at them

Photo of the leading car of the 159 outside the tunnel suggest it was dragged back by a loco as the same chain/rope is attached to the coupler that was used on the centre car. It’s pretty well mixed up ballast / track, running gear and mechanicals. The Kirow crane is then seen righting it to move to the road crane and then once on the low loader.

1 hour ago, Zomboid said:

I'm not an expert on these things, but what alternative method of getting the carriages out of the tunnel are available? 

No one ever heard of a winch?  I would expect that it would be part of the standard kit of a traditional break down train, and of course you need something quite substantial to anchor it to, but there is far greater control and you can get as much pulling power as you need with sufficient pulley blocks. I believe this was the method used to recover 50041 when it ended up on its side under Bishops Bridge near Paddington, and had to be dragged out before it could be lifted.

Edited by Titan
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Titan said:

No one ever heard of a winch?  I would expect that it would be part of the standard kit of a traditional break down train, and of course you need something quite substantial to anchor it to, but there is far greater control and you can get as much pulling power as you need with sufficient pulley blocks. I believe this was the method used to recover 50041 when it ended up on its side under Bishops Bridge near Paddington, and had to be dragged out before it could be lifted.

Exactly. Not particularly bothered about the units but I dread to think of the damage to the tunnel lining by pulling it out like something out of the dukes of hazzard.

• Agree 1