Chris-GNR Workbench

Evening....

Here is the Q1 laid out in its current sub assemblies. 

post-19016-0-54372600-1517167202_thumb.jpg

post-19016-0-10665300-1517167222_thumb.jpg

Both the smoke box & boiler have a turned slug of mild steel to act as ballast for the loco. To even out the balance of weight over the four axles the tender will be weighted & hang on the drawbar of the loco. The firebox is currently just a shell but once I trial fit the motor & gear box assembly i'll be able to see what if any available space there is in there for some more ballast.

The smokebox, 2x discs (that give the step down from smokebox to boiler) boiler & firebox all bolt to one another through their end profile formers using 10BA bolts into captive 10BA nuts in the corresponding part. This assembly then bolts to the to the front cab sheet again using two 10BA bolts & captain nuts with a thin half etch sheet giving the rivet detail around the cab sheet/firebox joint (this component will for final assembly be soldered to the front cab sheet). The other fixing is the underside of the smokebox another captive 10BA nut to accept a bolt through the chassis & running plate.

In my last session at the bench i was able to cure a tight spot in the chassis. I had been putting this down to having not fully quartered the wheels but after spending an un-reasonable amount of time trying to rectify the tight spot via altering the quartering & getting nowhere I decided to go back to basics. I reamed out all the horn blocks/bearings with an 1/8' reamer & polished up all the bearing faces & ensured a good fit on all the horn blocks & horn guides. The rods, crank pins & bushes had already received this treatment during 'Quartering Gate' earlier that evening. I'm happy to report that after this the chassis is running very sweetly with no tight spot to speak of.

Other things that has been done is the brake cylinders & the arrangements between them & the pull rods

(since taking the photo the soldering has been cleaned up).

post-19016-0-20912000-1517169074_thumb.jpg

post-19016-0-91070300-1517169081_thumb.jpg

Regards actual progress on the Q1 the back head assembly is where i'm up to. Nine layers of nickel silver stacked on to one another with alignment rods of 0.5mm wire in place & a couple of clips holding it all together generous amounts of solder was applied around the edges sweating he whole thing together. The lower layers have various cuts outs to allow for the bolt heads fixing the firebox to the cab front.

post-19016-0-52757300-1517168664_thumb.jpg

post-19016-0-34471200-1517168689_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now...

Chris

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon all...

Not sure if this is considered bad form but here is a link to a few bits I’ve listed on eBay that might be of interest to some.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/chris.diy/m.html?item=232672254943&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

These are all things I either have duplicates of or in reality I’m never going to build.

If anyone is unhappy I’ll remove the link.

Cheers

Chris

Afternoon all...

Not sure if this is considered bad form but here is a link to a few bits I’ve listed on eBay that might be of interest to some.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/chris.diy/m.html?item=232672254943&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

These are all things I either have duplicates of or in reality I’m never going to build.

If anyone is unhappy I’ll remove the link.

Cheers

Chris

Looks like you'll be rich.

Don't you just love it when people bid more for an item than they would have to pay for a brand new one (LNWR Carriage truck).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Evening

As ever apologies for the lack of updates & all that.

Here are a few pics of the Q1 as it currently stands.

post-19016-0-41691900-1523221885_thumb.jpeg

post-19016-0-32791100-1523221900_thumb.jpeg

post-19016-0-86021000-1523221924_thumb.jpeg

post-19016-0-06993000-1523221945_thumb.jpeg

All work regards proving that the etches are correct is now complete & the few minor things that cropped up have been rectified in the art work & instuctions by Frank. As I understand it the kit is due to be released in September at EM North through London Road Models.

Not a lot left to do on it now before the loco is complete. It needs a safety valve cover which I plan to get from London Road Models at Scalefour North at the weekend, fit shorting strips to the wheels & axles on one side of the loco for the ‘American Pickup’ system that’s being used on this build & I’m planning to turn my own smoke box door the cast w/m one I have isn’t bad but I’ve had success in making one on a previous build so I want to give it another bash for the Q1. Oh yeah & a tender. I have that already it just needs building. I’m sure there will be a load of other little jobs left to do before paint but the above are the main things I can think of right now.

Cheers for now.

Chris

• Like 6

Evening

attachicon.gif92C2BC71-4BB1-44ED-A105-0C183F61C4A8.jpeg

attachicon.gif896ED6DC-0C1E-40B9-B47C-9DFDAE60388F.jpeg

attachicon.gif588E6203-15B3-4B2E-B149-D4EB458CFE62.jpeg

attachicon.gif4F0D7460-245D-4946-8466-845F1E438DA0.jpeg

All work regards proving that the etches are correct is now complete & the few minor things that cropped up have been rectified in the art work & instuctions by Frank. As I understand it the kit is due to be released in September at EM North through London Road Models.

Not a lot left to do on it now before the loco is complete. It needs a safety valve cover which I plan to get from London Road Models at Scalefour North at the weekend, fit shorting strips to the wheels & axles on one side of the loco for the ‘American Pickup’ system that’s being used on this build & I’m planning to turn my own smoke box door the cast w/m one I have isn’t bad but I’ve had success in making one on a previous build so I want to give it another bash for the Q1. Oh yeah & a tender. I have that already it just needs building. I’m sure there will be a load of other little jobs left to do before paint but the above are the main things I can think of right now.

Cheers for now.

Chris

Many thanks to you Chris for undertaking the test build of the Q1 etches for me. You have done a brilliant job of it and I hope you have enjoyed the build despite the challenges I unintentionally threw at you from time to time. I look forward to seeing it completed in due course and running but in the meantime I can work with John Redrup to get this into production.

Can you send me those pictures please? Which day will you be at Scaleforum?

Regards,

Frank

Many thanks to you Chris for undertaking the test build of the Q1 etches for me. You have done a brilliant job of it and I hope you have enjoyed the build despite the challenges I unintentionally threw at you from time to time. I look forward to seeing it completed in due course and running but in the meantime I can work with John Redrup to get this into production.

Can you send me those pictures please? Which day will you be at Scaleforum?

Regards,

Frank

Thank you Frank, to kind to kind.

The build has been very enjoyable with only a few very minor head scratching moments all soon rectified with a quick chat with Frank & the offending component then tweeked accordingly. Truth be told I feel honoured you asked me to carry out the test build.

Totally forgot about scanning those pics & sending them over. I’ll do it after work tomorrow if that’s ok.

Planning to be at Scalefour North on Saturday morning.

Cheers

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Evening

attachicon.gif92C2BC71-4BB1-44ED-A105-0C183F61C4A8.jpeg

attachicon.gif896ED6DC-0C1E-40B9-B47C-9DFDAE60388F.jpeg

attachicon.gif588E6203-15B3-4B2E-B149-D4EB458CFE62.jpeg

attachicon.gif4F0D7460-245D-4946-8466-845F1E438DA0.jpeg

Cheers for now.

Chris

Doesn't need a tender Chris, it's electric, I can see the extension lead  :scratchhead:

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...