Kernow OO gauge PBA Clay Tiger hopper

DJM Dave

I can find plenty of photographs of the white PBAs as a single wagon or a pair of wagons in freight consists but such use seems rarer once they were refurbed as JIAs in blue Tiphook livery.

Can anybody point me to photos showing that they still worked as wagonloads in the later livery or were they then mainly used in block formations?

I've seen the Rail Express article and it doesn't specifically mention later individual use.

Thanks,

Chris

JIA 337093820732 on 25th July 1996.  At Wembley in Tiphook Rail blue with ECC branding

post-2484-0-18936500-1503340560_thumb.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55938574@N03/23188126881/

• Like 3

That's very helpful, thank you.

I wonder if the wagon shown was in use through the Channel Tunnel as mentioned in the Rail Express article as the photo is taken at Wembley?

Chris

Almost certainly, though, as it's solitary, I suspect it may have been green-carded. These wagons tended to cross the Channel in small groups towards the end; perhaps half-a-dozen mixed Tiger and new-build wagons. I encountered one at the wagon-shops at Lille Deliverance yard one day.

Had my JIA's turn up.  Generally they are a nice wagon, with a few little niggles.  Tiphook Rail, the 'l' goes lower than the rest of the letters, and Tiphook Rail is centralised, where looking at photos it should be slightly more towards the ECC Intl (you can workout the position with respect to the bodyside ribs).  I also note in the photo above from The Bigbee Line, at least one had Tiphook in the opposite corner to the ECC Intl - that would have been a nice variation.  Some fine printing, but can slightly smudgy/fuzzy compared to other manufacturers (particularly the Danger Live Wires), whilst one piece of lettering on the solebar is represented by a few black lines.  Unloading ratchet handles, left blue as opposed to red in most photos I have seen.   I am glad to see the handbrake wheel, is white, as opposed to blue on the samples.

On the whole, the wagons do look good, and I am sure they will look good behind a Class 60 or Class 66, but they could have had a bit better livery application.  As said before, livery application does tend to let DJ Models products down a little in my view.  

Regards. 

• Like 1

It is enough too isn't it - for what it's worth I have the four pristine versions and I am entirely happy with them !

I'm happy with them too- like I said twice, they are nice and will look good behind a Class 60 or Class 66.  I have just pointed what I noticed pretty much straightaway, and having seen a magazine review since, they pretty much say the same, a nice model but slight issue with livery application.  I certainly wouldn't go and make a JIA/PBA kit, but at 44.99 we are talking a pretty much high end of the market model, and usually printing is nailed to a "T", with reviews often stating "even the writing on xxxx is legible under a magnifying glass".

• 2 weeks later...

Could anyone tell me how long these models are please ? Couldn't see any dimensions on KMRC

Thanks

they're surprisingly long ... haven't got mine to hand but is there not a video on the Kernow website of one going around with a Class 37? Off the top of my head I'd think they're probably a similar length give or take a couple of centimeters

My EX works white model arrived today. Just waiting for a weathered version now. My god these things are long! Beautifully detailed and looks spot on to me.

Put it with my two Bachmann Pollybulks and it looks like I remember them. I have to admit its been a while since I last saw one of these in a China Clay train

Late Nineties I Think behind a Transrail Dutch 56 on the Berks and Hants line heading in the Reading direction so cannot comment on accuracy!

I'm no expert all I know is I love it and look forward to getting my weathered example now.

Thank you Kernow and DJM for producing this lovely huge model which the more I look at the more I like it .

Cheers Trailrage 

rob D2 Did a few measurements for you 

Length over couplings     :- 248 mm

Length over buffers         :- 245 mm

Height over Rail              :- 51.5 mm

Buffer height above Rail :- 14.5 mm (Matches Bachmann Pollybuk)

Buffer Centres                :- 24 mm

Width over body             :- 33.2 mm

Width over chassis         :- 27.6 mm

Bogie wheelbase            :- 23.6 mm (scales out the same as Bachmann & Dapol) 

Bogie centres                 :- 172.5 mm

Wheel Diameter             :- 12 mm   

Difference in Height between the Bachmann Pollybulk and the PBA is just over 1 mm. Negligable in my opinion. 

Whoops Made a bit of a typo It definitely isn't as big as the Heljan Cargowaggon as my sausage fingers cant tell the difference between a 4 and an 9! 

Sorry about that. Lengths now adjusted from 295/298 to 245/248

:blind:

Edited by TRAILRAGE

• 2 months later...

Pictures of the weathered ones on their website.  I'm glad to see they've not gone overboard with the weathering as I really just wanted something to tone the white down a bit.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/29393/SB002E-DJ-Models-PBA-TIGER-China-Clay-Wagon-number-TRL-11626

The real ones weathered:

https://flic.kr/p/q3D2Sg

https://flic.kr/p/dWFaEU

Edited by BR(S)

Hi everyone,

A nicely packed box arrived from Kernow today which I’ve just opened. I phoned on Tuesday as it was 2014 when I ordered one and having seen the photos of the weathered ones added a second to recreate those Furzebrook workings. They will also come in handy for those Anglo Scottish speedlink workings too. Excellent service, quickly delivered and well done to Kernow/DJ for producing this interesting wagon type it’s been well worth the wait.

Many thanks

Mark

post-6863-0-32055700-1512774529_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

A nicely packed box arrived from Kernow today which I’ve just opened. I phoned on Tuesday as it was 2014 when I ordered one and having seen the photos of the weathered ones added a second to recreate those Furzebrook workings. They will also come in handy for those Anglo Scottish speedlink workings too. Excellent service, quickly delivered and well done to Kernow/DJ for producing this interesting wagon type it’s been well worth the wait.

Many thanks

Mark

attachicon.gifF9BDA598-F09A-4579-A1E5-5DFC195A33D7.jpeg

Did these arrive by a postal method that needs a signature please?  I'm hoping Kernow do this anyway, or they'll act on the e-mail I sent them, as I'm having trouble with "disappearing" post here.

Oh, and very nice they look too!

Edited by BR(S)

• RMweb Gold

Did these arrive by a postal method that needs a signature please? I'm hoping Kernow do this anyway, or they'll act on the e-mail I sent them, as I'm having trouble with "disappearing" post here.

Oh, and very nice they look too!

I thought with Kernow you chose the postal service you wanted?

Roy

• RMweb Premium

"A nicely packed box arrived from Kernow today which I’ve just opened. I phoned on Tuesday as it was 2014"

Lucky chap - I ordered 3 in 2012 and am still waiting!!!

I phoned KMC today to enquire if my order was on its way or close, but was advised that the dispatch of gate stock was taking priority and the PBA werent going out until the new year!! So, if like me you are patiently waiting for your wagon orders, tough luck was the impression I got  :stinker: