Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Mixing hobbies - Has it ever been done? (Scalextric)

Recently, I've been on a bit of a tangent from Model Railways, and have been stocking up on Scalextric Cars. This has prompted a thought.

Gauge 1 is 1:32nd scale, as is a standard Scalextric set. So has anyone ever mixed the two on one baseboard, and made a Model Railway with Gauge 1 track, that incorporates a Scalextric circuit? Or at least dabbled with the idea?

Granted, the board required would be rather large, but the idea, in my head at least, sounds brilliant! Running trains, and racing cars!

Regards,
Matt

• RMweb Gold

No reason why not, but the average UK house - or at least the average affordable UK house - might struggle to find the space.

Sad fact : the only man ever to win Le Mans in a car of his own making, Jean Rondeau, died in a level crossing event.

Well Triang did it in OO with Minic Motorways, I can remember seeing a nice (for the time) scenic layout with both road and rail in a 60s Railway Modeller although all Google images brings up is tables with stuff laid in a circuit on it.

It can be done.  It depends on ones disposable income as one hobby will absorb funds over others.  I have a train room for the O gauge which shares with Meccano aeroplanes flying above.  My other vice is Meccano building which finds models scattered around the house as there's nowhere else to put them.  Fortunately I have an understanding wife!  Then there's the organ and all the train books............................

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

I haven't yet found a horse that can run on 18.83mm gauge....

When I rode regularly, though, I'd always find mysef fantasizing about what a great 7mm layout you could fit into an indoors riding arena ...

• RMweb Gold

I mix my Hobbies of Electronics and Model Railways.

In theory, I save money by "Doing It Myself".

At least, that's what I tell myself every time I buy more electronic components/PCBs/software/programmer/etc!

Kev.

(Doing it the DIM-way!)

I toyed with an idea of generic woodland scenary with a 00 double track line looping the loft with cut down to one lane scalextric track being a road that ducked under and over it.

When it was mostly a railway the road would have looked a bit like it had double white lines down the centre,  remove the 1/76 model bus's and try to set a 1/32 best lap.

Didn't happen of course.

• RMweb Gold

Even better in P4, though.

Much of my riding was done at the stables owned by a crusty old Dutchman called Aard. He had particular ideas about riding and as far as we knew, he lived for his horses and they were all very well cared for. When he announced his retirement and the selling of the stables, it was a bit of a surprise when he said: "At last I have time in my life to play with my real passion, model trains!" All the riders clubbed together and bought him an ICE set for his retirement!

I occasionally combine model engineering and model railways- the last project was machined up about 10 years ago...and still is unfinished.  It's a chassis for a Sentinel 100 HP BE, made from brass on the big mill...that'd be 12x60.  It was a bit of a challenge to hold the bits in order to mill them, as the vice is a tad big for usual holding of 1/8th brass.

James

I haven't yet found a horse that can run on 18.83mm gauge....

You could go for this

post-12740-0-47626000-1406935015.jpg

Like the original poster says with Gauge 1 track etc...

or how about re-wheeling this

post-12740-0-94457700-1406935110.jpg

:senile:

Steve

Some hobbies are easier to mix than others. I'm into photography which goes quite well with model rail as I can photograph my layout for Internet forums etc. Another hobby I have is playing guitar and that's impossible to mix with model rail.

Cheers

Neil

Archived