Cardiff Clarence Road station

Jongudmund

Returning to the aerial photograph above - and some more trivia.

It will be noted that Cardiff General (now Central) is way off the bottom of the photo, and  the South Wales main line (on the right) and Penarth Harbour & Dock Railway (on the left, and now known as the City Line) run parallel until the latter crosses the mainline.

However two trains running parallel would, in railway parlance, be travelling in opposite directions.

A train travelling along the mainline from Cardiff General toward Swansea would be a "down" train - whilst a train travelling along the PH&D from Cardiff General to Radyr and beyond would be an "up" train (i.e. "up" the valley and "down" the valley as opposed to "Up" to London etc.).

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

The ex-LNWR Tyndall Street goods depot is now a hotel - albeit the origins of the building are obvious to those with a railway interest.

The LNWR had running rights over the Rhymney Railway to reach Cardiff Docks, and one of their locos was apparently kept at the RR Cardiff Dock shed (later GWR Cardiff East Dock) for shunting the Tyndall Street complex.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

• RMweb Gold

The first volume of John Hutton's rather nice little pair of illustrated books about the RR has a picture of an LNWR Cardiff bound train which went down a bank near Tirphil in 1925 - with what appears to be a Coal Tank under the various wagons.

Incidentally the LNWR Running Powers over the Rhymney only applied to freight trains.

Some shots of the former LNWR Tyndall Street goods warehouse located between Tyndall Street and the top end of the Bute East Dock.

The photos date from 1975/76 and 2012.

For those who know the area, a little further along Tyndall Street (as one heads toward Herbert Street and Bute Street) and almost adjacent to the LNWR warehouse the Cardiff Railway had their engine shed / workshops, a pokey little affair that in later years were the premises of Tubal Cain metal founders.

Like others on here, I can remember the large number of Cardiff Corporation trolley busses that stood for several years alongside the East Dock, awaiting their fate.

Brian R

post-1599-0-80945000-1409691370_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-83451600-1409691378_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-70184800-1409691388_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The first volume of John Hutton's rather nice little pair of illustrated books about the RR has a picture of an LNWR Cardiff bound train which went down a bank near Tirphil in 1925 - with what appears to be a Coal Tank under the various wagons.

Incidentally the LNWR Running Powers over the Rhymney only applied to freight trains.

The coal tank was cut up on site. I think it was one of the first withdrawals of that class, but I'm away from all my records tonight so cannot check.  

JM Dunn makes a comment about the Beames tanks widening the rails on the Rhymney so they were banned, but I've also read that the Rhymney tended not to use chairs and just spiked the rail to the sleeper, american style, and this may explain why the Rhymney tracks were not robust to take the large tanks with their long fixed wheelbase.

regards

• RMweb Gold

The coal tank was cut up on site. I think it was one of the first withdrawals of that class, but I'm away from all my records tonight so cannot check.  

JM Dunn makes a comment about the Beames tanks widening the rails on the Rhymney so they were banned, but I've also read that the Rhymney tended not to use chairs and just spiked the rail to the sleeper, american style, and this may explain why the Rhymney tracks were not robust to take the large tanks with their long fixed wheelbase.

regards

Photos indicate that the Rhymney had introduced chaired track by 1910 although it still seems to have had quite a lot track which appears not to have been chaired - again judging from photos c.1900.  The Beames engines didn't appear until 1923/4 so I would have expected far more chaired track to be present by then (which is the case in dated photos) although war time might have delayed relaying and up grading.

The RR Class A?A1s weighed 64tons 3cwt carried on 4 axles while the beames' engines had 88 tons on 6 axles  - hardly a scientific comparison I know as I can't find the individual axle loadings for either but i do wonder if the problem might more likely have been a tendency for the 8-coupled engine to derail rather than a matter of spreading the road?

I remember the Tubal Cain foundry. I worked with a couple of ex Tubal Cain employees later on in the nineties.

I can't imagine Novotel still having a foundry next door........

Ian

Ian

I would hazard a guess and say the Cardiff Railway shed and workshops later Tubal Cain is probably beneath what is now the ETAP Hotel, next door to The Novotel, the dock feeder appears to run alongside it - which probably gives the nearby apartments an up-market waterside air ?

Brian R.

• Like 3

Ian

I would hazard a guess and say the Cardiff Railway shed and workshops later Tubal Cain is probably beneath what is now the ETAP Hotel, next door to The Novotel, the dock feeder appears to run alongside it - which probably gives the nearby apartments an up-market waterside air ?

Brian R.

I love the idea of Tubal Cain; did he have a brother with only one? 

Tubal Cain was a character in the book of Genesis, one of the descendants of Cain. He was also the villainous character played by Ray Winstone in the recent film 'Noah'. Genesis credits Tubal-cain with being the first blacksmith, which I presume is why the foundry was names after him.

Now this thread has gone completely off-topic :no: (but that's OK because I started the thread)

• RMweb Gold

Tubal Cain was a character in the book of Genesis, one of the descendants of Cain. He was also the villainous character played by Ray Winstone in the recent film 'Noah'. Genesis credits Tubal-cain with being the first blacksmith, which I presume is why the foundry was names after him.

Now this thread has gone completely off-topic :no: (but that's OK because I started the thread)

Ah, but are we off route?

Proceed from Tyndall Street, through Herbert Sreet, to Bute Street.

Catch a No2 bus, down to Bute Place.

Then, a number 7A (is that correct?) to Dumballs Road.....

I'll probably get shot for this.....

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Brian , great to see your photos in this thread. I work in offices right next to the old Tyndall Street goods Shed. I have to say they've done a good job on the hotel conversion. I must get some old maps of the area, looks like a good modelling project . Also took a drive to the old site of Clarence road, which I remember well, but sadly nothing to see now, just rows and rows of modern flats.

Anyway , see you at the Cardiff show in a few weeks time. I am in Florida so will probably. Come back with the basis of a new US layout, I always do!

Tony

• 4 years later...

@Rhobat Bryn

Hello Rhobat and welcome to RMWeb,

I can't help you as I live to too far  now from Cardiff to attend the two shows, but you might want to look here:

and send a PM (Message) to br2975. I know the topic is for the Cardiff (Small) Show, but he and others that go there, no doubt go to the other show as well, and they probably know to whom you need to speak.

Hope it's of help,

Pob lwc,

Philip

Edited by Philou

6 hours ago, Rhobat Bryn said:

Does anyone know how I can get in touch with the owner of the Clarence Road O gauge model railway which I saw at Cardiff Model Railway Show some years ago?

That would be Derek Mundy.

I don't have his address to hand, he lives in North Wales.......but he advertises regularly in the Gauge O Guild "Gazette".

Brian R.