Allowable Light Engine Speeds North Eastern Region 1949

• RMweb Gold

While looking up something else I came across this in the North Eastern Region Working timetable for May to September 1949 and thought someone might find it useful.

SPEED OF LIGHT ENGINES

Engines when running light will travel at the maximum speeds shown below:

Express tender engines and mixed traffic tender engines   55 mph

Passenger Tanks    45 mph

Freight Engines  30 mph

Shunting Engines 20 mph.

David

I seem to recall that (on the LM region at least) drivers had a special "going home" type of coal - and diesel - that enabled the return to shed to be faster than setting out to work a train.

Mike

Thing is, with most steam locos not having a speedo how was a driver supposed to know exactly how fast he was travelling? A good many light engine movements take place at night and, as mentioned above,  heading for home quite likely via a couple of pints at the local hostelry/institute/railway social club, etc.

We came back empty from Manchester last night, all properly done, OTMR, TPWS, etc. prevents any speeding. Anyway the speed with a unit is the same empty or full, just that our headcode pushes us back down the pecking order. In previous times, I believe, many a driver would 'have a word with the bobby' if they wanted a decent run.

While looking up something else I came across this in the North Eastern Region Working timetable for May to September 1949 and thought someone might find it useful.

SPEED OF LIGHT ENGINES

Engines when running light will travel at the maximum speeds shown below:

Express tender engines and mixed traffic tender engines   55 mph

Passenger Tanks    45 mph

Freight Engines  30 mph

Shunting Engines 20 mph.

David

I suspect the freight engine limit would be broken by the mineral crews on Bonus work.

Mike

Thing is, with most steam locos not having a speedo how was a driver supposed to know exactly how fast he was travelling? A good many light engine movements take place at night and, as mentioned above,  heading for home quite likely via a couple of pints at the local hostelry/institute/railway social club, etc.

The older boys would work out an accurate(ish) speed by counting the number of rail joints. Speedometer or not, it was essential that a driver have some idea of the speed of his train.

However limits could often be viewed as any other rule if the conditions allowed it, e.g. "for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men".

Archived