Signal Wiring for DCC

I am looking at using the Berko ready made signals or possibly traintronics for my layout which is full DCC. Does anybody know how to connect them to DCC? I'm using a Hornby elite and railmaster software with ESU accessory decoders and that's all. I've already got some signal heads which are the wrong type! They are analouge versions of the trraintronics signals.

I'm not buying any signals for my layout until I have some idea as to how they need wiring for DCC operation.

It is best to buy signals that are suitable for DCC, and there are a few about. They either have to be wired for common anode if LEDs or have LEDs without any resistors attached. Analogue only signals will be both common cathode and have integrated resistors for 12V operation.

The ESU accessory decoders will operate common anode 2-aspect signals, but for better efficiency for other types you will be better off getting proper signal decoders. Traintronics make a hybrid part DCC part analogue decoder with limited control, TrainTech make specific 2-aspect and 4-aspect decoders and there is the very flexible Signalist SC1 signal decoder that supports the NMRA DCC extended accessory signal protocol.

All will work with Eckon/Berko signals which have individual LEDs wired to resistors that are easily removed if required, TrainTech which have no resistors or Traintronics DCC signals. An additional make worth looking at is CR Signals.

The modern way to connect signals to DCC is to use signals that just have LEDs with no resistors and connect them to a dedicated signal decoder that will control the brightness of the individual LEDs with CV settings and provide simple control.

It is best to buy signals that are suitable for DCC, and there are a few about. They either have to be wired for common anode if LEDs or have LEDs without any resistors attached. Analogue only signals will be both common cathode and have integrated resistors for 12V operation.

The ESU accessory decoders will operate common anode 2-aspect signals, but for better efficiency for other types you will be better off getting proper signal decoders. Traintronics make a hybrid part DCC part analogue decoder with limited control, TrainTech make specific 2-aspect and 4-aspect decoders and there is the very flexible Signalist SC1 signal decoder that supports the NMRA DCC extended accessory signal protocol.

All will work with Eckon/Berko signals which have individual LEDs wired to resistors that are easily removed if required, TrainTech which have no resistors or Traintronics DCC signals. An additional make worth looking at is CR Signals.

The modern way to connect signals to DCC is to use signals that just have LEDs with no resistors and connect them to a dedicated signal decoder that will control the brightness of the individual LEDs with CV settings and provide simple control.

I think I might just look at the traintech decoder option seeing as it is just simply plug and play. I did look at CR signals but I found them and absolute aspects to be a bit out of my price range.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

You can get around the common anode / common cathode incompatibility by using a latching relay (e.g. maplin n38aw, costs about £5) if you have basic soldering skills.

If you have RM you can then drive train-tronics / traintech / berko two aspect signals or shunting signals from an accessory decoder port.  With another latching relay you can control a feather from an upstream point setting.  Let me know if you want a wiring diagram.

If you have RM Pro you can control 4 aspect signals, with train-tech decoder or multiple ports of any accessory decoder.

Archived