Tonbridge MRC exhibition, Saturday 21st February 2015

ColinW

Tonbridge MRC will be holding its 34th annual model railway exhibition on Saturday 21st February 2015, in the Angel Centre, Angel Lane, Tonbridge, Kent, TN9 1SF.  Admission prices are:- Adults £6, children (between 10-16) £1 and children under 10 FREE.  Layouts booked to attend are listed below.

A glimpse of the Algarve         (N)

Acol                                        (OO)

Broadgate                              (OO)

Cartsdyke Yard                       (O)

Cheddar S&DJR                     (P4)

Chegham Down                      (OO)

Detford                                   (OO)

Dinas NWNGR                        (8mm)

Dudley Frey                            (N)

Hawkhurst                               (OO)

Haynes Lane                          (O)

Kew Bridge                             (OO)

Melbury                                  (N)

Mill Falls                                 (HO)

Mineral Point                          (HO)

Much Firkin                            (O)

Numchen                                (N)

Oldham Kings Street Parcels (O)

Oldshaw                                 (EM)

Port Louise                            (OO)

Sabins End                            (3mm)

Saltzgrabe-Salt Mine              (HOe)

Scullers Farm                         (N)

Whatlington                            (3mm)

Wittenden                               (O-16.5/09 dual gauge)

Yellow Ridge Mine                  (HO)

Hopefully the weather will be kinder towards us next year, than what it was this year.  For more information go to www.tonbridgemrc.com or e-mail TonbridgeMRC@yahoo.co.uk.

Colin

• 2 months later...

Here are some more layouts & traders booked to attend the show.

Layouts:

Bad Obing               (O)

Kingsdown North     (OO9)

Meinrheinszene       (N)

Willowbrook Marsh  (O)

Traders:

Ace Products

Boxfile Dioramas

C & L Finescale

Carriage & Wagon Models

Coastal DCC

Dart Castings

David Wills

Kent Garden Railways

Layouts4u

Matthew Cousins (Artist, also with Drive Thomas)

Mike Turner (Artist)

Model Railway Electronics

Modeller's Mate

Ray Morris

RCTS

Realistic Modelling Services

Roneo Models

Roxey Moldings

Simply Southern

South Eastern Finecast

Supercast

Wessex Wagons

Societies:

Spa Valley Railway

Tonbridge Model Engineering Society

Demonstrator:

Steve Sharp

We will be looking to add more shortly.

Colin

Would it be possible to have a brief one line description of each of the layouts?  Although I'm local enough to likely come along anyway it may just encourage a few others :)

I will talk to the exhibition manager about trying to arrange that, but I am no longer on the club committee so it may take a little time to get the information.

Colin

• 2 months later...

Here is some more details of what is attending the exhibition next year.

Layouts: Unfortunately Yellow Ridge Mine now cannot attend, but we have gotten Hemlock (3mm) as a replacement.

Traders:

Golden Arrow Productions

Invicta Model Rail Ltd

Railroad Trading

Videolines

Demonstrators:

Chris White SR Models

Jack Chalkley

Loco Doctors.

I am still trying to get brief descriptions of the layouts from the exhibition manager at this time.

Colin

Hopefully, myself and SWMBO will make it to the show next year even if I have to hire a boat.

There is flood defence work being carried out at the moment (they have drained part of the river to do this) so hopefully my (unofficial) part time work of giving continual updates and checking the state of the surrounding areas won't be called upon next year, I will look to confirm any travel problems just into the new year.  We will look forward to seeing everyone at the show.

Colin

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With the show now less than 4 weeks away, here is some information for people travelling to the show either by train or car.

Tonbridge Station is served by lines from Redhill, Tunbridge Wells, Hastings, Ashford, Ramsgate, Margate, Dover, Folkestone, Maidstone (West), Strood, London Charing Cross, London Waterloo East, London Cannon Street.  Please note only London Cannon Street services to Tonbridge will stop at London Bridge because of the rebuilding work taking place.  There are currently no booked engineering works to affect trains on the 21st.

The Angel Centre is only a 5 minute walk from Tonbridge Station, Leaving the main entrance at the station turn left and you will see Sainsbury's.  Walk towards that building, and then just walk to the far end and the Angel Centre is there.

If you are travelling in by car, please note that there will be no notices regarding the exhibition, but we suggest you follow the signs to Tonbridge Station or Sainsbury's, there will be streetsigns for the Angel Centre as you get closer to it.  There are several Pay & Display carparks, both short and long term stays, all within 5 minutes walk.

Colin

Unfortunately Cartsdyke Yard has had to withdraw from the show, but we have arranged to have Durham Road, an O gauge layout from Peter Clarke and the O gauge guild will have a stand as well.  The German Railway Society are also to attend.  Hopefully this will be the last changes :dontknow:  :unsure:  to what we have this year.

Colin

As we will be having the smaller C&L Finescale stand at the show again, if anybody requires things from them can they please make there orders with them by Monday 16th February, so that it can be collected from them at the show.

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Me and another RMWebber are certainly planning to be there unless the apocalypse happens beforehand - then we may just be a little late depending on parking.

We would prefer to have a nice quiet time next week in regards to the weather, last year was bad enough.  We look forward to seeing you at the show.

Colin

Just a quick reminder that if anyone is requiring items from C&L Finescale at our show, they will need to order them by tomorrow evening.

On a different note, this year we have an extra room, as well as the main sports hall, the Medway Hall, the foyer outside the Medway Hall & the Riverside suite (were the public catering is), we will be using the Jubilee rooms which is at the end of the foyer.  We will have club members and stewards in that area to help people out (there is also a disabled persons lift to help those people get to the Riverside Suite.)

The public catering area this year is larger, and as we are using an outside catering firm hot food should be available for the public as well.

Colin

Well the good news is that the weather is considerably better than for the show last year, cold but clear blue sky this morning in Kent, hopefully it will remain this way for the weekend.  In previous year's we have been fortunate to have a long queue build up before the show opens, and hopefully we will have the same this year, if this is the case then we will have someone try and sell tickets before the show opens to try and get as many people through the doors as possible as the show opens :unsure: .

Colin

I know it's probably a bit late now but if you have the members sales right next to the entrance again it does create a bit of a bottleneck there - much better somewhere else.

Although it may make no difference if all the best bargains have gone by the time I get to it...

Off to the show with Cromptonnut on Saturday :sungum:

Question for Colin W - Why did you choose to hold it on what looks like the only nice day of the weekend? Without wishing to sound like the miserable s*d that I am, I'd rather it rained whilst I was doing something inside and left Sunday bright instead!

Thanks for the heads-up regarding the queues. Maybe the best time to turn up is around 10:20 for the express service queue?

Jon

Off to the show with Cromptonnut on Saturday :sungum:

Question for Colin W - Why did you choose to hold it on what looks like the only nice day of the weekend? Without wishing to sound like the miserable s*d that I am, I'd rather it rained whilst I was doing something inside and left Sunday bright instead!

Thanks for the heads-up regarding the queues. Maybe the best time to turn up is around 10:20 for the express service queue?

Jon

From experience of the last few years visiting, once the queue gets moving it's fairly quick to get inside the building - the biggest problem is other groups using other parts of the centre, and people wasting Saturday morning shopping and clogging up the car park.

However, you don't want it to rain when you're queueing - that isn't pleasant.

In regards to the club's sales stand, as far as I know it is in the same position as normal, this is to give us some security as we have the admission desk, hop up collection point and sales stand in close proximity to each other, and agree that it can become busy around those areas. 

In regards to the weather, if we could control it we would have changed it last year for certain.  The day we hold the show on will always provide suggestions for us (the same why don't you hold a two day show question is repeated every year)

In regards to other groups using the centre, this year we have 5 main areas, meaning we are using the majority of the Angel centre, so shouldn't be much problem in the centre itself, as for the shopping people, we can use that to our advantage as well (Grandad/dad looking after the kids don't like wandering round supermarkets, so can come to the exhibition to kill the time.)

I am booked to be stewarding the door by the admission desk (not taking the money though), so please say hello if I'm not swamped with people asking questions. I'm the tall one with the beard and the only club member called Colin.

Colin

Archived