Early Railways Group

Does anyone know if the Early Railways Group still exist ?

I recall they advertised(about 10 years ago) as a small group specializing in modelling the pre 1870 period.

One particular layout was an 1850's CR end to end layout in 7mm.

I know there is another Early Railways Group, but I believe they only publish books/articles and are nothing

to do with railway modelling.

post-9584-0-42178900-1407163093_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not referring to this group...Early Railways Group of the Railway & Canal Historical Society? This is one of several Special Interest Groups (SIGs) within the RCHS...who appear to concentrate on publishing,

but the railway modelling people... At Telford they had a short plank with Scottish trains running back and forth (pun intended).

There  was  an  Early  Railways  Group  for  some  years  around  2000,  but  it  seems  to  have  died  out  about  10  years  ago.  My  membership  number  was  37,  so  it  wasn't  a  very  big  group.  The  early  Caledonian  layout  mentioned  was  built  by  Jim  Masson;  I  saw  it  at  the  Falkirk  show,  but  sadly  seem  to  have  lost  my  pictures.  It  was  a  wonderful  evocation  of  early  Caledonian  practice.  The  Group  included  a  number  of  more  or  less  weel  kent  faces,  but  were  all,  so  far  as  I  know,  O  Gauge  modellers,  whereas  I  was  and  am  committed  to  4mm  scale.

Allan  F

Thank's for the information Alan. I think the CR 'plank layout' may have been called 'Dewar Street'.

I saw it at Scalerail (New Lanark) and believe it was advertised to appear at the Preston Show two or three years ago.

When you say a number of 'weel kent faces', I assume you include  Mike Sharman.

post-9584-0-36769400-1409761882.gif

I  have  a  recollection  it  was  called  "Allison  Street",  but  I  could  well  be  wrong.  Yes,  I  think  Mike  Sharman  was  involved,  as  was  John  Boyle.  My  involvement  was  largely  via  the  Newsletter,  which  came  out  intermittently,  but  ceased  after  Dec  2004

Allan  F

• 4 weeks later...

There was an Early Mainline Railways conference in Caernarfon in June, apparently one of a series. See http://www.rchs.org.uk/trial/gwpf.php?wpage=EMLRC

The period covered was 1830 to 1870 so not very early.

[swag On] Some of my work was quoted by Grahame Boyes in the paper he delivered at that conference! [swag Off]

Well, it was .... Honest.

I did want to go to it, but it was over a weekend in Wales and was expensive in itself without the cost of accommodation.

Phil

• 1 month later...

Apart from any groups is anyone out there actually modelling early (say pre-1870) railways? (Apart from Broad Gauge).

Coming back after a good many years out of the hobby I fancy a change from the 00n3 I did before, and I've always found the early lines interesting. So some hints re information, drawings etc might be interesting.

There are some early kits for SER and LBSC prototypes I think, and I suppose a Manning Wardle I in original condition could be 1860's.

• RMweb Premium

There was a series of articles on early goods wagons in the HMRS Journal. Also, one or two of the books on company rolling stock have information, eg North Staffs, NER. There are photos of some earlyish PO wagons in the Gloucester wagons book. And there are a couple of 4mm kits for dumb buffered PO wagons. The Ince Wagons book also has some earlyish drawings.

For the GWR and constituents there is quite a lot going back to the 1860s and some a little earlier, eg the drawings in "The Great Western Railway. 0-6-0 standard gauge locomotives" by Mike Sharman (Oakwood). And of course in the relevant RCTS volumes. There are also histories of several of the South Wales colmanies which were absorbed by the GWR long before the Grouping - Carmartyhenshire Railway, Monmouthshire Railway etc.

There  was  an  Early  Railways  Group  for  some  years  around  2000,  but  it  seems  to  have  died  out  about  10  years  ago.  My  membership  number  was  37,  so  it  wasn't  a  very  big  group.  The  early  Caledonian  layout  mentioned  was  built  by  Jim  Masson;  I  saw  it  at  the  Falkirk  show,  but  sadly  seem  to  have  lost  my  pictures.  It  was  a  wonderful  evocation  of  early  Caledonian  practice.  The  Group  included  a  number  of  more  or  less  weel  kent  faces,  but  were  all,  so  far  as  I  know,  O  Gauge  modellers,  whereas  I  was  and  am  committed  to  4mm  scale.

Allan  F

Yes, I built the basic layout & track, Jim aquired it from me & I think widened it.  I ran it as CR 1900 ish, Jim took it further back to 1860s to 1880s.  We also took it to Elgin, if I remember correctly.

Duncan

Archived