Shillingstone

GRC

post-12201-0-99171000-1407184718_thumb.jpg

This is the outline plan for the Shillingstone Modules I'm going to build. The boards were set up in the Garden a couple of weeks ago. Ive done a bit of chopping down since so it will be two main boards for the station and Yard 4" by 2" and the 2 end boards are 4" by 18'. this will be a better fit in the car and slightly less work on the scenic side. I've started work on board 1 but probabaly done enough now until I finish making the track.

The basic landforms are now completed on module 1 as shown below.

post-12201-0-01980000-1407185681.jpg

post-12201-0-34861100-1407185690.jpg

post-12201-0-01552400-1407185696.jpg

post-12201-0-24305100-1407185702.jpg

• RMweb Gold

It's off to a good start. I haven't even fully decided on what I'm going to build yet lol.

Out of interest will you be using the Bachmann buildings? I have been told they are quite good but have never seen them compared to the real Shillingstone.

Gary

Yes this is the brief that I set myself for the design.

OO 8 Feet by 2 ( So it fits in my Railway Room) for the scenic area

4 Feet Cassette Fiddle Yards at each end covering both the main line and the extended sidings

To include the station and Yard area

Needs to all fit in the car (Back)

Points and Signals controlled by switches to be located somewhere on board

DCC Train control with sound fitted locomotives

Use range of Bachmann buildings

Build a OO layout for the first time based on utilising the Bachman Buildings in a way that would allow the layout to be operated across a variety of era's.

The Bachmann buidlings are a mixture of what has been photographed in the 50's -60's along with the restored station as it is now. Looking back at the photos and records its clear that the buildings wwouldnt have changed that much from when they were built until the railway closed in 1966. So assuming that then the things that set the time are the Stock, People (clothing) and the Vehicles

The S&D came under the control of the LMS in 1930 and at this point the existing S&DJR Blue livery was phased out on both coaches and engines. Running before 1930 becomes a little problematic and I need to check when the various engines were bought into service but assume I could potenitally go back to the Great War (1914-18) and run some other stock from different companies in this period.

Post 1930 the line came under joint control of the SR for the lines and buidlings and the LMS for the engines and coaches. The LMS appeared to have moved fairly quickly to replace all of the older S&DJR coaches from Highbridge and I assume started to use LMS period 1 coaches. Many of the S&D locomotives stayed on the line but were repainted, I assume over a period of time into the LMS Livery of plain and lined black. The coaches of LMS Maroon.

During WW2 (1939-45) there are a number of records again of lots of different engines and coaches running over the line.

The next transition period is Nationalistation in 1948. The LMS Livery engines and coaches being replaced by BR early period and blood and Custard coaches. The engines and coaches remain the same but maybe some BR MK1's start to creep into the mix

In 1956 BR change again moving to the Late emblem on the engines and back to Maroon and for SR stock green for coaches. There are lots of colour photos' of this period so this will reflect the latest period I will be modeling.

Summary

Early Period - 1915 - 1935 - SDJR Blue, LMS Black and Red coaches

Midde Period - 1940-1955 - LMS Black -Red - BR Early Emblem Blood and Custard

Late Period - 1955-1966 - BR early Emblem- Late Emblem Maroon and Green

Vehicles

Early Peiod - Mainly Horse Drawn, Some Steam - Very Early Cars/Lorries

Middle Period - Still Horses - Early cars and Lorries

Late Period - Cars and Lorries

Managed to get some work done on Module 4, yet another bridge I hope, spent the few hours whilst Bertha was being nice getting the base boards moving. The module will be open at each end with the rail at the top of the board. The middle of the board, where the river will be is around 3' lower. The plan is a straight forward girder bridge similar to one's that actually existed on the line.

In line with some of Kenton's design I'm planning to extend the 2nd line with a 50mm spacing between the centre lines across the bridge and board as well to provide the potential for double track operations in the future.

Next job infilling for the embankments and the river banks ready for painting and scenic works once I've built the track. I did get as far as sticking the sleepers for the 3 way point to the pattern so progress is continuing. I'm not going to lay anytrack though until I have it all made and can view in situ before glueing down.

post-12201-0-83856800-1407784048.jpg

post-12201-0-48602000-1407784053.jpg

post-12201-0-90147800-1407784058.jpg

• RMweb Gold

It's off to a good start. I haven't even fully decided on what I'm going to build yet lol.

Out of interest will you be using the Bachmann buildings? I have been told they are quite good but have never seen them compared to the real Shillingstone.

Gary

Very good apart from the horribly thick canopy supports.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifShillingstone Aug 2014 Modular V2.1.jpg

This is the outline plan for the Shillingstone Modules I'm going to build. The boards were set up in the Garden a couple of weeks ago. Ive done a bit of chopping down since so it will be two main boards for the station and Yard 4" by 2" and the 2 end boards are 4" by 18'. this will be a better fit in the car and slightly less work on the scenic side. I've started work on board 1 but probabaly done enough now until I finish making the track.

The basic landforms are now completed on module 1 as shown below.

attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

attachicon.gifphoto 2.JPG

attachicon.gifphoto 3.JPG

attachicon.gifphoto 4.JPG

Loosely based on Shillingstone? You seem to have some rather large earthworks. And the siding arrangement at the right-hand (south end) is quite different from the real thing.

Loosely based on Shillingstone? You seem to have some rather large earthworks. And the siding arrangement at the right-hand (south end) is quite different from the real thing.

Hi Joseph

The Southern end is compressed. In order to get the switch from the down line back onto the main line I've dragged the points back into the station . The plans show a more complex slip based  arrangement to I assume come on and off of the southern siding onto the main line. I'd need another board to put the correct junction in though. 

If you stand behind the station building then your on a hill and thats what I'm going to model. Point taken that it may be too high, Once the station building is in Situ I'll take another look and see if I want to cut it down some more. 

The northern module is a total fabrication but will either be based on bridge 185 or 171 at Sturminster Newton except the siding will be extended to the end of the board to support double track working in the modular environment,  I did initially think about bridge 180 but that wouldn't have been quite so exciting. 

Modular and space compromises abound I think when I did the initial sizing the station and yard would be around 16 feet in OO and I just dont have the space for that. So loosely based is what it is. 

• 2 months later...

Not a lot of progress on Shillingstone but had my first show now with Sturminster Halt (n Gauge). That means that its now in the spare room in storage and Shillingstone is now in my study with the buildings, track and platforms placed on for final sizing. No photo's of Shillingstone yet but a few of Sturminster to prepare for whats to come. 

post-12201-0-79614500-1414354269_thumb.jpg

post-12201-0-05173000-1414354275_thumb.jpg

post-12201-0-05856000-1414354281_thumb.jpg

post-12201-0-80132000-1414354285_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
After looking at the points on my workbench for several months and only making slow progress towards completing them I have finally capitulated and consigned them to the modelling box of the future when time is more readily available and I don't feel the need to see progression.  I'd made some progress with them  but still I think had over 7 days modeling required to complete the set required and get them ready for fitting.

post-12201-0-40261800-1417376388_thumb.jpg

The other rather schoolboy error was looking at them laid out and realising that each point was 2-3 inches longer than a Peco short radius point and with the longer 3 way was going to make the yard more cramped than I would have liked. 

I now have Peco Code 75 finescale points on the layout and have commenced with the tracklaying and preparation for wiring up. I've started drilling the holes for the point motors and dropped in all of the track power feeds. The RM Web modular setup requires that I separate the track bus from the control bus so I'll be feeding the cobalt point motors  under the baseboard from a secondary bus. As I will also have lights eventually I think thats 3 buses needed so will use some simple 6 way connectors for the internal connections between the boards. I've fitted a couple of these to Sturminster in the last few weeks to get that ready for its next show and quite happy with the ease of connection. 

post-12201-0-52246600-1417376389_thumb.jpg

post-12201-0-20435400-1417376390_thumb.jpg

Time to move, on time is now ticking as I have shows in the new year for Crawley Yard and Sturminster and both will need some minor tweaks and test running before then. 

• 4 weeks later...

Made some progress over the first week of Xmas.. All the track is now down on the two station boards with all the drop wires soldered onto the track and dropped below the boards. The plafforms are now fitted with the facing bricks front and back. Just need to fit the platform tops and then I can plaster the hills and start the painting.

post-12201-0-82502300-1419627704_thumb.jpg

post-12201-0-87195400-1419627757_thumb.jpg

post-12201-0-67641000-1419627787_thumb.jpg

Good to see progress and that we aren't all wasting the Christmas break!

I believe that this is to become a through station, yes?  I plan a terminus but obviously you can't have too many termini without junctions in a modular layout.

Gaugemaster have a 10% off sale on their website at the moment but if you ask for it in the shop they will give you the discount.

I picked up a bargain blue/grey MLV and a Heljan 33 that I've been after for a long time and haven't been able to find.

Base colours down on the station board, moved onto the southern modular link board now, some pictures of that later in the week.. Want to get the track down and electrics started before ballasting and returning to the scenery later

post-12201-0-01556500-1419977747_thumb.jpg

post-12201-0-99846900-1419977768_thumb.jpg

Worked on the southern end today, had to reduce the height of the hill and will also make some other landscaping changes. I.ll post some pictures of the northern end tomorrow but had to stop work on the track as I'm out of fishplates.

post-12201-0-60605100-1420063075_thumb.jpg

post-12201-0-12919200-1420063096_thumb.jpg

Northern end, bridge and viaduct profiling now in place, need some rail joiners to connect the track and then I can get that fitted. I had originally intended to do a river bridge but with the recent danger to br180 (haywards) which should have been the correct bridge to model anyway I did a quick field trip and decided to model that one.

post-12201-0-22799600-1420275672_thumb.jpg

post-12201-0-18765400-1420275701_thumb.jpg

post-12201-0-09339500-1420277235_thumb.jpg

Couple more pictures of progress to date. Finished the first fix with all the plastering completed, ran out of paint so stalled on that but progressed with the wiring with 3 boards now completed and one more partially done. Have the track bus and all the track droppers connected. Have the 2nd dcc bus for point control and light bus also installed.

post-12201-0-37958600-1420406785_thumb.jpg

post-12201-0-81710200-1420406820_thumb.jpg

post-12201-0-05823900-1420406861_thumb.jpg

Module Update, Both now have the tracks sprayed to tone down the tracks and sleepers (Humbrol brown Acrylic spray) and the base coat (green poster Paint) added to the scenic areas so these are ready now for the more scenic work. I changed the design slightly by moving the southern points out of the station and onto the southern end module. This means that the point wires will need to be extended from the control panel but as I will also have a signal down here i will extend the 4 wires for that as well. Going to use the DCC concepts dual signal controller as I have one on Sturminster halt and very pleased with its performance to date. I started work on the bridge using the scalescenes download but the colours and build aren't quite right so will use the basic format from Scalescenes but then modify to make it look closer to the actual prototype. Found some more picutres on Flickr last night (thanks Tim) so now know that the buildings in the Museum model were in place in 1964 but the Wickham trolley building had gone. This is going to leave me with a challenge and some thinking about how best to set the layout for 1920-1940.

post-12201-0-85695100-1420653139_thumb.jpg

post-12201-0-49353200-1420653160_thumb.jpg

post-12201-0-44347200-1420653208_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

No pictures this week but worked on the electrics on Saturday.. All the point motors on the main board are now installed and wired up to the second DCC bus. All the track drops are in and connected to the main dcc bus. I've installed a connection between the bus's for when they are not in modular mode. All the point motors, Cobalt have been set up for dcc and manual switching with the switch wiring coming back to a tag strip for the panel. This all took a lot longer than I expected but hopefully in the next session I'll get the frog power and to the switches and the frogs wired up.

Archived