Kits and designs for early locos and stock?

For some unknown reason, I have a pressing need to armchair model a pioneering days layout. Think various George Stephenson designs, Derwents and various other bizarre designs people tried back then.

Is there much available in kits or designs? I'd most likely do 7mm, since the point would be to enjoy the stock rather than the operations. Hell, might just build the rolling stock.

I saw the parlimentary trains wagons, coaches and locomotives at the LNWR society open day this weekend gone and the detail of them is just exquisite. The kits also look like they go together very well and will be a robust build. They very nearly prised my wallet open and tempted me away from LNWR 4mm to 0 gauge

David

Thanks, they look well. What sort of price are the 0-2-2s likely to be?

I've been thinking a lot about what it might have been like in those early days. It seems so strange to think that such primitive designs as the rainhill locos onward would have been the most advanced technology in the world at the time. Even more so to think that rail networks used to run them day in, day out. Seems a shame there's not one of that age still steamable-I know there's replicas, but it's not quite the same.

I would suspect they will be a similar price to the 2-2-2 so around the £275 mark, it might well be worth giving them an email and seeing if they have a price in mind and indeed if they are further alongthe line and ready to go

I would agree its a real shame that only the replicas are running, but at least they have been preserved for posterity. Its like any technology, the prime modern example being who would have believed that mobile phones could go from the initial humongous blocks down to what is for all intents a minature computer.

Archived