CP SD40-2 - DRF30-t 5915 - 5949. What length nose?

Northpoint

I'm working on a Kato HO CP SD40-2. I have researched the prototype and have established that the DRF30-t has the features that will best suit my model, namely, winterisation hatch, later style radiator grilles, plus the normal Canadian features - number board bell, nose headlight, single rear light.

BUT..... I can't find out anywhere the length of the nose on this series.

The Kato model has a very long snoot nose which is not appropriate as I gather the GMD snoot noses were a different length to the US ones.

So, the nose definitely needs to be shortened but is it a case of a Cannon & Co kit or an appointment with the razor saw?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the links, Vincent.

I have e-mailed Manny Jacob from the railbus.ca site and he says (quote):

"For 5500-5674 you need 81" and 5675-6080 is 102" long. Canadian Prototype
Replicas and Detail Associates made these nose kits years ago but they are
out of production now."

So, there you have it. Hopefully, that will be of use to anybody else contemplating a similar project.

It looks like the model will have to make a date with the saw and file after all!

The loco has had its meeting with the saw. Here is the latest:

post-6943-0-12973500-1407508871_thumb.jpg

The nose has been shortened, front steps replaced (Miniatures by Eric), nose headlight, bell (both also from Eric) and a coat of red paint.

That was yesterday, this is today;

post-6943-0-74372800-1407509037_thumb.jpg

Some decalling started.

Looking at protoype photos, it bears out the old adage of using photos to ensure you get it right. There is a huge variety of differences even within the same sub-class due no doubt to modifications over the years. For example, one photo of a particular loco with a winterisation hatch and another photo of the same loco without one. There's even at least one loco without the classic Canadian number board bell and a bell under the frame in front of the fuel tank.

Archived