BRM September + BRM Bumper Pack

Hi all,

The September issue of BRM, which includes TWO FREE GIFTS, goes on-sale as a Digital Edition on Friday of this week (August 8th) and in shops from next Thursday (August 14th). Here’s what to expect:

post-14186-0-32762700-1407313843_thumb.jpg

FREE DVD with EVERY issue: Bachmann: 25 years and beyond

Discover what makes Bachmann tick, how it chooses and researches its models, its approach to manufacturing and more! Includes a look at Bachmann and Graham Farish products for 2014/15!

FREE ‘Layout of a Lifetime’ mini-magazine: Over Peover

We take a look at John Ryan’s stunning O gauge ‘Layout of a Lifetime’. Includes some pretty amazing photography courtesy of a certain Mr Andy York!

4 Great Layouts

·         Foston Mills – Keighley Model Railway Club showcases some fantastic scenic modelling in a scale where everything is visible.

·         Troutbeck Bridge – Re-living his childhood memories of time spent in the Lake District, Andrew Butler’s 1960s OO layout has the Cumbrian feel.

·         Maxwell Colliery – Ayrshire and coal traffic have influenced Max Fowler enough to warrant the build of this OO layout.

·         Ashurst – Peter Rednall’s depiction of a railway in a state of decline adds a touch of narrow gauge to this issue.

Practical BRM

·         Figures – Phil Parker undertakes the challenge of making miniature figures look more realistic.

·         Layout mock-ups – Paul Lunn explains how planning a layout need not involve making lots of expensive mistakes.

·         Graham Farish 87 DCC conversion – Nigel Burkin offers a way to ‘chip’ this ultra-compact model.

Prototype Inspiration

·         Holiday trains – Editor Ben Jones compiles a brief history of these trains from a bygone era of our railways.

Products

·         What's New

·         Review: Bachmann 1F

·         Review: Heljan BR Garratt

·         Tried & Tested: Revell Airbrush Starter Kit

PLUS...

• Heljan Gresley 02 preview.
  • Interview: Gaugemaster on the company’s 40th anniversary.

• Administrators

BRM Bumper Pack

As with last month, a special BRM Bumper Pack will also be available. Priced at just £4.99 and available from WHSmiths stores (and as a Digital Edition - see below), the Bumper Pack includes everything included with the normal issue (magazine, Bachmann DVD and Layout of a Lifetime mini-magazine) PLUS an exclusive BRM TV DVD.

post-14186-0-82825900-1407315286_thumb.jpg

This 40-minute DVD, filmed at Locomotion, The National Railway Museum, Shildon, includes the following content:

·         Layout of the Month: Over Peover featuring John Ryan

·         Practical BRM: Phil Parker demonstrates dry brushing

·         Product Review: Rapido’s Jason Shron launches his APT-E model

·         BRM Archive: John Castle’s Bath Green Park

Only a limited number of Bumper Packs will be available, so be quick to avoid disappointment.

Are you a BRM Digital Editions user?

If the answer is ‘yes’, you can now get access to the DVD content for just 99p!

A special ‘September Bumper Pack BRM TV’ version will be available to download via the British Railway Modelling app (for iPad, Kindle and Android users), or www.pocketmags.com/BRM for those using a PC or Mac.

This 99p version only includes the DVD content and does not include the magazine or supplement. These can be purchased in exactly the same way as normal from just £2.25 an issue (if you subscribe).

Again I must say that you ignore the local shop, just remember what has happened to the local model shop we all decry loosing. I also think you do not think much of your customers who do not live in a town equipped with a Smiths. I wonder in the end if this strategy of not supporting local shops and rural customers will in the end lose you customers.

Again I must say that you ignore the local shop, just remember what has happened to the local model shop we all decry loosing. I also think you do not think much of your customers who do not live in a town equipped with a Smiths. I wonder in the end if this strategy of not supporting local shops and rural customers will in the end lose you customers.

As mentioned before hang fire on this; Rome wasn't built in a day. ;)

• RMweb Gold

BRM Bumper Pack

As with last month, a special BRM Bumper Pack will also be available. Priced at just £4.99 and available from WHSmiths stores (and as a Digital Edition - see below), the Bumper Pack includes everything included with the normal issue (magazine, Bachmann DVD and Layout of a Lifetime mini-magazine) PLUS an exclusive BRM TV DVD.

attachicon.gifsteve-fan-2.jpg

This 40-minute DVD, filmed at Locomotion, The National Railway Museum, Shildon, includes the following content:

·         Layout of the Month: Over Peover featuring John Ryan

·         Practical BRM: Phil Parker demonstrates dry brushing

·         Product Review: Rapido’s Jason Shron launches his APT-E model

·         BRM Archive: John Castle’s Bath Green Park

Only a limited number of Bumper Packs will be available, so be quick to avoid disappointment.

Are you a BRM Digital Editions user?

If the answer is ‘yes’, you can now get access to the DVD content for just 99p!

A special ‘September Bumper Pack BRM TV’ version will be available to download via the British Railway Modelling app (for iPad, Kindle and Android users), or www.pocketmags.com/BRM for those using a PC or Mac.

This 99p version only includes the DVD content and does not include the magazine or supplement. These can be purchased in exactly the same way as normal from just £2.25 an issue (if you subscribe).

So much for postal subscribers again - this is really hacking me off

Guest 838rapid

I was going to subscribe to this magazine after my experience with a.n. other mag ended less than successfully.

I have to agree that subscribers seem to get the raw end of the deal here too.

Think I shall buy one when I can be bothered,am glad I didn't pursue the subscription offer at the time.

Sorry,but I have to say I don't feel encouraged to subscribe at the moment.

That's fine and you may feel differently at a future point. I can't fully explain at present but it's frustrating when people have a grumble when we're trying something out; subscribers are getting what they signed up for but it's just that there's an additional product available at the present time too.

Sorry but based on previous experiences with BRM, even this bumper edition isn't enough to tempt me into Smiths! Or even buy one from my local model shop of I had one.

I will elaborate no further as last time I expressed my opinion I was somewhat lambasted.

• RMweb Gold

That's fine and you may feel differently at a future point. I can't fully explain at present but it's frustrating when people have a grumble when we're trying something out; subscribers are getting what they signed up for but it's just that there's an additional product available at the present time too.

Andy

The problem - as I see it - and correct me if I'm wrong  - is that I can't access the extras - which appear attractive - without paying twice. And this is now the second time?

regards

Chris

I apologise for raising the extra costs involved in getting hold of the bumper issues again, but it does strike me that BRM may be alienating some of its readership, which would be a great shame. It appears from your reply that perhaps these issues may be being addressed, lets hope so.

Another problem that may arise is if someone is asked to pick up a copy of BRM on behalf of someone else and end up getting the wrong version, have seen it with gardening magazines.

WH Smith have p***ed off a lot of people one way or the other and it would look like some people would rather do without than go to WH Smith, myself being one of them. Nisa have "independent" newsagents under their wings I understand, like my local newsagent, so WH Smith don't have to be used if the folk behind BRM are trying something out as an experiment. Just a thought.

Having two-versions of BRM was a bit off putting when I went to buy a mag last time, I thought at first that the price had gone upto a fiver, following in Bachmann's footsteps.  If the extra content was made available to subscribers as a thank your for their loyalty without putting the price up for them, it may well have gained more readers and more importantly, retained them. That said, I don't know the costs involved.

I very nearly subscribed to BRM but went with Hornby Magazine instead. Maybe when the subscription runs out in a year and something more appealling is offered.

• Administrators

Hi Westerner,

Ignoring the local shops (whether local newsagents or model shops who stock magazines) is the exact opposite to what we have planned for the coming months. Unfortunately, the only way to produce a 'Bumper Pack' is by putting it into a chain (either WHSmiths or a specific supermarket). I know this isn't ideal for everyone, but there is method in our madness - we will be revealing more on September 1st.

Sorry I can't say anything more at this stage, but like Andy has said there is a reason behind this strategy.

Steve

• Administrators

So much for postal subscribers again - this is really hacking me off

All postal subscribers will get the magazine that they subscribed to: BRM + Bachmann DVD + Over Peover supplement. The Bumper Pack is priced at £4.99 because it includes a very high quality, exclusive DVD - we simply can't produce a DVD of this quality and keep the magazine price at £3.75. I'd love to do this, but we'd lose money and we'd all be out of jobs. 

Like we've said, we'll be revealing more on September 1st - there's method in our madness!

• Administrators

Can you clarify please...as a digital subscriber do I get the Bachmann DVD as part of the issue or do I pay 99p for that?

All digital subscribers, and those who purchase single issues, get the Bachmann video content and Over Peover supplement free of charge.

The additional 99p purchase is purely for the Bumper Pack BRM TV video content.

• Administrators

Another problem that may arise is if someone is asked to pick up a copy of BRM on behalf of someone else and end up getting the wrong version, have seen it with gardening magazines.

WH Smith have p***ed off a lot of people one way or the other and it would look like some people would rather do without than go to WH Smith, myself being one of them. Nisa have "independent" newsagents under their wings I understand, like my local newsagent, so WH Smith don't have to be used if the folk behind BRM are trying something out as an experiment. Just a thought.

Having two-versions of BRM was a bit off putting when I went to buy a mag last time, I thought at first that the price had gone upto a fiver, following in Bachmann's footsteps.  If the extra content was made available to subscribers as a thank your for their loyalty without putting the price up for them, it may well have gained more readers and more importantly, retained them. That said, I don't know the costs involved.

I very nearly subscribed to BRM but went with Hornby Magazine instead. Maybe when the subscription runs out in a year and something more appealling is offered.

Hi,

You have raised some really valid points. Yes, we could have used an alternative 'chain' - either another newsagents group or supermarket - but WHSmiths is BRM's biggest outlet by quite some way, so to do a decent market test we needed to pick our biggest outlet. Also, to put a 'Bumper Pack' into a chain costs a significant amount of money and varies greatly from chain to chain. I know this isn't ideal for many people, and I apologise for that - more will be revealed on September 1!

I hope that our plans for BRM going forward, together with a series of very good subscriptions offers planned from November onwards, will persuade you to subscribe to BRM in the future.

Thank you for your comments.

Steve

Guest 838rapid

Let's hope this is worth waiting for and not a farce like the promises from the incumbent government.

Trouble is sometimes it's better to say nothing then make the "world changing" when you can.

Because when it doesn't tick all the boxes that people are now ho p ing to see it becomes a flop.

No Offence to all these that are making the promises,but sometimes least said easiest mended as my Nan used to say...

Andy, when I signed up for the subscription many years ago I was promised a free Annual edition but I no longer get that. I feel very annoyed about this latest move.

David

• Administrators

Andy, when I signed up for the subscription many years ago I was promised a free Annual edition but I no longer get that. I feel very annoyed about this latest move.

David

Hi David,

All BRM subscribers get the BRM Annual when we publish one. We didn't publish a 2014 Annual but we're already working on the 2015 Annual which you'll be sent in November of this year.

Steve

Archived