BRM September + BRM Bumper Pack

I was discussing today with one of my colleagues about the forthcoming threat of Vines, 6-second rants to the editor should be entertaining.

I will brain the first Viner I see doing a 6-second fly-by of every layout at Warley. ;)

Twitter has made us get our point across in 140 characters, but I would love to see anyone explain in 6 seconds that a loco has the wrong tender because it is modelled with 7 rivets less than the real version and how this should be corrected. Signalling in six seconds?

"You have six seconds to explain why the operation of 'layout X' is not prototypical.....GO"

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Twitter has made us get our point across in 140 characters, but I would love to see anyone explain in 6 seconds that a loco has the wrong tender because it is modelled with 7 rivets less than the real version and how this should be corrected. Signalling in six seconds?

"You have six seconds to explain why the operation of 'layout X' is not prototypical.....GO"

Mark

"It's not the way the GWR did it, so it must be wrong."

• RMweb Gold

Been on Holiday and just returned. I had hoped my subscribers copy would be waiting for me when I got home today, but no sign.  

I always thought that being a subscriber meant that we received our copies a few days before it appeared in the shops, but I guess not, as most months it seems to arrive after the published date.

Other magazines manage to give their subscribers their magazine early, why is it so hard for BRM?

Still one bit of bad news (for subscribers of September's edition) and one bit of good news.

• Administrators

I get a standard subs copy the same way as everyone else and mine turned up on Wednesday. Since it's late when everyone else's copy is late, I'd suggest that there must be a problem with your issue rather than a general one.

Is your postman partucally well versed on matters railway modelling? Just a thought...

• RMweb Gold

Most copies arrived on Wednesday Jack. Give the office a call on Monday if it's still not arrived then

Thanks for the reply Andy.

Not back at work till Wednesday so will give them a ring if not received tomorrow.

I get a standard subs copy the same way as everyone else and mine turned up on Wednesday. Since it's late when everyone else's copy is late, I'd suggest that there must be a problem with your issue rather than a general one.

Is your postman partucally well versed on matters railway modelling? Just a thought...

Don't think it's a postman issue as the other two similar publications always arrive before they appear in the shops. For some reason BRM always arrives either on the same day as its released in the shops or a day or two later. 

In 18 months I have been lucky if I have received more than 6 issues of BRM before they have arrived in the shops.  I keep hoping though!

Finally arrived on the Tues 19 August

Just thought I'd mention ,I really enjoyed the DVD with Over Peover , weathering how to and Bath green Park on .

Brian 

Hi,

You have raised some really valid points. Yes, we could have used an alternative 'chain' - either another newsagents group or supermarket - but WHSmiths is BRM's biggest outlet by quite some way, so to do a decent market test we needed to pick our biggest outlet. Also, to put a 'Bumper Pack' into a chain costs a significant amount of money and varies greatly from chain to chain. I know this isn't ideal for many people, and I apologise for that - more will be revealed on September 1!

I hope that our plans for BRM going forward, together with a series of very good subscriptions offers planned from November onwards, will persuade you to subscribe to BRM in the future.

Thank you for your comments.

Steve

Finally time to digest this thread a bit more.  Is there a plan to raise the subscription price? I noticed a price per copy increase which is a bit of a prelude to subscription prices rising.

How far in advance can one organise a subscription?  My wife was asking what I wanted for my Birthday and she finds it difficult to get things so, subscription dates depending, may go for BRM. It is a decent mag.

How do other subscribers find BRM's customer service in general?  In the event of something going wrong, some companies (like another model rail magazine which I terminated a couple of months ago) customer service was pretty disgusting, especially the amount of spam from them.  Having subscribed to another rail mag recently, am getting spammed from them as well so it really can be more than annoying so marketing e-mail is not in the slightest bit appealling,especially when firms do it when the customer has told them not to.  An extra flyer in a mag is preferable to having more rubbish in one's inbox.

One only has to read what other subscribers on the Great British Locomotives thread to know about (probably) deliberately poor customer service!

pick up the bumper pack from w.h. smiths nottingham on thursday only two copys left. Hat off to john ryan for his layout "over peover". not being a steam fan , but top marks for a great layout. enjoy the dvd's that come with the mag. not a bad package over all. regards steve.  

Finally time to digest this thread a bit more.  Is there a plan to raise the subscription price? I noticed a price per copy increase which is a bit of a prelude to subscription prices rising.

How far in advance can one organise a subscription?  My wife was asking what I wanted for my Birthday and she finds it difficult to get things so, subscription dates depending, may go for BRM. It is a decent mag.

How do other subscribers find BRM's customer service in general?  In the event of something going wrong, some companies (like another model rail magazine which I terminated a couple of months ago) customer service was pretty disgusting, especially the amount of spam from them.  Having subscribed to another rail mag recently, am getting spammed from them as well so it really can be more than annoying so marketing e-mail is not in the slightest bit appealling,especially when firms do it when the customer has told them not to.  An extra flyer in a mag is preferable to having more rubbish in one's inbox.

One only has to read what other subscribers on the Great British Locomotives thread to know about (probably) deliberately poor customer service!

I subscribed almost 2 years ago and every one has arrived before the shop shelf date, no issues, so never had to contact CS.

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

I subscribed almost 2 years ago and every one has arrived before the shop shelf date, no issues, so never had to contact CS.

Andy.

Same here - about a year on paper and then digitally ever since. I can;t comment on delivery times, but they always turned up a similar time every month, even taking into account Canada Post :no2:

Since taking it digitally, there have been a couple of problems, but these have been fixed really quickly, and Steve on here has been great at keeping me up to speed on what's going on. Haven't had a single problem for (touch wood) ages.

• RMweb Gold

Watched the 'DVD' last night.. Very cool, I have no interested in an APT-E, but having seen what they are doing and how energetic they are about it, I want to buy something from them!!!

Because the digital download uses youtube to stream, I can use it throughout the chromecast to my TV. But that's probably too much technology for these parts ;)

• Administrators

Hi John,

Yes, subscription prices will also be increasing from October 1st, so if you're considering subscribing to BRM it might be worth looking at this option before this date. Our best deal at present is just £10.49 a quarter by direct debit, plus we send you a Scenery Gift Pack worth over £50: www.model-railways-live.co.uk/Store/-999/Subscriptions/

As for your question about how far in advance you can subscribe: it's fine to subscribe now, but delay the subscription start date for a number of months. Best to ring our subscriptions team and let them know which issue you'd like it to start from: 01778 392002.

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, feel free to send me a PM and I'll do my best to help.

Steve

Associate Publisher

Purchased my last digital edition for the Kindle as multiple pictures are still blank and the video just keeps cycling around stills, some of which are nothing to do with railway modelling a bit iffy.

Will return to the occasional purchase if in the vicinity of Smiths.

Perhaps worth noting that I also download the Tamiya magazine to the same Kindle without any issues, so it's not the machine.

regards

Stewart

Picked up mine from Sainsburys this morning. Interesting interview in the Dvd. Confirms my choice of going O gauge to limit what I spend on the layout due to space limitations. Nice mix of content. When I finished with it I will pass it on to my Dad whos into 00-9. Often the forgotten scale. I don't buy the magazine every month. Only if there are at least 2 articles that interest me. Not sure about the free DVD. I would have watched the interview on BRM live anyway. But 3.75 is getting a bit steep for a magazine. Probably there are too many railway modelling magazines out there at the moment. 

Archived