BRM September + BRM Bumper Pack

Hi Steve, Thank you for your prompt reply to my post to Andy. I will look forward to the "Usually Annual" later this year. The key words in my post are "very annoyed" but it seems you can do nothing about this until later.

Best regards,

David

Hi David,

All BRM subscribers get the BRM Annual when we publish one. We didn't publish a 2014 Annual but we're already working on the 2015 Annual which you'll be sent in November of this year.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

I hope that our plans for BRM going forward, together with a series of very good subscriptions offers planned from November onwards, will persuade you to subscribe to BRM in the future.

I haven't bought a regular 'monthly' for years, preferring to pick up what suits best each month. I have been leaning towards a subscription for a while as BRM regularly ticks the right boxes (going by the number of each mag I have bought) If the N gauge content is up, then its a winner for me! I will hang on a couple of months and see what tempts me...

Let's hope this is worth waiting for and not a farce like the promises from the incumbent government.

Trouble is sometimes it's better to say nothing then make the "world changing" when you can.

Because when it doesn't tick all the boxes that people are now ho p ing to see it becomes a flop.

No Offence to all these that are making the promises,but sometimes least said easiest mended as my Nan used to say...

Hmm, we get a criticism so we respond to say that we're doing something. I/we could have chosen to say nothing but that would have been wrong too?

Neither Steve or I are standing for election for government so at least you're safe on that score. ;)

• RMweb Gold

Neither Steve or I are standing for election for government so at least you're safe on that score. ;)

I'd vote for you Andy.I see you spend more time in my constituency than my local MP does anyday. ;)

Hi David,

All BRM subscribers get the BRM Annual when we publish one. We didn't publish a 2014 Annual but we're already working on the 2015 Annual which you'll be sent in November of this year.

Steve

Well I subscribed Apr 2013 to Apr 2014 and never recieved a Annual and have never read before I was entitled to one. Or is the 2014 issue the one for last year or this year coming? Perhaps a lot of people should get a part refund ?.

I never got a renewal offer and or reminder for the next subscription either, so gave up at that point. So far I have only purchased one issue since, so saved money as well.  :O

So if I've understood this correctly....

Digital Subscribers - get the standard digital edition. Additional content can be purchased for 99p

Digital single purchase - can purchase the standard digital edition for the standard price. Additional content can be purchased for 99p

Magazine Subscribers - get the standard paper edition. Additional content can be purchased online for 99p as per the digital copy

Magazine single purchase - can choose to buy the standard paper edition for the standard price. Or can buy the Bumper Edition for an additional cost.

If that's correct, what are people complaining about? Every subscriber gets exactly what they subscribed to - the standard edition. Everybody also gets the option to purchase additional content for an additional cost. Nobody gets the additional content for free. Everybody has the same options.

If I've got this wrong then please explain where I've got it wrong. As far as I can see subscribers still get a good discount on the standard magazine, either digital or paper. The additional content is available to everybody at what appears to be the same additional price, which is expected as it is ADDITIONAL content, not standard content. Ok you don't get it on DVD, but you can't read this post without a computer and the internet so there is no excuse to avoid the E-copy and this can't be used as a stick to beat the publishers with.

Mark

All digital subscribers, and those who purchase single issues, get the Bachmann video content and Over Peover supplement free of charge.

The additional 99p purchase is purely for the Bumper Pack BRM TV video content.

Thanks Steve for clarifying that. Looking forward to the mag tomorrow!

I can make only four comments regarding the above .

1.  A month or so ago I picked up BRM in Smiths and it was not until I got to the auto checkout thingy (do-it-yourself) that I realised I had picked up the so called bumper edition - didn't realise it was "bumper" - it was in a bag with other stuff much as usual, if I recall.  I don't believe there was much telling me on the shelf that there was a normal and so called bumper edition to choose from.  Perhaps someone needs to do some work on this.  Admittedly, I was too lazy/rushed to cancel the purchase, retrace my steps and find the cheaper mag.  Having perused the extras, I really didn't think it was worth the extra dosh, so probably won't bother again depending on the additional content.  Wiser now.

2.  An "annual" is an annual, not a biennial, biannual, or publish when you please periodical.  Anyone buying a publication entitled "2012 annual" in 2012 would expect to see a 2013 annual the following year, unless the publication has gone under.

3.  What is so special about 1 September that prevents any further disclosures at this time?  Frankly I can't think of any appart from The Official Secrets Act.

4.  I live just outside London but still have to travel at least 10 miles to find my nearest Smiths.  However, there is a Martin's newsagent in the next village.  Is this chain envisaged as part of the "BRM Bumper Club"?

Regards,

Regards,

• RMweb Premium

3. What is so special about 1 September that prevents any further disclosures at this time? Frankly I can't think of any appart from The Official Secrets Act.

Regards,

Ahh. We haven't had an embargo since last week following NRM announcement and the Bachmann underwhelming news we had all been looking forward to since Christmas. It's nice of BRM to give us something to speculate about . I've certainly had withdrawal symptoms

Will hunt out the special edition at WHS , last time ironically I could only find the normal edition.

3.  What is so special about 1 September that prevents any further disclosures at this time?  Frankly I can't think of any appart from The Official Secrets Act.

Because we want to look at more data.

last time ironically I could only find the normal edition.

Which is quite possible if all the bumper packs sold first (or it wasn't arranged on the display as it should be or if everyone bought the wrong one ;)).

Hmm, we get a criticism so we respond to say that we're doing something. I/we could have chosen to say nothing but that would have been wrong too?

Now you know how Hornby feel. :jester:

Hi guys

I am keen to get my hands on the new digital edition but on my ipad it's not really clear what option I should be picking. I can see the normal mag for £2.99 and then I can see the TV edition for £3.99 even though the title states this should be 99p. When I look at the contents for the tv edition all I can see is the front page if you will of the dvd ?

I am assuming that if I take this second option I will also get the mag - even though I can't see that stated anywhere ?

HELP - I want my fix of BRM and I want it NOW !

post-20732-0-08010600-1407503231_thumb.jpg

So if I've understood this correctly....

Digital Subscribers - get the standard digital edition. Additional content can be purchased for 99p

Digital single purchase - can purchase the standard digital edition for the standard price. Additional content can be purchased for 99p

Magazine Subscribers - get the standard paper edition. Additional content can be purchased online for 99p as per the digital copy

Magazine single purchase - can choose to buy the standard paper edition for the standard price. Or can buy the Bumper Edition for an additional cost.

If that's correct, what are people complaining about? Every subscriber gets exactly what they subscribed to - the standard edition. Everybody also gets the option to purchase additional content for an additional cost. Nobody gets the additional content for free. Everybody has the same options.

If I've got this wrong then please explain where I've got it wrong. As far as I can see subscribers still get a good discount on the standard magazine, either digital or paper. The additional content is available to everybody at what appears to be the same additional price, which is expected as it is ADDITIONAL content, not standard content. Ok you don't get it on DVD, but you can't read this post without a computer and the internet so there is no excuse to avoid the E-copy and this can't be used as a stick to beat the publishers with.

Mark

Whilst I agree with all you've said, my point for those that normally get the normal BRM from their local shop, not only have to spend the extra pound for the Bumper issue ie Layout of a lifetime,( which if I remember used to be free when the original series started) but also have to spend on travel and/or parking expenses to be able to buy the Bumper Issue. Thus upping the cost by as much as £8-00 or so.

However I wait for the 1st Sept. with baited breath.

Whilst I agree with all you've said, my point for those that normally get the normal BRM from their local shop, not only have to spend the extra pound for the Bumper issue ie Layout of a lifetime,( which if I remember used to be free when the original series started) but also have to spend on travel and/or parking expenses to be able to buy the Bumper Issue. Thus upping the cost by as much as £8-00 or so.

However I wait for the 1st Sept. with baited breath.

You've got this slightly wrong. The bumper issue includes the BRMTV DVD content as the extra, the layout of a lifetime supplement is also included with the standard edition.

Whilst I agree with all you've said, my point for those that normally get the normal BRM from their local shop, not only have to spend the extra pound for the Bumper issue ie Layout of a lifetime,( which if I remember used to be free when the original series started) but also have to spend on travel and/or parking expenses to be able to buy the Bumper Issue. Thus upping the cost by as much as £8-00 or so.However I wait for the 1st Sept. with baited breath.

You also have the option to purchase the additional content as an online purchase to view either on a tablet or a laptop/PC for 99p. No need for travel or fuel costs or parking or a needless DVD and it's additional packaging. View it online, save or delete as required, and no damage at all to the environment.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Well, I paid my money, made a cuppa and sat down to watch the video on my iPad. I thought it was great, and my wife found the background music very relaxing, so we both won. It couldn't have been easier to pay for and view, so thanks for that. Definitely worth the money.

I hope you don't mind me mentioning that, although you get a message on the page with the video on it, it might be worth pointing out *before* people pay for the extra, that you don't download it to watch later, but stream it with an active internet connection. It would save people complaining that they can't watch it while sat on Rockall or something. ;)

Looking forward to the next announcement.

I can make only four comments regarding the above .

1.  A month or so ago I picked up BRM in Smiths and it was not until I got to the auto checkout thingy (do-it-yourself) that I realised I had picked up the so called bumper edition - didn't realise it was "bumper" - it was in a bag with other stuff much as usual, if I recall.  I don't believe there was much telling me on the shelf that there was a normal and so called bumper edition to choose from.  Perhaps someone needs to do some work on this.  Admittedly, I was too lazy/rushed to cancel the purchase, retrace my steps and find the cheaper mag.  Having perused the extras, I really didn't think it was worth the extra dosh, so probably won't bother again depending on the additional content.  Wiser now.

2.  An "annual" is an annual, not a biennial, biannual, or publish when you please periodical.  Anyone buying a publication entitled "2012 annual" in 2012 would expect to see a 2013 annual the following year, unless the publication has gone under.

4.  I live just outside London but still have to travel at least 10 miles to find my nearest Smiths.  However, there is a Martin's newsagent in the next village.  Is this chain envisaged as part of the "BRM Bumper Club"?

Regards,

Regards,

Same here I don't drive so have to bus into town £3.75 return to get to smiths Mag £4.99 + £3.75 news agents five mins round the corner / went for the bumper last month but i find most of the main model railway magazines much the same now some times with one thing of interest to me but don't like spending £4.00 just for a couple of pages of interest

• RMweb Gold

The September issue of BRM, which includes TWO FREE GIFTS, goes on-sale as a Digital Edition on Friday of this week (August 8th) and in shops from next Thursday (August 14th). Here’s what to expect:

Hrumph.....mis-read the date for the paper edition.......walked to local shop at lunchtime (with stiff back, after failed overhead kick in football yesterday)...........browsed the shelves...........had to move Biker/Tattoo Girls magazine to find BRM..............almost bought last month's copy again  (recognised Allan Downes' buildings just in time)..........walked back to work with nothing to read......... checked the dates again........grrrrrrrr.

Must read the dates correctly for October's issue.....

Hrumph.....mis-read the date for the paper edition.......walked to local shop at lunchtime (with stiff back, after failed overhead kick in football yesterday)...........browsed the shelves...........had to move Biker/Tattoo Girls magazine to find BRM..............almost bought last month's copy again  (recognised Allan Downes' buildings just in time)..........walked back to work with nothing to read......... checked the dates again........grrrrrrrr.

Should 'ave gone ta Specsavers ! :)

• RMweb Premium

Your not the only one Stubby. Toured WHS Glasgow only had last months version. Should read the on sale date. But by my reckoning this means Railway Modeller Hornby Mag and BRM will all arrive at same time, so I'll browse before buying one

I bought the digital magazine and then the TV show too for 99p

I enjoyed the article on Over Peover in the mag supplement and of course the photography was fantastic. BUT - when I saw the layout again on video it brought a whole other dimension to my appreciation of the layout.

I also really enjoyed the Bachmann interview - I especially found the plates of parts to be assembled really drove home the cost implications nicely. I make models for a living, so I suspect I might have a different perception to some people in regards to the value of a finished model based on the time involved to make it , but I think that article might have made a few other people who think RTR models are expensive have a second thought.

But back to the digital content - I have seen this done elsewhere of course but I think this is some of the best I have seen. I can't wait for next months TV show

I am a complete magazine addict and have been for well over 30 years ( covering numerous topics ) but I think I might have just witnessed the future of model railway magazines

• Moderators

Well, I paid my money, made a cuppa and sat down to watch the video on my iPad. I thought it was great, and my wife found the background music very relaxing, so we both won. It couldn't have been easier to pay for and view, so thanks for that. Definitely worth the money.

I hope you don't mind me mentioning that, although you get a message on the page with the video on it, it might be worth pointing out *before* people pay for the extra, that you don't download it to watch later, but stream it with an active internet connection. It would save people complaining that they can't watch it while sat on Rockall or something. ;)

Looking forward to the next announcement.

JCL, glad you enjoyed it. Yes, the message can be included before. Thanks.

Hi all, just got my September issue through the post and I must say it looks very good with a nice bit by Paul Lunn and Phil's figure painting.

My only disappointment was that the Track Plan for Over Peover has been lost in the post, shame really as I'm always interested in different peoples take on track and space irrespective of scale or gauge.

Andy.

Archived