Brinkly

• RMweb Gold

I had occasion to drive past the site of the erstwhile bow string girder bridge today, and even made a comment to the effect that you were building a model of the former station that used to be just up there above the road.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh, this looks to be a very good start Nick!  I wondered some time back whether this was going to happen after some previous preliminary posts.  I always like seeing 'Rice plans', he has a way of setting the scene & suggesting how the finished article will (should!) look, far better than some computer based design packages. The bare boards look impressive on their own, far removed from the flat rectangle which is the extent of my abilities....

Definitely one to watch; even though it's not my chosen era or company, some layouts just have that certain something which makes them essential viewing! ;)

Brilliant to see you have started Nick, I will follow with great interest. I've always liked Iain Rice's plans and this looks excellent. Thoroughly enjoyed the photos of the real Horrabridge. Good luck with the layout. It looks simple yet with the number of trains you've mentioned it looks as though it will be interesting to operate.

• RMweb Gold

Good to see you've started a thread at last. So what happened to 00-SF? You change your mind more often than a woman.

:wub: P4 is decidedly cheaper than women!

Well as Dave Harding said, '... once they (Scalefour Society) have you, there's no letting go!' ;)

I have discovered a box of P4 track, which would be silly not to use. And that stock kind of persuaded me last week.

I had occasion to drive past the site of the erstwhile bow string girder bridge today, and even made a comment to the effect that you were building a model of the former station that used to be just up there above the road.

Small world CK! I wish I'd had chance to travel on the branch, although not being born till 1986!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Sensible comment for once from me.........I knew it quite well, but sadly after it was closed!

Lovely woodwork BTW. Such graceful curves and superb joinery.

Phil

Thanks Phil,

Maurice Hopper designed and built the boards, he really has done a cracking job!

Thanks for all your encouragement gents. Tomorrow will see the next board having the cork treatment, followed by some track laying on the embankment approach board, with any luck!

Regards,

Nick.

• Like 4

Great idea for a layout.  Always glad to see the Tavvy branch on any shape or form, or scale!  Used to travel on it many years ago and anything concerned with the line and its surroundings is of interest to me.  Relatives used to have a house at Shaugh Bridge and my father knew the station staff at Bickleigh well.  That would be another fine model as well as Yelverton with the Princetown branch and of course Tavistock which would be a fair size.

Shall look forward to the progress.

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Nick, I'm very impressed by your collection of pasta sauce. You'll need some Rivarossi locos to go with that!  :jester:

Very nice to see progress on Horrabridge. Maurice's baseboards really look good. Are these additional to the ones you built in the attic earlier or a new beginning? The photos are very evocative, that bridge is quite special, looks like an intricate bit of modelling!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This really is very nice. Will be watching this with interest.

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

It's about bl**dy time to! been wondering where you have been! ;)

He's been where I've been but maybe not for as long!!!!!!!

However, as this is P4 I'm going to remain sensible and only comment on railway related matters.

post-2326-0-23539400-1407396893.jpg

Shaugh Tunnel.......is the old line now Drake's Trail by any chance?

If so it would be worth a trip down to my old home area to have a ride/walk on that.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you again for your comments above gents, I won't reply to all of them, simply as it would be a similar comment for each.

The track reverse wiggle through the platforms doesn't feel right to me.

Thank you for your comment Miss P. :good:

The platforms themselves are on a similar curve to the prototype, what we, or really Iain did, was to curve the bridge section the wrong way and curve the refuge sidings more than they should be. Unfortunately there was no way that a 'scale' version would fit in the space intended for the layout - it would have been close to 34 feet! :O

During the design stage Iain and I did contemplate curving the station the wrong way - thus having the whole layout on a continual curve. The reason this formation was chosen over the first option, was for viewing purposes, as the station clings to the side of a very steep hill. So if we opted for the reverse curve approach the layout would be view from the higher side of the hill, if that makes sense, looking down into the valley below, which nor Iain, myself or other DRAG members thought would be very good!

In an ideal world I would have loved to have made the layout to its scale size, but really it wasn't an option! 34 odd feet, plus two 6ft fiddle yards for a small ex GWR passing station is too big, even for P4 tolerances! :P

Kind regards,

Nick.

Edit - Typo!

Edited by Brinkly
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Greetings.

Two days of progress in a row, good lord!

This morning saw a flying visit to Exeter to collect the Templot paper plan from Maurice Hopper, followed by a visit to the opticians. The latter has revealed that I am quite short sighted, far worst that I thought, so Mr Brinkly from tomorrow will be equipped with a pair of glasses - intelligence levels will remain the same!  :jester:

Anyway onto more practical matters. Further progress has been made today; rubberised cork now spans both boards and has had 9 hours of the traditional 'pasta sauce' treatment. ;)

I've taken a couple of pictures, one shows the track formation looking towards Tavistock, the second looking back towards Plymouth. I particularly like the view looking towards Tavistock and cannot wait to set up the next two boards which should arrive at Brinkly Works next week.

post-7376-0-30040200-1407436653_thumb.jpg

Towards Tavy

post-7376-0-20449700-1407436630_thumb.jpg

Towards Plymouth.

The final photo shows the basic track building components. C&L Hi-Nickel rail (which I must confess does look like steel), Exactoscale sleeper bases and Exactoscale 2-bolt GWR chairs. (I've removed one set of webs.)

post-7376-0-25379400-1407436727_thumb.jpg

I spent a couple of hours this afternoon threading chairs onto the rail, whilst listening to Iain Fleming's Moonraker, which I feel is the best Bond book he wrote. I had planned to start work on a point this evening, but have discovered that the blades are made from steel and not nickel silver, which is a tad annoying, but not the end of the world. An order has been placed with C&L so that job will have to wait till Monday. However, plenty of other jobs to be getting on with.

Once again thanks for reading/looking/commenting. This is one of the main reasons why I am a member of RMWeb. :friends:

Regards,

Nick.

P.S. I meant to write in my first post many thanks to Taz and Captain Kernow, who have been a sounding board over the years whilst on the way to DRAG. I'm sure the pair of them must be feed up with my dreaming... :blum:

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Looking a good start, the curves and changes in height look rather good.

(and I agree, Moonraker was definitely Flemming's finest, such a shame the film was so completely awful)

Thanks Rich, I'm really looking forward to the bridge board, although that is probably a long way off.

Yes, Flemming must have been turning in his grave over that film!

Regards,

Nick.

• Like 1